Water as fuel?

HHO, HHO, HHO, HHO, HHO....

laugh.gif Good Don... for another laugh - of a different variety, have a look at your PM's here... (there's a way to track to see if a person's picked up their PM's but I didn't use it, so I don't know)

Thanks for that link Seeker... interesting.... and too bad... rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

M

Maybe we shouldn't give up on it yet. There is a story about it on CNN now. This link just gets you to CNN and click on the story Machine turns water into gas, fuels car

It would be great if it works. I hope it works on tap water as bottled water is more expensive than gas. dry.gif

Greg:

It's simply a machine to capture both the hydrogen and oxygen produced by electrolysis. The energy cost to do this is greater than the energy provided by burning the resultant gas.

Hi Seeker

The claim in this case is not that the idea is new but that they can can do it cheaply enough to make it cost effective.

It is still on CNN web site, http://www.cnn.com/ but I don't know how much longer it will be there.

Greg

Yes, I'm aware of the claim. Here are a couple of references:

wikipedia:

"The energy efficiency of water electrolysis varies widely. Some report 50–70%[1], while others report 80–94%.[2] These values only refer to the efficiency of converting electrical energy into hydrogen's chemical energy. The energy lost in generating the electricity is not included. For instance, when considering a power plant that converts the heat of nuclear reactions into hydrogen via electrolysis, the total efficiency is more like 25–40%.[3]"

Also be sure to read the link "debunked" that I posted earlier in this thread. Electrolysis has been known for well over a hundred years so I think it's highly unlikely that some backyard inventor has stumbled across a process to make it produce more chemical energy than it consumes in electrical energy.

The welding unit is another matter however as it appears to be able to produce a small and easily controlled flame which may suit some applications. Even though it is not very efficient this benefit may be worth the cost.

I watched the story on the news and he stated this was a NEW way of carrying out electrolysis. I have my doubts but it would be cool. Until the oil companies have it killed.

B

Archived