Bring it back

Pete - I simply stated "jurisdictions" and Kip answered the question.

South of me in Kingston three people from Afganistan have just been charged with the first degree murder of three girls and a woman. It was said to be an "honor killing". If found guilty, it will be interesting to see what their sentence will be. While it will not be the death penalty, a true life sentence with no parole would be appropriate.

We all have our own concept of justice and I hope the courts deal severely with those responsible for the crime mentioned above.

Pete - I simply stated "jurisdictions" and Kip answered the question. 

Timothy,

Intentional or not your comment was disingenuous. Count by whichever form of "jurisdiction" you like and you will find that on proportion there are few jurisdictions that sanction the death penalty, not many. Most that do subscribe to systems of justice that in Canada would be considered barbaric. And, I'm sure you're aware that in those "many" juridictions lying with our neighbor to the south there is still a great and ongoing debate regarding whether the death penalty is morally or constitutionally legitimate. None of it adds up to a justification by comparison to those with similar values for the use of the death penalty in Canada.

Pete

The Death Penalty

Pete,

You are against it, I am for it.

You can't convince me otherwise, and I can't convince you, so best we just weigh anchor on the subject and move along on the river of life.

No point in trotting out all kinds of stats supporting either side. One parting comment concerning the fact that there is "no death penalty" in Canada

"If I were King---- those that receive a sentence of Life In Prison in Canada would be there until they draw their last breath."

Enjoy each flight, it's one closer to your last wink.gif

best regards,

Kip

"If I were King---- those that receive a sentence of Life In Prison in Canada would be there until they draw their last breath."

Same sentence either way...

One costs $0.50 for a needle and some drugs.

The other costs taxpayers $75,000 per annum.

Iceman

If we are going to put someone away for life, and by life I mean LIFE, no parole. Why not just put them out of their (and the taxpayers) misery. Why wait 30 years for their last breat when we could have it tomorrow.

The Death Penalty

Pete,

You are against it, I am for it.

You can't convince me otherwise, and I can't convince you, so best we just weigh anchor on the subject and move along on the river of life.

No point in trotting out all kinds of stats supporting either side. One parting comment concerning the fact that there is "no death penalty" in Canada

Enjoy each flight, it's one closer to your last wink.gif

best regards,

Kip

Hi Kip,

Yes, we are on opposite sides of the fence on this one. And I see as little value in debating the issue with you as you do with me. That's OK too, it's a free country, we don't have to agree.

Still, in starting a topic with the title "Bring It Back" and the line "The Death Penalty............for the creep that murdered 8 year old "Tori", Victoria Stafford." you had to expect that those with contrary opinions were going to state them.

In any event, my point was not to debate the merits of the death penalty, but just to point out that Timothy's statement of "many" jurisdictions is misleading and really not accurate. There are only "many" jurisdictions where the death penalty is legal when one chooses to ignore the "many more" where it is not.

Cheers,

Pete

PS - Interesting how, as we age, we learn to focus more on enjoying each flight and each moment for what it offers. Maybe it's that sense of mortality catching up on me but I'm doing my best to match that "Wheels screeching, yeehaw!" tag line you used to have.

Same sentence either way...

One costs $0.50 for a needle and some drugs.

The other costs taxpayers $75,000 per annum.

Iceman

If we are going to put someone away for life, and by life I mean LIFE, no parole.  Why not just put them out of their (and the taxpayers) misery.  Why wait 30 years for their last breat when we could have it tomorrow.

Actually, it turns out that, in the U.S. at least, this isn't the case. A recent study concluded that given the judicial processes required to attempt (it has not always worked) to give death penalty convicts due process the cost to the taxpayer for each has exceeded the costs that would have been borne if they were incarcerated for the remainder of their lives. I don't have the study at hand but I'm sure it could be found without too much digging.

Personally, I have no objection to calls for changes in the terms under which parole may be granted, though for most of our most heinious criminals it's a moot point. The likes of Olson, Bernardo and such will already be in prison till they die.

Pete

I guess I am repeating myself but here are eight guys that a jury was convinced beyond reasonable doubt, (if they and the courts did their job properly), "did it", and yet they were ultimately found innocent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/wrongfullyconvicted/

Now imagine you were one of them, on your way, between a couple of guards, (who probably were having to hold you up to get you there), to a meeting with a noose, (insert your method of choice here), and you KNEW that you did not commit the crime. Would you or your family be ready to accept that the occasional error was OK in the greater scheme of things?

The likes of Olson, Bernardo and such will already be in prison till they die.

Not a "Yeah, but..." (cuz I agree with Pete on this one, especially having spent time in some of the "free democracies" he mentions above),

but there are a lot of "homolkas" walking free. Either those who bucked the system or those who have yet to be caught. Then there are those who would have been executed who shouldn't have. The most famous Canadian examples had "irrefutable" evidence convicting them, the worst evidence having been "eye witness" from less than credible sources.

I think many of the police forces across the country have evolved into quite honourable and efficient organizations, we still have a way to go with the Federal Force. I still maintain much of what is wrong with our justice system could be fixed with more cops. A LOT more cops - in every jurisdiction.

Last point -

While Olson is Canada's Manson, given the history of the National Parole Board, he'll be free one day. So to Bernardo. And Thatcher. Oh, wait...Thatcher's already out. dry.gif

Good morning Pete.

When I stated that the death penalty was still an option in many jurisdictions I had the United States in mind. 37 states would qualify as "many". There was no attempt to be misleading and I stand by my statement.

That said, it's time to move on. We likely have more in common than we realize.

All the best.

Timothy

3 part series the Saskatoon Star Phoenix have been running this week. It's about how a legal team from Saskatchewan helped prevent the death penalty for a deserving Saskatchewan man.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/killing...3564/story.html

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Escapin...7605/story.html

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Sask+couple+...1009/story.html

Archived