No Respect ???

Kip Powick

CNN) -- A 68-year-old Idaho man has been charged with misdemeanor battery after police say he struck a teen who would not turn off his iPhone while the plane they were in was taxiing for takeoff.The incident took place Tuesday evening on a Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Boise, Idaho, said Lt. Kent Lipple of the Boise police.

The man, Russell Miller, was arrested after the plane landed, Lipple said.

Miller told police that the 15-year-old boy refused to turn off his phone after directions from the flight crew. The suspect "felt he was protecting the entire plane and its occupants," Lipple said.

According to the police report, Miller said he smacked the boy with the back of his hand to get his attention. Officer, however, said the incident left a mark on the boy's shoulder

Morning Malcolm,

I pondered over the title of the post and came up with "No Respect" in order that the issue could be taken up with both individuals.....wink.gif

The gentleman had no respect for the teenager...

The teenager had no respect for the gentleman....( I guess, to a degree, this individual had no respect for the crews direction as well)

Both had no respect for each other and the entire incident should have been handled by the cabin crew. The gentleman should have "reported" the kid to the crew and if the teenager did not abide by the instructions from the crew......then the crew could have come up with a solution.

Regarding "respect" ...it is a two way street with youth/adults and examples can be drawn from each side concerning "lack of".

In the present time is there more, or less, respect for the older generations than was expected in days gone by......???

Everyone has their own opinion on that point and there will never be a clear cut answer as the subject is highly debatable.

My iPhone has an "airplane mode" where it turns off all transmitters on the device. It then becomes, essentially, an iPod. Is there a restriction on such devices?

Could the gentleman have overreacted to what was merely a kid playing games on a non-emitting iPhone?

Just a thought...

On my Jazz air flight this past weekend from YEG to YYC the F A announces to turn off all electronics until we were at crusing altitude. Sometime later maybe 15 mins people started turning on the electronics. As we were taxing to gate in YYC it was announced it was ok to turn on elctronics.

Most likely rules vary by airline.

Too bad the older gent struck him, not right, the crew should have handled the situation.

I had my iphone in airplane mode.

:cool::cool::cool:

My iPhone has an "airplane mode" where it turns off all transmitters on the device. It then becomes, essentially, an iPod.

Is there a restriction on such devices?

In Canada, the answer is yes. You can now use your phones once we leave the runway on arrival, but as far as Canada goes, any and all electronic devices must be turned off and stowed for taxi, takeoff, descent and landing. Not just put in aiplane mode, but turned off and stowed. Could very easily be different in the States though :Scratch-Head: .

Speaking of no respect, I saw a beaut in US Customs a few weeks ago.

There are some signs around (not right in your face, granted) that show no cameras and no cell phones while in the cattle pens. A middle aged man was texting and a cop came up to him and told him to put away his Blackberry. The guy said "Yeah, Yeah".. and kept on texting. The cop gave him a couple of seconds, then said, "I'm serious, put it away now". The guy said "Yeah, just a second, I'm doing something here". The exchange had gone on for the better part of a minute, so the cop reached over and pulled the BB out of his hand and walked away with it, to the idiot's obvious objections. We were called to the desk right then, so I didn't see the end of the transaction.

I don't know if or when the guy got his beloved tool back but I thought it was a deserved reaction to someone who thought their personal communication was above the rules, valid or not.

There are lots of idiots out there who think that rules are written for other people.

"There are lots of idiots out there who think that rules are written for other people."

On the other hand and at least as concerning; the majority are themselves 'blind cattle' and ever-ready to obey, regardless? Hitler's following might be an example of a government creating ‘new rules’, which the majority readily followed and ended up in the ditch by doing so? Airline Security and the new anti-constitutional powers recently granted to police are a definite step in that direction!

In Rattler’s case above, the 'kid' involved should be severely punished! But instead; ‘society’ will almost certainly focus its effort on punishing an 'old school' guy that's simply had enough of a situation in which another young punk has decided he has the ‘right’ to 'express' himself at the expense of others and in doing so, naively endanger their lives as well?

"There are lots of idiots out there who think that rules are written for other people."

On the other hand and at least as concerning; the majority are themselves 'blind cattle' and ever-ready to obey, regardless? Hitler's following might be an example of a government creating ‘new rules’, which the majority readily followed and ended up in the ditch by doing so? Airline Security and the new anti-constitutional powers recently granted to police are a definite step in that direction!

In Rattler’s case above, the 'kid' involved should be severely punished! But instead; ‘society’ will almost certainly focus its effort on punishing an 'old school' guy that's simply had enough of a situation in which another young punk has decided he has the ‘right’ to 'express' himself at the expense of others and in doing so, naively endanger their lives as well?

I agree with you on much of this.

There are almost as many stupid rules as there are stupid people, and I'm one of the first to point out both, but this gent clearly did not have the constitutional "right" to use his cellphone in this area so he disrespected the rule (whether or not there is a good reason for it, then disrespected the cop. He was not in the right place to be trying to stand up for his rights... in an airport, in a customs area, ignoring a cop trying to enforce a rule he is paid to enforce.

I agree with you on much of this.

There are almost as many stupid rules as there are stupid people, and I'm one of the first to point out both, but this gent clearly did not have the constitutional "right" to use his cellphone in this area so he disrespected the rule (whether or not there is a good reason for it, then disrespected the cop. He was not in the right place to be trying to stand up for his rights... in an airport, in a customs area, ignoring a cop trying to enforce a rule he is paid to enforce.

I've been mulling this scenario over for a while actually. When we're in these line-ups is a good time to ponder why do they have such a rule in the first place?

This is the classic, arbitrary rule that should be challenged. I would have put it away when he asked but I would have asked him why the rule was there in the first place?

I wouldn't talk on a cellphone in such a line but I would check e-mail or something similar. The TSA or CATSA or any other country's acronym for security has gotten used to having unlimited even illegal powers that would be immediately challenged everywhere except there. The "Don't touch my junk" video comes to mind. This is more about the mindlessness of the populace of today. It's no different than the not very nice CATSA lady I had in YYZ a few weeks ago that was telling everyone to "REMOVE YOUR SHOES!" I got up to her station and she, without making eye contact told me to and I refused, smiling of course. She looked a bit miffed but waved me through. If she had asked politely or with some semblance of professionalism I would have said that I prefer to leave them on because I know they are non-metallic. We do not have to remove our shoes but everyone here knows that.

All we can do is rail against the stupidity not follow like the sheep they would like.

A punch on the arm is really something to upset about. I didn't read the full article so I'm not sure if the parents were on the flight with him or not, but if they were then they should have taken care of the problem before Russel Miller did.

Archived