Flying AC ? Pack a lunch

Kip Powick

No hot meals, please. We're Air Canada passengers.

The country's largest airline has scrapped complimentary meals on its long-haul flights within Canada and the continental United States, leaving consumer advocates feeling rather empty.

Instead of free breakfast, lunch and dinner service, Air Canada is charging a loonie to $5 for a selection of snacks and cold sandwiches starting this week.

"The lack of hot meals over a trip from Ottawa to Vancouver is distressing, to say the least," said Harry Gow, co-founder of lobby group Transport 2000.

"As a passenger, I'm saddened. Paying for cold food on a long trip is inadequate. It doesn't cut the mustard."

Air Canada had eliminated hot meals on many of its short-haul North American routes as it struggled financially in 2003.

But its user-pay Onboard Café program has been expanded to include all economy-class seats (sometimes called hospitality class) on flights lasting more than 90 minutes in Canada and the continental United States.

The airline says its "buy on board" program boasts a "popular, innovative menu of reasonably priced items featuring brand, quality and choice."

Air Canada's website yesterday encouraged customers to "grab a snack from our all-day pantry."

The selection includes $1 for pretzels or breath mints, $2 for tuna salad or potato chips and $5 for a grilled chicken fajita sub or vegetarian pita wrap.

The website added that it's "cash sales only and taxes included in all prices."

Air Canada played down the change, pointing out that numerous U.S. airlines have jettisoned their free hot meals in favour of user-pay offerings of cold snacks.

"It's consistent with an industry trend to move toward giving customers the option of purchasing a meal when one is not provided," Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said.

Executive-class passengers will continue to receive complimentary hot meals on many long-haul flights within North America, and travellers to Hawaii, Mexico and overseas will be able to dig into hot meals as they did before.

As well, Air Canada passengers who pay higher fares will be exempt from coughing up their spare change for a cold sandwich.

Michael Janigan, executive director of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre in Ottawa, slammed the reduction in food service.

"There's no end to the ingenuity of Air Canada to think up things to charge for," Mr. Janigan said, complaining that the airline began asking this week for a toonie for a "comfort zone" kit consisting of an inflatable plastic pillow and polyester blanket.

A spokeswoman for WestJet Airlines Ltd. said the discount carrier never offered hot meals in the first place because it's aiming for the lower-fare market.

Consumer groups add that pet owners howled with outrage recently when Air Canada raised rates to transport animals within Canada to $105 for a one-way ticket from $40.

Industry analysts say that Air Canada, which emerged from bankruptcy protection 13 months ago, operates in a fiercely competitive industry and needs to shave costs wherever possible.

Air Canada's parent company, ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., announced yesterday that it reaped an impressive $270-million profit in its third quarter, a vast improvement from its $81-million loss in the same period in 2004.

Comments in the Globe re above posting

JP W from London, United Kingdom writes:

Future Air Canada Innovation:

5$ per use of Lavatory.

5$ life vest rental.

5$ comfort zone barf bag.

5$ to enable seat to recline.

5$ In flight oxygen sur charge.

It doesn't take a genius to come up with more!

Jacques deBellefeuille from Maberly, Canada writes:

I am astounded - NO, I am aghast - at this policy change by the so-called premier carrier of the Canadian skies.Not only is this carrier (Air Canada) one of the most expensive on the Canadian market,it enjoys a near monoply market.

If we are going to be like the American airlines, then lets open up our skies to full competition with them and then we will see how Air Canada really competes on the free market.Watch how their bottom line fails to soar after that.

Lori Hogan from St. John's, Canada writes:

Air travel, once upon a time, was a luxury for many.Those days

are definitely long gone.I used to laugh at those who would

"pack a lunch" for longer flights with West Jet... now I guess I'll

have to start doing the same to travel with Air Canada.And a

blanket too - I've experienced the mentioned "personal comfort"

pillow/blanket pack, and if you are taking an vernight flight, it just

doesn't cut it.

Jacqueline Bennett from Caledon, Canada writes:

I haven't flown in years, but am disappointed to read about being charged now for "meals" and the supposed "competitive" pricing. And $2 for a plastic pillow and flimsy blanket? Wow. What's next? Pay toilets?

Arthur Grynspan from Montreal, Canada writes:

One would believe that ingeniuty, leading rather following, uniqueness, etc. would be at the forefront of any competitive Canadian business strategy. Instead Air Canada seems to be content lose anything remaining of its Canadian identity and vanish into the indistinguishable mix of the plain and ordinary. Rather than setting the pace, Air Canada is simply lock-stepping with the masses.What are the ads going to say now; Fly us - we sell better sandwiches?

Larry Gemmel from Val-des-Monts, Canada writes:

I flew out to Vancouver from Ottawa on November 1st and so was able to experience the new approach first hand.Frankly, I didn't mind paying for the snacks, but the quality and selection was really poor, and this wasn't very satisfactory on a five hour flight over the dinner hour.Make no mistake about it - these are "snacks" of the kind my 10 year old daughter likes, and are definitely not to be confused with "meals".

PS.. Hey, but you still get a free headset that you get to keep!Just kidding - I would rather see a charge for something truly optional, like the headsets, that you could pass on or bring your own from a previous trip.

Whast some of you fail to realize is that a certain amount of complaints and/or lost business is assumed. The point is that the sum of the cost-savings is meant to exceed the sum of lost business, if any. The cost savings are achieved not only by charging for food, but in the reduction in food, handling, logistics and spoilage cost. If you don't serve free hot meals, you cut down on having to offer 20 special meal menus within North America. The logistics of getting a kosher or vegetarian snack on a three-hour flight are considerable. I've heard budget numbers for what some of these changes involve, and AC will have to lose an awful lot of customers before it might have to reverse any of these decisions.

The same is true about lowering free baggage allowances and raising overweight charges, cutting down on pet carriage. It's not just the fees charged, but the benefits of standardizing rules, speeding up aircraft turnarounds, etc. (Moeman or other FAs will have to tell us whether it is more time-consuming to go around and collect money from those who are buying food or to serve everyone a hot meal.)

As for the specific comments in the Globeonline, well, complaining that free hot meals were part of a Canadian travel experience is a bit disingenious. Maybe these people should have made fewer jokes about airline food, in which case they might still have it. The eating experience on board seemed to matter so little to people - to hear them complain about it - that it hardly should matter that it's gone.

And free blankets and pillows are still available on international flights, where it matters.

Aw shucks, we canadians just love to complain.

...but as I said Dagger, the policy may be sound but the timing isn't! wink.gif

When would the timing be good. After AC loses a pail of money? When crude is $100 a barrel. If the policy is right, you go for it. If you have thought out the consequences, you go for it. People will complain anyway.

When would the timing be good. After AC loses a pail of money? When crude is $100 a barrel. If the policy is right, you go for it. If you have thought out the consequences, you go for it. People will complain anyway.

The timing is not good a day after announcing a $270 million net profit. This policy was not invented overnight and any good PR person would see that had it been announced a week or two earlier or later, the fall-out from the media and passengers would have been reduced. Why can’t AC see this? Do you think banks raise service charges in conjunction with reports of large profits? I don't think its rocket science but Management at AC just doesn't get it.rolleyes.gif

The timing is not good a day after announcing a $270 million net profit.  This policy was not invented overnight and any good PR person would see that had it been announced a week or two earlier or later, the fall-out from the media and passengers would have been reduced.  Why can’t AC see this?  Do you think banks raise service charges in conjunction with reports of large profits?  I don't think its rocket science but Management at AC just doesn't get it.rolleyes.gif

Many of these changes have been announced already. The fact the Globe decided to do an article on it today is the newspaper's decision. But all of this was announced previously. As for the banks and service charges, has it done their image any better by not announcing fees at all. That's right, the banks didn't bother to put out statements when they raised fees.

Quote Dagger

" Maybe these people should have made fewer jokes about airline food, in which case they might still have it. "

WOW so are you saying the paxs are being punished for complaining about the quality of food.

Maybe a proactive and positive spin would have been to announce new quality meals and snacks for a a reasonable price.

I have no problem with AC or any airline charging for food but if your going to charge for it it better be healthy and good quality.

AC damned if they do damned if they don't. Last time I checked WJ doesn't serve free meal - no PR problem there though.

People expect nothing on WJ and everything on AC. For the same price please!

Well that's a good excuse for side-stepping smart corporate strategy...it just doesn't matter what we do! The ship won't drive itself to calmer waters people and if you’re happy with sea-state 3 then so be it. ohmy.gif

We got some negative feedback on board when free meals were replaced by the buy-on-board program on short haul routes, but customers are entirely used to it now. When the program was expanded to medium haul, the negative feedback was considerable at first, but it too tapered off fairly quickly. I'm sure that the expansion to long haul N American routes will be similar. CO is, to the best of my knowledge, the only N American carrier that still serves free food on most of its flights. AS provides meals, but only on sectors of over 5 hours or so. Another thing that most journalists fail to point out is that AC--unlike most of its competitors--does still provide food to economy passengers who are travelling on certain fares.

Guest rattler

Quote Dagger

" Maybe these people should have made fewer jokes about airline food, in which case they might still have it. "

WOW  so are you saying the paxs are being punished for complaining about the quality of food.

Maybe a proactive and positive spin would have been to announce new  quality meals and snacks for a a reasonable price.

I have no problem with AC or any airline charging for food but if your going to charge for it it better be healthy and good quality.

Not to defend AC but I think they did as you suggest or is this an old notice. The reason I ask is that it shows Latitude and Latitude Plus fare customers as still receiving free food. Is this now gone or has the Globe&Mail overlooked this item??

Onboard Cafe In North America

Subway sandwiches now available on selected flights

On flights from Montreal, we have recently teamed up with Subway Restaurants to offer you a selection of Subway’s most popular submarine sandwiches including a choice between a Turkey Sandwich with Swiss cheese and a Roast Beef Sandwich dressed with vegetables. Check out these new items aboard!

Our new Onboard café offers choice, value and greater flexibility. You decide what meal-type to purchase onboard. We are pleased to offer our Hospitality Service customers with a popular new innovative menu of reasonably priced items.

Enjoy a tasty sandwich, hot pizza or simply indulge on a popular snack, the choice is all yours. This new service is now offered on all Continental North American flight of 1h30 or longer (Hawaiian and Mexican destinations excluded).

As an added benefit to our Latitude and Latitude Plus fare customers, we are pleased to offer a complimentary snack selection on our short haul flights between 1½ and 2 hours, and a complimentary sandwich and snack selection on our flights of more than 2 hours, upon presentation of your boarding pass. To obtain your complimentary offering please present your boarding pass during the meal service to the flight attendants on your flight.

Special Meals are not offered on flights where the Onboard Café service is offered. Every effort has been made to present a variety of choices catering to different tastes and requirements. A wide selection of Kosher certified products are available.

Check out our latest menu or find it in your copy of enRoute magazine onboard. Bon appetite!

Quote Dagger

WOW so are you saying the paxs are being punished for complaining about the quality of food.

Maybe a proactive and positive spin would have been to announce new quality meals and snacks for a a reasonable price.

Punished? No. But having heard customers spend decades devaluing free meals, it's probably understandable that most airline executives feel as if the food was almost an imposition.

Guest rattler

What we are seeing in the industry is the ripple effect of "low cost / low fare" carriers. As overall fares decrease, the overall level of service does for all airlines. The "gravy" tongue.gif days of hot meals with choices in even economy are gone forever.

Sad but the overall result is that "joe average" is enjoying air fares that are much lower than anytime in aviation's history (when you talk 2005 dollars).

Whast some of you fail to realize is that a certain amount of complaints and/or lost business is assumed. The point is that the sum of the cost-savings is meant to exceed the sum of lost business, if any. The cost savings are achieved not only by charging for food, but in the reduction in food, handling, logistics and spoilage cost. If you don't serve free hot meals, you cut down on having to offer 20 special meal menus within North America. The logistics of getting a kosher or vegetarian snack on a three-hour flight are considerable. I've heard budget numbers for what some of these changes involve, and AC will have to lose an awful lot of customers before it might have to reverse any of these decisions.

The same is true about lowering free baggage allowances and raising overweight charges, cutting down on pet carriage. It's not just the fees charged, but the benefits of standardizing rules, speeding up aircraft turnarounds, etc. (Moeman or other FAs will have to tell us whether it is more time-consuming to go around and collect money from those who are buying food or to serve everyone a hot meal.)

As for the specific comments in the Globeonline, well, complaining that free hot meals were part of a Canadian travel experience is a bit disingenious. Maybe these people should have made fewer jokes about airline food, in which case they might still have it. The eating experience on board seemed to matter so little to people - to hear them complain about it - that it hardly should matter that it's gone.

And free blankets and pillows are still available on international flights, where it matters.

Aw shucks, we canadians just love to complain.

I'm shocked to read such a pathetic answer from you. A certain amount of lost business is assumed. What kind of initiative is that!? When the industry is in a process of fragmentation (you know, the one where growth of one airline comes at the expense of another) you don't say 'we'll save $100 million but we'll lose $25 million' worth of business. That's $25 million in business you just gave to your competitor.

I don't blame Air Canada for ditching its free meals but that's one thing Air Canada had going for it on long-haul domestic/transborder routes. ChicoChico said: People expect nothing on WJ and everything on AC. For the same price please! . Air Canada is doing what it has to in order to lower its costs. Unfortunately the public perception of Air Canada's reductions are compared the the additions (at a cost) over at Westjet. Air Canada can't win this PR contest.

'we'll save $100 million but we'll lose $25 million' worth of business. That's $25 million in business you just gave to your competitor.

Air Canada is doing what it has to in order to lower its costs. Unfortunately the public perception of Air Canada's reductions are compared the the additions (at a cost) over at Westjet. Air Canada can't win this PR contest.

In one short profitable quarter AC has again become the big spenders if throwing away $25 million in business sounds reasonable to you. I sometimes wonder what the boardroom environment is like in AC. Do you throw ideas around or does the boss simply get excited affirmatives from a bunch of sheep?

As for lowering costs, you are correct. They operate in the low-cost environment and people should get what they pay for...that is very little. The key is not to let them know that. For example, rather then announce the cutting of free meals why don't they announce the expansion of the Onboard Cafe? It doesn't matter if it's old news, re-spin it and re-release it. That is what politicians do and so should big business. Yes, simple stuff and if your $25 million loss in business just reduced to $20 million then for $5 million, isn't it worth it? wink.gif

I find it interesting that the media says nothing about discount airlines not serving food but the moment it's AC, they're up in arms. PEI's hissy fit is just another fine example of the this mentality of passenger entitlement when AC is involved.

Since our Liberal government has insisted on showing us the path to entitlement and corruption I'm not surprised it has spread everywhere including passengers. angry[1].gif

I find it interesting that the media says nothing about discount airlines not serving food but the moment it's AC, they're up in arms. PEI's hissy fit is just another fine example of the this mentality of passenger entitlement when AC is involved.

Since our Liberal government has insisted on showing us the path to entitlement and corruption I'm not surprised it has spread everywhere including passengers. angry[1].gif

I don't. I think the media is very predictable and AC should use that to their advantage. smile.gif

I think the media is very predictable and AC should use that to their advantage. smile.gif

Yes you're right, but in my mind AC has been rather ineffective at it. Meanwhile the unjustified AC bashing continues..... angry[1].gif

The absolute base level is that an economy airline ticket is probably the most ubiquitous product on the planet. Be it on a low-cost airline or a full service airline. Your getting the same product. As long as the so-called full service airlines are matching the LCC’s dollar for dollar, it isn’t a big deal. But trying to sell themselves as a premium service, when their inflight product is equal to or even inferior to the LCC product is can dilute the brand.

I have not found the food on Air Canada to be that bad, I am infact quite fond of their pasta and asparagus salad. But on other airlines, particularly Alaska Airlines their food is beyond inedible. My last breakfast, pancakes and eggs were literally frozen solid. And the mustard and mayonnaise sandwich on the return flight was equally as appetizing.

I heard that Air Canada was going to begin selling Subway onboard?

Has anything come of that?

I got hooked on Subway in university because it was the only edible food on campus, infact the food services contractor also provided food to the local prison.

Archived