AC 2002 and Q1 - Major cuts

dagger

Guest TonkaJet

Amazing that you can park 40 aircraft and not lay any pilots off at the mainline. My guess is the major reduction at Jazz must be about to happen. Things are about to get interesting......

PS. In the time it took me to type this Air Canada just lost about $8000!!

Will a lot of pilots be on reserve with 40 aircraft parked and 17% less flying that's a lot of money sitting at home can AC let that happen? I would think a few would get laid-off.If there is no lay-offs with this much of a major cut than AC is doomed for sure or do you think AC can carry extra flight crews at this time.

Guest q650

Jazz told their union reps last week that additional pilot layoffs might be considered but no immediate action ensued.

I, too, must have missed the part about no mainline pilot layoffs. This para from the release would indicate otherwise to me:

As a result of the reduction in flying, approximately 40 aircraft

will be grounded. The fleet reductions include wide-body and narrow-

body aircraft at the Mainline carrier and some turbo-prop aircraft

at Air Canada Jazz.

Sadly, it would indicate layoffs across the board are possible.

Hello Wizard;

Re "Will a lot of pilots be on reserve with 40 aircraft parked and 17% less flying that's a lot of money sitting at home can AC let that happen?"

It is no longer up to AC. It is in the hands of Judge Winkler and the CCAA Monitor.

"I would think a few would get laid-off."

The ACPA LOUs provide enormous flexibility for the company to schedule their crews. LOU52 was to prevent the layoff of 171 pilots and so far, expires June 30th.

The question that needs to be asked, (and I am sure it will by the Monitor), is, with flexibility to fly crews as high as 85 hours and 90 hours voluntarily, how far can blocks be reduced under shrink-flex before the "cross-over" point is reached and reduced hours is no longer viable? Work-sharing is now out of our hands. It is an exceptionally unpleasant consideration, but must be addressed face on. We are in uncharted territory.

Don

Obviously, you are not connected with ACPA or the realities of ACPA, or the attitudes of ACPA pilots/Executives. Obviously you have no idea of initiatives past and present, which deal with your suggestion, obviously, you lack the facilty to understand as many examples have been posted here recently.

To your credit, you have a woderful immagination.

Before my husband left Jazz, well ACR actually, he was very concerned by the way AC was selling off bits and pieces of it's self over the years.

I know the subject was discussed here, and as one person put it (not a direct quote) "selling the furniture to keep the house." I guess Milton has run out of furniture.

Best of Luck to all our friends at Jazz, and AC, living under this kind of stress can take a toll. Just remember what's important in life, and if you made friends along the way, you'll do ok.

Guest The Clumsy Lover

I would guess the major reductions will be at the mainline. AC currently has about 14 pilots per aircraft and with a reduction of about 35+ frames I would guess about 500 pilots are surplus. The big question will be how many guys retire and how ACPA can work shrink flex hours into the equation. Either way you look at it about 450 positions are in question. With 100 or so retirements this year and the x factor I wouldn't be surprised to see 300 guys looking for work. All this of course in my humble opinion.

My best wishes to all the bottom feeders and their family's like myself at all divisions.

I should have been a rock star...

Hi wizard,

FWIW, my understanding differs from Don's. Judge Winkler is a facilitator, not an arbitrator. He does not make decisions regarding how the various labor issues will be resolved. Neither, to my knowledge, does the Monitor.

My understanding of the process is that there will be financial parameters that must be met. The two parties-- labor and management-- are free to work out how those parameters are realized. Obviously, given AC's financial state and forward expectations, the available options are very limited. I would expect Judge Winkler to keep the two sides focused on that narrow range of possibilities.

Given the unprecedented difficulties that our airline is experiencing, I believe that job losses are inevitable. Presumably management and our unions will do what they can to limit them, but I don't see how they will be avoided.

Good luck to all.

neo

What does this mean:

Overall capacity is being reduced by 17 per cent year over year for June, July and, on a preliminary basis, August.

4 years of stats and that still flew over my head...do they mean each month reflective of the past 12?

Thanks!

From the Globe and Mail

The Montreal-based airline said summer capacity will be 17 per cent below where it was last year. Most of the capacity and route cuts affect flights to Asia and to the United States.

Air Canada said it will cut Asian travel by 60 per cent, scrapping its Toronto-Tokyo/Narita flights and its Vancouver-Nagoya flights for a year.

Airline capacity is measured by the number of seats available multiplied by the average length of a flight.

Where has anyone seen that there will be no ACPA pilot layoffs? So far there has been no response from anyone concerning pilot layoffs at mainline, so everyone is just speculating.

The only way that pilot layoffs will be avoided is for someone, whether it be the company or the pilots (or both), to show the monitor that work-sharing (flex hours) and voluntary leaves etc. will be cheaper than the subsequent bid and all the associated re-training.

To many that may seem like the mainline pilots just trying to protect their jobs at the expense of others or the companys' future, but it is the reality to re-training thousands of pilots. For example, for every 747 captain that is retrained the downwards training effect could be as high as 7 or 8 courses.

That is the reality of pilot training at Air Canada. It would be interesting to hear what other people have to say about this or if they agree.

IMHO

Hi Beth

I believe that they are saying that Jun and July will be down 17% over last year. Aug is planned to be down 17% as well but that Aug will be re-visited and might be adjusted either up or down depending on how the loads are looking as we get closer to Aug 1.

Good luck

Greg

That's it, Mr. Frustrated has solved all of Air Canada's problems, if not Canada's. We will all use Jetsgo as a model of corporate/company direction.

Mr. Frustrated, whenever the company has asked ACPA for flexibility, they have come to the plate. If you can't see that, too bad. (also when I was at a blue regional, CALPA/ALPA was always there when CAIL was teetering).

Archived