The Collenette Enigma

Guest Max Continuous

Guest Max Continuous

http://www.robtv.com/channels/hubs/pastprograms_highlights.html

3:15 PM ET Market Pulse with Michael Hainsworth

Daily News: Canadian Airline Industry, Shoppers Drug Mart, Manufaturing Sector

Michael Den Tandt, Columnist, The Globe and Mail

Duration:6m 57s

Could someone please attempt to explain how this man's mind works, assuming that there is one?

David Collenette is interested in trains and only trains.

Maybe someone should get him a 1903 desk calendar or something. Look no further than his interest in keeping that stupid Ontario to from nowhere to nowhere train running.

It would probably be more economical to charter the space shuttle back and forth for the half dozen people who actually ride it.

This is the best case so far of the results of a teflon suit. A string of failures that would shame most of us into a dark corner for life, yet no change in operations.

I can only hope that we get a change in government and/or senior leadership in time to save what is left of this industry.

I have to be honest and say I am glad they are putting money back into the rail system in this country. After all that's what opened up this land from coast to coast, it's part of our heritage. Lets be honest here, air travel has come down to a level on par with the TTC! If you haven't done so for a while give the train a shot you might just like what you experience! It's still a great way to travel if you have the time.

Protective headgear in place…let the flaming begin.

Guest kevenv

I often wish I had the time to take my son on a trip by train. I did so when I was younger and remember the jouney being as much fun as the destination.

I agree. It's often thought that Transport Canada = Aviation. However, TC is a multi-modal department and has to balance the needs and desires of air, road, rail and marine interests.

We're all involved with aviation on this forum so that's our main concern. However, the employees of the other modes of transportation in this country are just as concerned about their jobs and have just as much right to expect the attention and support of the government...

And I also love to travel by train when the opportunity presents itself. It's a great way to see the country.

Guest M. McRae

My own experiences with rail travel (coach) YVR-YWG during an airline strike in the 70s were less than enjoyable but I am sure things have improved. Following is an interesting news release on the subject:

Transport 2000 calls on the Air Transportation Association of Canada to work with all transportation modes

TORONTO, July 17 /CNW/ - "Transport 2000 Canada is today asking ATAC to

end its campaign against the federal government's passenger rail initiatives

and instead to work with all public transportation modes to build a better

public transportation system for the future," says David Jeanes, President of

Transport 2000 Canada.

In recent months the Air Transportation Association of Canada (ATAC) has

levelled harsh criticisms of the federal government's support for VIA Rail and

its plan to invest in a high-speed rail corridor between Toronto and Montreal.

ATAC claims the plan is an unfair intervention in the market place that

undermines the aviation industry.

At the same time ATAC has increased its demands for subsidies including:

- rent reductions payable to the federal government for local airport

authorities;

- air transport security costs;

- exemption from Kyoto standards; and

- support for Air Canada.

ATAC ignores the federal government's provision of terrorism insurance

coverage for the aviation industry and the government's initial investment in

Nav Canada. Over the last fifty years the aviation industry received about ten

times the amount of taxpayer investment in infrastructure the railway industry

received.

"If ATAC is worried about the skewing effect of subsides on the

transportation industry it should look in the mirror," Transport 2000 Founding

President Harry Gow says. "It might also want to take a look at the annual

multi-billion dollar subsidization of Canadian roads. The fact is all modes

are subsidized. Now is the right time to move the subsides around and shift a

little more into rail."

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/July2003/17/c3108.html

What security system is in place for train travel. Are passengers required to go through security? If not, why not? What type of security is there to ensure the rails are clear and safe? Are all the taxes that are added to air travel also added to train travel?

Just curious as to people's opinions.

These are points that I have brought up many times on the forum and with e-mails and letter to the Minister of Transport.

Not only rail travel, how about cruise and cargo ships? The vehicles that cross the border?

I'm sure they are all subject to increased security, but carry no where near the burden as the Airline traveller.

:(

The train can only go where the tracks do. A train hijacker may threaten as much as he wants, but he isn't going to get to Cuba or Libya!

That may be true, but the perpetrators of Sept. 11th had no desire to go anywhere but to meet Mohamed.

Taking out a train full of petrochemicals, could level Toronto, and decimate the surrounding population. One Ammonia spill and the Hazmat teams have their hands full, what could a planned effort do?

There's a pretty big switching yard just north of the city...

:s

Archived