Ramp Agent questions

Guest Mrs Gopher

Guest Mrs Gopher

I was wondering if we have any ramp agents on board. If we do....I have a few questions. Can anyone tell me how a "widebody towbar" works. As well as I know that it would differ with the different airlines, but I was wondering what are the different procedures for wingwalking/marshaling for each airline?

Guest jetblast

I don't really understand your question about the widebody tow bar as most towbars work the same -- one end to the tug, the other to the NLG. Perhaps you are referring to the towbarless tractors?

As for marshalling there are just three things to remember:

1. Stay in visual contact at all times with the marshaller/tug operator.

2. Anticipate obstructions (either fixed or moving) and don't "think" it will clear -- be sure!

3. Don't stare at the pavement!!!

I was always amazed how many people would stare at the tarmac when the airplane is underway on pushback.

HTH

Guest Mrs Gopher

well the widebody towbar has a pump, not like the normal narrow body towbars. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me after pushback, how to unhook it, (turning the knob, pumping the lever, undoing a pin of some sort...ect) As for wing walking, Northwest Airlines has a different style of wingwalking then contential...I was just wondering what as a final marshaler for Northwest do you not give the "X" and wait for the "ok"?

My initial response is the same as Kip's. Mrs. Gopher may be a completely innocent individual looking for information, but someone who isn't can just as easily read the answers.

Sorry Mrs. Gopher, it's just the times we live in. I'm sure you'll understand. If you ever need to unhook a towbar, your employer will show you how. Otherwise, it's difficult to see how you could ever make legitimate use of the information.

The pump is strictly for the bar's wheels to be able to transport the bar.Once the wheels are in contact with the ground, the lock lever is raised and the bar should disconnect from the tow lug on the nose gear (some times you have to use a little persuasion).

I agree with the security concerns of the other posters - but I will fill you in on the marshalling and wing walking technique used at my airline.

Marshalling: 1/ Look disinterested and ignore the approaching aircraft. 2/ When the aircraft continues to creep towards the gate angrily cross your wands to stop the aircraft for no apparent reason. 3/ Look aimlessly around. 4/ Marshall the aircraft using rapid arm movements (as if another aircraft is about to take it's tail off). 5/ Signal the aircraft to make insignificant left/right turns. 6/ Look disinterested and disgusted at the same time. 7/ As the aircraft approaches the final parking position bring your wands up to signal a distance to go. 8/ Bring your wands together at a rate and separation which should denote a steady approach to the stop point - now change the rate of your arm movement which in no way relates to the speed of the aircraft. 9/ When your wands are within 4 inches of one another signal the pilot to continue to move forward by moving them rapidly fore and aft again. Lead him to believe that he has somehow slowed down way to early. 10/ When the pilot has to bring on power and moves about six inches forward (2 inches across the stop line) - suddenly, rapidly and with a flourish cross your wands to stop the aircraft. 11/ Throw your wands down and stomp away from the aircraft.

Wing walking: 1/ Walk beside the aircraft with no attempt to keep up. 2/ Look disinterested. 3/ Don't look towards the aircraft (your parole officer may be a passenger and you don't want to surprise him). 4/ If the aircraft wing strikes an object throw down your wands and run away.

Interesting slant on your reading there Nancy... I thought he was just making a comment on the lousy attitudes publicly displayed by some of the other employees. How'd you manage to see in that that he's grumbling about "everything else" associated with his job?

Dear Mrs. Gopher,

As you've learned by now there are a number of people in this industry who are somewhat reluctant to give any advice to strangers about how to appear familiar with anything only legitimate practitioners ought to be familiar with...

With that in mind, I'll limit my answer to avoid giving too much away.

Towbar: Works like a hand grenade, except it's too heavy to throw, so... Pull the pin and run.

Wing walking: NorthWest does indeed have a different style, instead of "giving the X and waiting for the OK", you either (a- open your coat to expose your concealed wands, now stuck inside the front of your pants, or (b- extend both your arms toward the cockpit with your middle fingers pointed inward toward each other and wait 'til someone comes out to pick you up.

ATC does not upset me. I think that there are a lot of good controllers out there. YYZ included. As for the ramp thing - I was just poking some fun - but I do apologize if I offended anyone - in particular the ramp guys that do a good job - there are a lot of good ramp guys out there too - YYZ included.

I had a good chuckle at your post. All employee groups have their humorous side; can't we poke fun at ourselves and each other without taking unnecessary offence?

Remember folks, it's humor: not mortal insult.

...and with that in mind, we come to the pilot sitting a waaay up yonder in the narrow hump on the top of the big white, with red and blue stripes, bird, ostensibly

following a man's direction...

a little right, directs the man... the big bird steadily advances straight ahead...

RIGHT! directs the man.. still the big whale comes straight as an arrow...

STOP!! sez the man... onward comes the beast..

Finaly the wands are thrown at the window in frustration and the large nose very suddenly dips... and waits 'til someone else stops laughing long enough to pick up the wands to continue directing the now compliant jumbo....

while the other man invents all manner of unprintable new names for pilots.

:D

Archived