And Now For Something Completley Different....

manwest

Just picked up an Ipad on Friday, spend some time this past weekend getting to know it.

Does anyone here have any favourite apps they use, aviation, travel related or others?

:cool::cool::cool:

I am still figuring out travel apps for mine. Basically all I want is hotel apps in case I get bumped somewhere and ned to find a room quick. It sure beats lugging a lap top when travelling, battery life is awesome.

The only travel one I have so far is airports lite, it maps out the airport location in most cities, and you can check for hotels, cars, restaurants etc..

I also downloaded sirius radio, weather eye, starbucks and free translator. Still checking for more.

The battery live is super, I let it run for ten hours then recharged. Took almost 3 hours for the recharge but the battery strenth is super, better than the ipod touch. This is a great *toy* for those who travel, using wifi or 3g.

I really had no interest in the iPad but I was given one as a gift by the company shortly after it was released.

All I have really been using with it is Pandora and Netflix, I have been meaning to try the word processor but I haven't really had a chance,

As far as Travel apps go you might want to check out these.

Zagat- for reviews and ratings on places nearby.

ICurrencyPad- for currency exchange. ( I prefer it over XE Currency)

Kayak- search app for hotels, car rentals, flights.

Urbanspoon- for ratings and location of nearby restaurants.

Translator- type in sentences and choose the language you want to translate it to.

OpenTable- restaurant reservations.

Mapstogo- download maps of your destination. (good for wifi only iPad)

I have also loaded Air Canada's, Accorhotels, and Hilton and Hampton Inn's a free apps.

I haven't been away yet with my iPad but have used all these apps to help with my travel plans for my vacation next month.

I've been getting 10+ hours out of my battery consistently since I got it on launch day after the initial drain 100% and charge fully.

You also might want to check out these:

Beat the Traffic --free

Weather HD -- 99cents

Weatherbug --free

Tunein Radio -- 1.99

NPR, CNN, BBC News, Huffington Post -- all free

NFB (National Film Board) -- free

News Pro (Thomson Reuters news)-- free

Epicurious -- free

Skype -- works with the built in mic for cheap voip calls -- free

Google Earth -- free

IMDb -- movie reviews and trailers -- free

Solar Walk and Star Walk are two paid apps well worth it for "cool" factor.

As an FYI you can now use Itunes gift cards to purchase apps as well as movies and music. (up until last month you could only buy movies and music with them in Canada)

Enjoy your iPad. Make sure you get a good case for it.

Do you have the 3g or wifi only?

I did Wifi only. I figured a hot spot is usually pretty easy to find and did not have to want to pay for a data plan.

It will be nice when the Ibooks application is up and running with decent content. I have been using the Kobo app to buy books.

The IBooks store went live last week, but the first 3 books I searched for weren't available. Hopefully, as you say they get decent content. I've been more successful with Kobo as well.

As far as Travel apps go you might want to check out these.

Zagat- for reviews and ratings on places nearby.

ICurrencyPad- for currency exchange. ( I prefer it over XE Currency)

Kayak- search app for hotels, car rentals, flights.

Urbanspoon- for ratings and location of nearby restaurants.

Translator- type in sentences and choose the language you want to translate it to.

OpenTable- restaurant reservations.

Mapstogo- download maps of your destination. (good for wifi only iPad)

I have also loaded Air Canada's, Accorhotels, and Hilton and Hampton Inn's a free apps.

I haven't been away yet with my iPad but have used all these apps to help with my travel plans for my vacation next month.

I've been getting 10+ hours out of my battery consistently since I got it on launch day after the initial drain 100% and charge fully.

You also might want to check out these:

Beat the Traffic --free

Weather HD -- 99cents

Weatherbug --free

Tunein Radio -- 1.99

NPR, CNN, BBC News, Huffington Post -- all free

NFB (National Film Board) -- free

News Pro (Thomson Reuters news)-- free

Epicurious -- free

Skype -- works with the built in mic for cheap voip calls -- free

Google Earth -- free

IMDb -- movie reviews and trailers -- free

Solar Walk and Star Walk are two paid apps well worth it for "cool" factor.

As an FYI you can now use Itunes gift cards to purchase apps as well as movies and music. (up until last month you could only buy movies and music with them in Canada)

Enjoy your iPad. Make sure you get a good case for it.

Do you have the 3g or wifi only?

Thanks for your info.

I did the wifi and 3g 32gb, signed up with Bell for the $15.00 month data plan.

for travel find an app called WorldMate live. The free version does alot but for a monthly fee you can get some extras. I use it for meeting scheduling and travel planning and love it.

give it a look.

for travel find an app called WorldMate live. The free version does alot but for a monthly fee you can get some extras. I use it for meeting scheduling and travel planning and love it.

give it a look.

For information try Business Insider another good one is Yelp maybe someone said that. Try Wolframalpha if you want to be the smart kid on the block. HotelPal is good for bookings. And of course FoxNews...

Just out of curiosity, can you piggyback the 3G data plan on an existing plan? I.E. if you already have a smartphone with a 500MB data plan, can you access your unused MB on the iPad without having to buy an additional plan? Yeah, yeah... I'm a cheap pilot who doesn't own any BCE shares!

With respect to iBooks (and e-books in general), does anyone offer a way to purchase a paper copy of a book and get an e-copy included? (I have seen some CDs that can be purchased that way.) I like the convenience of e-books but would still like to have a paper copy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

When Rogers announced it's data plans on Apples site there was a brief period of time when the option to add the iPad to your current data plan was available. Within 24 hours it had been deleted from Apples website and the Rogers people were in full damage control saying it was an error and Apple should not have shown it on their website. There was a lot of initial excitement as this was an option many were looking for, but in typical Rogers fashion it is never about what the customers want. Bell was late with it's offers and just mirrored Rogers plans.

There is however a workaround in which you "jailbreak" your iPad (hack Apple's lock on accessing the bootrom) and then you can tether over bluetooth to certain smartphones. It works best with Iphones but there are instructions floating around the interent for using other phones such as Blackberries. I've looked over those instructions and it can get pretty involved. You can find more info here if you want to go that route. http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/

I've heard that the 3g iPads go through data plans much more quickly than smartphones so your 500mb may not go far.

Regarding the ibooks question, I've yet to see that option available anywhere. I too would like a hard copy to go along with the digital one.

I have an awesome 6Gb plan with rogers fro my Blackberry. It was made available for a brief time when the Iphone was introduced to appease blackberry users because the iphone plan was better. It costs me $25 a month for it whic is an awesome price and I will not give it up. I have never even broken the 1Gb mark yet in a month so plent of wiggle room there. I just wish I could piggy back the ipad in that plan.

I have an awesome 6Gb plan with rogers fro my Blackberry. It was made available for a brief time when the Iphone was introduced to appease blackberry users because the iphone plan was better. It costs me $25 a month for it whic is an awesome price and I will not give it up. I have never even broken the 1Gb mark yet in a month so plent of wiggle room there. I just wish I could piggy back the ipad in that plan.

If I understand it correctly you can do it. You will need to Jailbreak your iPad, this installs a program called Cydia. It is easier if you have an iPhone but can be done with Blackberries. Check this out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=923503&highlight=blackberry

Archived