WestJet bridge incident in YYC??

Guest 9M guy

Guest 9M guy

The dual bridge system was lowered onto the tail of an old 200 which will probably write it off. Apparently the marshaller brought to the line that was meant for the 700 so the A/C was too far forward and the DEW bridge system didnt have any protection with its lasers to prevent itself from lowering onto the tail of an A/C. The nose came up about 4 feet before they could stop it.

I got this across my desk and was wondering if anyone had any info about it... when it happened etc.

Cheers

This question has been asked on a number of forums... so far, the only information that I've seen is:

For Confidentiality reasons WJ'ers can't actually post anything about the incident.

What I can tell you is that the Aircraft in Question (Tail 735 - CGWJE I think the reg is right) was due to be retired in November of this year according to my friends in maintenance.

Silver lineing or what! I was sad to hear about but hoped it was 723, 731 or 735.

WestJet has made a mistake, lets learn from it and move on.

Silver lineing or what! I was sad to hear about it but did hope it was 723, 731 or 735.

I really hope the bridge is OK.

Well, WestJet has made a mistake. Lets learn from it and move on.

"Nooo! Lets pretend its Air Canada and bash them in the media over it for a few days! Isn't that how it works in Canadian aviation?"

Maybe the reason they get bashed is the way they respond to their own mistakes.

So lets pretend its Air Canada, here's the Spin.

"In an amazing strategic move by CEO Robert Milton and Senior Management, Air Canada today retired a 737 using a high tech fleet renewal intrument, Gate D40. The older A/C aircraft is to be replaced with a new 70 to 110 seat Regional Jet as part of the carriers restructuring plans. Air Canada Spokesperson BB Rabozo said, "we are especially thrilled at the innovative approach to fleet renewal taken by our ramp services personnel with the full backing of Air Canada's 35 Unions". CEO Milton was quick to add that, "The use of this gate exeeded all our expectations and is a major part of our plan. I commend the amazing resilience of our workforce who have had to deal with smoke from the BC fires, traffic on the Deerfoot and long lineups at Tim Hortons". The public can expect delays and poor service throughout the system until a zimboni cleans up the mess next week.

I believe it happened either two or three weeks ago on a Saturday. Tail 735. I heard the bridge was set for a 700 instead of a 200.

Guest M. McRae

Also underscores the importance of correct ground procedures re marshalling and setting up the arrival area correctly. ;)

A few years back, a Canadian operator's first A330 approached a gate at T1 YYZ, and was marshalled in far enough for the engine cowling to contact the safety barrier around the jetway. The marshaller correctly placed the nosewheel on the A330 line, problem was, that line was set up for an A330-300, not an A330-200!

Guest M. McRae

Good point, we then need to include site survey / markings before introducing a new aircraft type. Sort of points out that marshalling is more complicated than one would initially think. :)

Malcolm;

Another point too...if the Lead is in control of the stop light as opposed to having some form of automatic stop system, then s/he needs to give enough lead distance to stop the airplane. One can't wait until the aircraft's nosewheel is "on" the line because it will be overshot every time as the aircraft can't stop immediately. Usually about 2 to 3 feet lead-distance would be good I think. This is at gates where there's no stop bar, but a series of green/amber/red lights indicating position. VR's lights I believe work with pressure pads and the Lead monitors the parking but if the pads are u/s, the lead-distance needs to be accounted for, (I would think that the pressure-pads are similarly placed a few feet from the actual stop-line).

Don

Guest M. McRae

Don, you are of course correct. Never being in the pointyend but watched a number of aircraft in the old days sail by the stop point. Winter ops, in particular, could be exciting when it came time for the bird to come to a complete stop on the gate. (is that where the term "slip sliding away" came from? :)

Malcolm

Guest Orange Gloves

FYI Don

The International gates in YVR with “Traffic Lights” have the pressure pad system. Unfortunately they have NEVER worked. The lights have been manually controlled on every arrival since this was discovered… opening day of the ITB. Gates 71 and up, with guide lights, have an automated system that use lasers to “measure” the position of the aircraft. This laser system has proven itself reliable but it still requires human input. An operator selects the aircraft type and then mans the dead-man switch. Personally, if I can keep eye contact with the Captain all the way in to the stop line, the guide light will stay off and only hand signals will be used. That way, only one person is involved in guiding the arrival not two. Generally 767’s and smaller are parked using hand signals only. It may be a case of “Old Dog New Tricks” but I still prefer the light box with stop-bar system.

Mark

Guest Touchdown

Hello Orange....

I have tried to send the message through the proper channels, but to no avail, so I'll try here. Could you please pass on to your lead brethren who work the east beach in YYZ to not marshall and use the stop bars at the same time. Personally I like hand signals, but most times the stop bar is put out and the lead continues to marshall us in....Personally, I find it rather difficult to watch both. Then if we stop at the bar which is slightly before the lead's signal, they seem to get rather miffed.

Thanks if you can get the message passed

Cheers Touchdown

Hi Orange Gloves, thank you for the info! Good to know that about VR. I got caught the other day at another station and overshot the line by two feet simply because the light went out too late. You're comment about the light box is right on. I also much prefer the eye-contact method as well. The other, higher-tech ways don't work nearly as well as they promise.

Is Wes' still around?

Don

"Slip sliding away" reminds me of an incident that happened to a B-727 in Torbay. Icy ramp, strong winds, the crew detatched the tow bar and the aircraft smoothly weather vaned around into wind with the pointy end crew along for the ride with nothing they could do about it.

Guest M. McRae

Of course the engines were good for other things. I remember one winter in YWG when we had a brief thaw and the ramp area iced over. The tug was attempting to push a DC8-63 off the gate (full load of pax, cgo and fuel for SPL) to no avail...just could not get any traction. The Capt. told the tug to disconnect and threw the engines into full reverse and blew back from the gate. Inside the terminal the noise was deafening, what with rattling windows etc. Needless to say the MOT Airport Manager was not very happy when he heard about it the next day. The aircraft departed near sked and landed on sked at SPL. Of course all were lucky that the ramp was frozen over and that there was no FOD to get sucked into the engines. Ah... the good old days.....

Guest Orange Gloves

Wes, AKA Scooter, retired after 30+ years on April 30th. One of the finest gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Not one to ever sit still, he is now working full time roofing.

Guest Orange Gloves

There was a time when I might be able to help you out but those days are long gone. Gate C34 in YVR has a stop-bar but no guide light. I tried for almost 2 years to get that corrected… still no light.

The only good thing about banging your head against the wall is how good it feels when you stop.

Don’t take the “miffed” part to heart. By nature, we are a cantankerous (sp) lot. :-)

Archived