For Kal

Re your posting 03 June 3:49 pm which, for some reason, the voodoo magic of this forum does not allow a response...thus I am here, and here is my response....

Re your post..Power vs Sail

Trying to think of a witty answer but all I can come up with is to tell you that I am sitting here at my desk resplendid in burgundy shorts and a white T-shirt that has a sailboat on it......with a red circle around it and a red line through the middle of the circle....I'm sure you get the picture..... :>

Hang on.... lemme picture it....

click*RrrRrrRrrPhlUUmblublublublublublublub... Cl-RrrRrrRrrRPHlummmbblubbbubblblubblubblublubbl....gurglelublublublublublubgurgle...

Ya, I think I can hear them :) That's a nice sound... Almost as nice as hearing a V12 at idle. ;)

I sorta wish they were bubglubbubclub but the are actually crackpopcrackblat....the boat is American and as such the exhaust is "straight through"...not exiting below the water line. The 4 exhausts actually go through the swim platform and there is no room in the engine room for mufflers as the manifolds only have about 12 inches before they exhaust out the stern. The engines are fitted in backwards as "V" drives.

Not exactly quiet but then again they are not too annoyingly loud. I had a single 350cu inche inboard on our ski boat and it was a beautiful sound when it exhausted underwater. I guess one just can't have everything.....sorta like being an airline employee :|

Based on what I have heard from some car "fixer uppers", delving into foreign car rebuilds can be very expensive, however it says a lot about a persons character as most of the car buffs I have spoken to seem to have an abundance of patience.

Nothing like sitting in something you built almost from scratch :)

Good luck with your MGs, I beautiful little car.

Gas???

Dry Exhaust??

Get off now skipper!!!! She's bound to blow,,, at some point. Right to the water line in about 3.5 minutes.

Glad to here you at least keep a rapid evac vehicle on board. You do hold frequent drills ,,, right?? ;)

Might have misled you. She is raw water cooled but even then the water going out the manifold/exhausts doesn't do much of a job in keeping the noise down, like a below the waterline exhaust system.

Drills???? Only when I get really PO'd at travelling at 7 kts and then I see how fast I can drop the J/S over and go for a 50-60mph "burn". Sorta like airline flying, every pilot should be issued a Tudor/T33/F5 or F18 so when completely bored they can go "bend" a machine in the sky :)

No I got it. Out here in blue water country that is what is referred to as dry exhaust, whether its up a stack or out the stern. I guess since you just drive around in a little puddle you could just jump off and wade to shore when she does blow. ;)

You know I'm kidden Where you are is one of God's happy places, I'm fortunate enough to live in another,,but between boats :(

take care

Guest Pete Jensen

74-76 TR6 is my baby

I rebuilt one some years back (a real learning process) and had a blast with it !

... I sure wish I could afford one of those these days !

Pete Jensen

Hmmmm...

Mine has a neat trick called "silent choice" attached... two butterfly valves, one on each exhaust manifold, that can either direct the exhaust out the thru-hull stacks, or, when switched, through the prop on the outdrive (a Mercury sterndrive). In the "silent" mode (when all is working properly) it can sneak into the dock at night, but in the thru-hull mode, can give all the pony's of the "350 magnum" to the prop with no backpressure on the exhaust.

In any case, the sounds of power have been wearing my eardrums out... Over the years these flying machines have done quite a number to my hearing, but I still love the sound of several cylinder piston pounders thumping away. :D

More than happy to provide the diversion... but tell me... how can you say "old British cars" and "keep me sane" in the same sentence?? Oh, I know!! You've replaced the entire Lucas anti-theft devices with some real ignition system, right? ;)

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived