Air India investigation - Question

There has been a lot made of the fact that the police officer and his “sniffer” dog got to Mirabel only to see that Air India had left and later, as we all know went down in the Atlantic.

One facet of the investigation which has not been heard on TV and I have not seen in print is ……………..who released the aircraft prior to the cop and dog getting to Mirabel?

The reason I ask is that this happened a couple of decades ago and I am sure we all can remember that “security etc” was not a big issue so I was wondering if the flight crew said ,” forgetta bout it…we’re going flying”, feeling that they had to stick to their schedule or perhaps it was Air India’s rep in Flight Ops who released the aircraft.

It makes me wonder if the crew was even aware that a dog was on the way. Surely, even in those days, if someone had indicated to the pilots that an explosive device “may” be on board they would be extremely reluctant to release the brakes.

Has anyone heard/read/seen who made the decision to release the aircraft and more importantly, was the flight crew in the loop??

Thanks

Guest rattler

The other thing that is bugging me, the press is of course concentrating on the Air Indian flight but completely ignoring the bomb that was carried from YVR-NRT for transfer to Air India and blew up in the bag room killing CP staff.

Those crying racism, as why the incident was not prevented are completely ignoring what happend in Tokyo.

Rather than Racism, I believe it was just a huge "cockup" and we can only hope that a lesson was learned in what needs to be done to protect aircraft and their passengers.

Media.....the deaths in Narita were not as spectacular as a 747 being blown out of the sky.................sad but true.

Media......Look at what happened today in Cancun.....another Canadian..... brain dead and as of this time the reason for his injuries is not known and yet the CBC reporter on the afternoon news tried every conceivable angle, and questions, to get the NOK to blame the Mexican police........gimme a break...the investigation has just started and the NOK are more shook up about what is going to happen to the young man when he gets home rather than casting blame or finding out the cause less than 24 hours after the incident...media!!!

Guest rattler

Yes and then there is the reaction from the Opposition.

But the Canadian government came under fire Wednesday from Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh, the Opposition foreign affairs critic.

“I think government needs to take a stronger action to protect Canadians,” Mr. Dosanjh said in an interview with CTV's Canada AM. “We have an accumulation of a number of cases.”

How the hell can Canada do anything to protect their citizens who travel to another country short of taking that country over ????? What does Mr Dosanjh expect the government to do, post a RCMP member in every bar and resort to protect Canadians???????

Any needless death is sad but then let's consider the number of Canadians killed every weekend in Canada by Canadians compared to the very small number who are killed in tourist resorts outside of Canada. Where is the cry from the opposition that something must be done to protect Canadians in Canada? Seems to me those screaming the loudest now are the very same folks who voted down some recent bills that were aimed at making the law tougher against criminals here in Canada.

The Air India flight to LHR was a couple of hours late leaving Canada. The flight to NRT was on time.

I have always believed that both bombs were meant to explode while the aircraft was on the ground at its respective stops.

Guest rattler

You could indeed be correct in that the flight to LHR was 1hr 45 late (due to a 5th pod) and would have arrived, if on time, 30 mins prior to the bomb going off.

The Air India flight to LHR was a couple of hours late leaving Canada.  The flight to NRT was on time.

I have always believed that both bombs were meant to explode while the aircraft was on the ground at its respective stops.

At 2037 GMT, Empress of Australia, flying CP Flight 3, departed Vancouver without L. Singh on board.

At 0541 GMT (now June 23), Empress of Australia (CP Air 3) arrived in Tokyo 14 minutes early.

At 0619 GMT, a piece of luggage that had come from CP Air 3 exploded as it was being transferred to Air India Flight 301; the explosion killed two baggage handlers (Hideo Asano and Hideharu Koda) in Narita and injured four other people.

At 0805 GMT, Air India Flight 301 left Narita and arrived in Thailand unscathed.

At 07:15 GMT, Air India Flight 182, which had departed Mirabel bound for London, disappeared. Air traffic controllers at the Shanwick Oceanic Control Center near Shannon International Airport, in Shannon, Ireland heard a crackling sound on the radio before the plane vanished. The plane was due to arrive at 08:15 GMT.

I expected a massive indictment of Air India management on here given the recent news about why the flight was pushed out, foregoing the dog check. Wouldn't happen here post 9/11?

I expected a massive indictment of Air India management on here given the recent news about why the flight was pushed out, foregoing the dog check. Wouldn't happen here post 9/11?

It was a different time and different circumstances.

Positive bag match was not required for any flights as I can remember although it was brought in the very next morning along with a short-term program of baggage X-ray at the check-in point.

Like Sept 11th, this type of terrorism was new and not considered a plausible threat.

Guest rattler

The unexpected will always jump up and bite us. Remember the hijackings of the 70s and 80s and how long the airline community & governments took to react and change their procedures.

Bombing of aircraft by placing devices in the luggage was not new, even at the time of Air India. For example:

September 9, 1949: A DC-3 exploded in mid-flight enroute from Quebec City to Baie-Comeau as the result of an onboard bomb, killing all 23 on board. See Albert Guay affair.

July 8, 1965: (CP21) Douglas DC-6B crashed near Dog Creek, British Columbia when a bomb blew its tail section away. All 52 passengers/crew were killed.

Archived