WJ in the East

dagger

Live TV - others will have in-seat entertainment

When???

Buy on board food - AC already has it

So now there's less product differential, and WJ still has an edge in customer satisfaction

Web check-in - AC and Jetsgo already have it

See above.  Also, you were going on and on about how AC and JG had web check-in and kiosks and that WJ was losing out.  Now, you just blow it off like it was nothing in the 1st place?!  Also, when is the FIRST embraer going to show up??

You're getting very predictable Dagger, and so are your posts.  Not much "meat" in your baloney sandwich anymore either.

cool.gif

Not at all... I'd rather have video on demand, just like my Movie Channels, than Live TV on most flights. There are occasions when Live TV would be attractive. Simple as that. But you don't build a schedule around the times when there is breaking news on CNN.

You should give them a try some time. Got to fly the day of the Grey Cup. Most people on board were very surprised that they could watch a live game, not one that had been recorded. I am not saying that tv is the be all to end all, it is just much better than watching "history".

You should give them a try some time. Got to fly the day of the Grey Cup. Most people on board were very surprised that they could watch a live game, not one that had been recorded. I am not saying that tv is the be all to end all, it is just much better than watching "history".

On those types of occasions, undoubtedly, there is appeal having liveTV. I wouldn't want to have been watching CNN on the morning of Sept 11/01, but I digress. The question is, will it recover its costs in higher yields or volumes. That remains to be seen. I'm a believer that JetBlue's success isn't due to LiveTV but to being the low price leader in the largest metropolitan area of North America. And with JetBlue forecasting its first losing quarter for Q4, it doesn't save an airline much if other, more powerful forces, like hurricanes and $50 crude are going against it. In any case, enjoy. I see two different products. To each his own. In the end, I think both make travel a bit more tolerable, but neither is going to cement a great deal of loyalty. If WJ's suppliers had been certified on time, and the whole fleet had been ready for the summer of 04, it might have given WJ enough of a head start over competing products.

....that WJ has the rights to live tv for the next five years up here in Canada!

The WJ rights are only for the brand name Live TV. There are a few others offering a similar product and it is tv live (not the brand name).

As for 'blurring' the lines of the service WJ offers, I, for one, am glad that Westjet has the flexibility to be able to be a scheduled carrier AND a charter carrier at the same time. I've also been of the opinion all summer that we've had too much capacity in YOW. There was no need for it, and I'm glad the oversight has been corrected. Once again demand has played its part, and the adjustment will be made.

Once again demand has played its part, and the adjustment will be made.

Yeah, and if AC had cut the YOW or YUL schedules that much the politicians would be running to the media complaining about the need for reregulation of AC.

Not that I am complaining, just a little green (should it be teal) with envy at how WS can fly under Liberal/NDP radar.

AC is the carrier most likely to add YYZ-Asia routes. There are at least two in the queue for next summer.

Hey Dagger. I think you mentioned a possible YYZ-China route (subject to the negotiation of rights with the Chinese, I guess) a while back. In your opinion, would AC be more interested in YYZ-PEK or in YYZ-PDG if it had a choice?

Any info on whether the rumour of YYZ-ICN is accurate or whether there are any plans for a seasonal resumption of YYZ-KIX?

Thanks.

Hey Dagger. I think you mentioned a possible YYZ-China route (subject to the negotiation of rights with the Chinese, I guess) a while back. In your opinion, would AC be more interested in YYZ-PEK or in YYZ-PDG if it had a choice?

Any info on whether the rumour of YYZ-ICN is accurate or whether there are any plans for a seasonal resumption of YYZ-KIX?

Thanks.

China? No idea. The bilateral changes haven't been made yet

Korea? A very hot iron in the fire.

KIX? Can't say.

There are only so many aircraft, and so if China was a go, KIX wouldn't be considered, but if China doesn't materialize, who knows.

This advantage will be short lived if the TNew hammerhead is opened on time next year and they take down the first third of T2.

More of the same 'ole.....

Iceman

If Tnew Hammerhead opens on time I will eat my Cowboy hat!!

On a more serious note. Once Pier F opens, Tnew gains an additional domestic gates, so WS has a much better chance of transfering to Tnew. This would split the domestic and US ops however.

Also, I believe that Pier F can be built while T2 continues to function as is. The only issue is with opening up gates on one side. The reason for bulldozing the extra 4 gates is to allow Pier F to open entirely on day one.

I suspect the Liberals would be in for a surprise if they tried to tell Westjet how to do business. biggrin.gif

No its Westjet that is in for a surprise. Ask the Westjet senior executive about the shut down in 1996, or read the book Flightpath. That was a Liberal hack job if there ever was one. The only question is who ordered the hit. Clive blames AC in his the book. However CP had the political connections and was scared stiff Westjet would screw up their 1996 restructuring efforts which focused heavily on maintaining Western Canada while reducing losses east of Manitoba-Ontario border.

My money is the Shutdown started outside CP boardroom. A certain former AB premier called his Ottawa friends and asked for some non-monetary help with the impending late 1996 restructuring of CP.

what does that have to do with the price of bread? nice tangent.

Your original question related that the Liberals would be in for a surprise if they told Westjet how to operate the business. I strongly disagree with that view.

IMHO; if the liberals told Westjet to jump, Clive would be under good advise to respond how high. Its just the way our government is run under Liberals. If Clive said "STUFF IT", there would be retribution almost immediately.

Harris, Durett and early Milton didnot understand the government control in Canada and AC paid dearly for it many times. Lets hope Westjet does not have to learn the lesson the hard way aswell.

Archived