Looks scarey

Kip Powick

A Lufthansa 747-400 and a United 757-200 are on a simultaneous landing approach on the parallel runways 28L and 28R at SFO.

Real runway separation is only 225 meters.

Due to the telephoto distortion, the Jumbo 747 being 3 times larger than the 757 and being behind it, gives us this fantastic optical illusion seeming to fly so near together...ostensibly inches from each other!!!

A Lufthansa 747-400 and a United 757-200 are on a simultaneous landing approach on the parallel runways 28L and 28R at SFO.

Real runway separation is only 225 meters.

Due to the telephoto distortion, the Jumbo 747 being 3 times larger than the 757 and being behind it, gives us this fantastic optical illusion seeming to fly so near together...ostensibly inches from each other!!!

The quiet bridge visual...been there...done that only I was on the left. wink.gif

Are the two aircraft on seperate frequencies still (in SFO)??

I ask, because at the time of the 'Gens de l'air' debacle in Canada about use of two languages being unsafe, I always thought about SFO with this approach and two languages be damned, the two aircraft were not even on the same frequency.

I travelled on UA through SFO a while back, the pilot let us pax view Ch9 (Channel 9 allows the passengers to listen in on the pilot communication). On final I could make out who was ahead of our aircraft and who was behind and both airplanes were for the other runway.

Awsome use of Ch9, wish AC could have the same service. cool.gif

How about a simultanaeous take off from the 01s at SFO? Not sure how good an idea it was but other than formation flying back in the AirForce days it was the closest I have been to another aircraft in flight since then.

FYI both aircraft had diverging headings after T/O but I wonder how the yaw from an engine failure would have worked out.

Archived