Any Former Backpackers out there ?

Guest spoggers

Guest spoggers

Well, I have a my August layoff date coming up and I've got an idea. One problem is that I've never done this before.

I'm going to go to Australia for 2-3 months (or more), just me and a backpack. I've heard that Canadians can get work visas to "sling beers" or whatever, in order to get a few bucks. I've also heard that it's a lot harder to do in New Zealand.

If any of you out there have some tips or suggestions, I'd be grateful ! I.E. How do you get these visas ? How long does it take ? Or, if you think there are other places that are more receptive to this kind of trip, please let me know what you think. But, I do need place where I can earn a few bucks.

Or just pass on a good story that you had when doing this kind of trip. I think we could all use a break from ................. You know !!!

Thanks in advance !

Spoggers;

That's the most wonderful idea I've heard or read of in a long time.

My brother lived in Sydney for over 20 years, spent a bit of time in Dallas and is moving back (business: same thing we're going through...). While I have no stories and haven't done it, I know enough that you'll have the time of your life. Any Australian Consulate should be able to help you out.

Good-on-ya-mite.

Don

Hi Sproggers

I am originally from the great land down under and went backpacking through Central America, Mexico, USA and Canada. I met my wife-to-be in Canada and rest is history! Those times were one of the best in my life and I highly encourage everyone, both young and young at heart, to experience backpacking through foreign countries. You will learn a great deal about the world, other people and yourself. I think the work visa for Oz is valid for people 27 and under.........I don't know if you fit into this category?!? As per Don's suggestion the best thing to do is call the nearest consulate....YOW, YYZ and YVR (I think). You will have a blast......definitely travel to the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest in Queensland, the red centre (and Uluru, formerly Ayers Rock) and Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory, the Great Ocean Road and the 12 Apostles in Victoria. Tasmania has lots of beautiful scenery too! Sydney harbour is the most scenic in the world and go for a tour to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The list is endless. Have fun.

Cheers

Croc

Guest BillyBigToe

Wish you all the best... If there was some way I could supply you with a pass I would but of course with the new rules...

Have a Toohey for all of us.

Guest Connaught

hell i am moving there, already on layoff and the wife is Aussie, and she's homesick . I might have a job fixin airplanes down there but i don't know

leavein at the end of the month and watchin the flight loads to see how it goes

send me a e-mail johons@yahoo.com

I did the backpacking thing for a few months in 84. It was a fantastic experience and you will love it.

Here's where to find some info on the visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/49whm.htm

There are lot's of oppurtunity to work as long as your not too fussy. You are not likely to get job's at $25/hr. The program is set up to let a traveller earn some extra cash and extend their visit to Australia. I spent some time waiting tables and picking fruit while I was there. The local job centres are very helpful with working holiday visa holders. As well, once your working, you'll here through the grapevine about job's. Staying in the great hostel network will also provide leads for jobs.

Getting around is pretty easy, with all major bus lines offering passes and discount fares.

http://www.greyhound.com.au/

I'm not to sure anymore about hitchhiking, but it was pretty easy when I was there.

As someone already stated, there are a few must see's, Great Barrier Reef (Cairns area) Alice Springs, Uluru, Kata Juta, (Red Centre) Kakadu (near Darwin). There is so much more to see as well. 4 trips and I still have lot's I want to see.

My best advice would be to not plan too much ahead of time. Get the documents set up, perhaps a place in Sydney for 4 or 5 days to get your bearings and then see what happens.

Good Luck, and if I can help with anything else drop me a note at

yyzac11@yahoo.com

CA

Spoggers,

Sounds like a great Idea. I am not a former backpacker but I am a current one. And I ain't no spring chicken.

I spent this spring back packing in Africa.

You can start in Uganda, see the Gorrillas at the Rawanda border, raft in the upper Nile then work south through Kenya, Tanzania, Visit the crater and climb Kili.

Then south through Malawi. ( lake Malawi contains 90% of the world fresh water tropical fish). Bungee jumping at Vic Falls and Whitewater rafting in the Zambeze (sp) river in Zambia. You Get to Cape Town for the southern summer.

Check out "OVERLANDING" on a search engine. They put 20 or so in a truck and camp or you can travel on your own, by bus etc.

Either way, good on ya, but I recommend that you don't just limit yourself to Oz. Its a great big very cool world out there, Go for it.

Another good site to check is Gapyear.com. Mostly for kids between high school and U. But these Kids tolerate us oldies too. Look for the key word, Career Gap on that site and others.

Keep us posted on your adventure, sounds greats.

There are many career gappers out traveling these days, you will not be alone out there.

spogger,

I travelled independently but if you want theassurance of being around others, beyond the hit and miss of what you meet at the hostel. The Overland groups are good, they tend to be about 75% women and under 30.

Try World wide adventure travel

and Nomad adventure travel.

Check out Jolly boys for a typical hostel, they are in Malawi..

There is life beyond aviation here in Canada.

V1

Guest spoggers

GREAT INFO GUYS !!! Thanks a lot !! I've copied the information, the email addreses too. I'll send a message along soon.

Thanks anyway Billy BT for the pass offer but, I'll still have 3 months left on my travel perks.

Everyone, thank you !!!

Guest spoggers

.........Yes, there is a life outside of Aviation !! And now is the perfect time to find that out.

V1, I never even thought of Africa, but, I've just looked at some sites on the net (on your advice) and it does look amazing ! Glad to hear that this isn't such a dumb idea. Cargo agent, and everyone else .....Thank you ! You've given me great place to start.

In case anyone else wants to venture out on this kind of trip, just drop me a line at forgetjazz2003@yahoo.ca (yeah, I like it too).

Now I'm going to forget about 55, 75, 110 seaters and just find a single seat in nice Bistro, cafe, river raft and just enjoy life !! Beacuse before we know it, we're a long time dead !

Cheers everyone, I'll update you from around the world !!!

Spoggers

Guest Virtual

For your information and from experience, if you're collecting UI, you need to be 'seen' as actively pursuing employment. Leaving Canada can make 'them' suspicious about you not really 'wanting' to be employed...and they can cut you off. If this is the case, I'd advise you to backpack near a few airfields/airlines with a resume to help you 'legitimize' your travels. (They like to keep informed.) If this isn't the case ...ignore the advice. Either way ... have the time of your life. You'll never regret it.

Spent a year in OZ on the same visa. I believe it is available to anyone under 32 or 35 (forget the exact age) and allows you to work for a company to a max of 3 months.

There is a TON to do and in 3 months you'll behard pressed to see it all. Of course my plan was to stay for 3 months and I stayed for 14!!!!! Anyway, the best plan is to decide what you want to see and decide where to start first. If you leave in August (the OZ winter) you would be better off to start in the North (Cairns, Darwin) where the weather is warm and the rainy season has not begun. Then work south.

Some highlights-Cape Tribulation, The Great Barrier Reef (learn to dive here if you have never dived), Sydney, Tasmania (a must in my opinion- the famous Overland Track, a five day hike, is one of the best I have ever done). THe 'inbetween' parts are excellent as well. Point is you won't be bored!!

mkunz@cogeco.ca

Guest rphydro

According to the link Cargo Agent gave the requirements are ...

"passport holders from arrangement countries

aged between 18 and 30, and

without dependent children. "

I've gotten very interested in this myself too. My question is how easy was it to find short term jobs while touring Oz?

rp

It can be tough. If you have bartending or waitering experience you have a leg up. I picked mango for a while--low pay, hard work and I got sick.

There are loads of backpackers and many of those looking for work. In the citiesw you can go thru temp agencies, especially if you have any useful 'office' skills or other professional skills (ie. accountant etc). Otherwise you'll be looking at 'labour' jobs, some of which can pay well.

If you are looking to cover expenses you can, for example, try getting a job on a dive boat in Cairns. You complete everything up to your dive master and they board you for 3 months (ie. work for the training).

The same can be done in places like the Whitsudays, where you can attempt to find work on a sailboat for room and board. You won't save much if anything with these jobs but you'll have a hell of a time and not spend any money. I'd suspect those jobs are still fairly competitive to get.

Like anywhere, some legwork and perseverance/luck should get you a half decent job.

Try www.loneyplanet.com for some info. I'm sure there are hundered of other good websites as well.

Hi I Don't post here much anymore. But I do have a huge place for Australia in my heart,as I lived their for 2 and a half years 1985-88. I went down on a student visa which at that time entitled the user to work at least part time...now this is or at least was a country which had no SS card or national ID card in place..so fill in the gaps yourself as to the the ability to work etc.

Some of the best windsurfing conditions are to be had there.

I rode a scoot across the Nullabor in summer with temps peaking at 50 c. Unbelieveable scenery. Good luck DR

EI likely won't pay benefits if you are out of country. Even if you say you are looking for work. It can be OK to travel for an interview tho.

If the idea is to have someone else file for you whilst away, think again. They cross check with immigration for just that scenario.

It's been a while for me, but I understand it is still very easy. A lot of seasonal employemnt available in tourism and agriculture. Hostel message boards were a great help to me. Job centre's also had lot's of ad's for short term work.

Good Luck

CA

Guest McChicken

interestingly enough, my wife is a visa officer here in dubai, for the auzzie consulate.

the word is - UNDER 30 yrs of age and primary purpose of the visit is to travel and not work. it's called a "working holiday visa".

try www.immi.gov.au to get more info. look under the "visit" section.

good luck,

JM

Guest McChicken

interestingly enough, my wife is a visa officer here in dubai, for the auzzie consulate.

the word is - UNDER 30 yrs of age and primary purpose of the visit is to travel and not work. it's called a "working holiday visa".

try www.immi.gov.au to get more info. look under the "visit" section.

good luck,

JM

Archived