Bloody press! To hell with 'em!

Mitch Cronin

A sour spin... That's what I heard on tonights news... emphasis on the "grumbling"...

Screw them all! We needed a party! A celebration of our successes and our brighter future potential is just what the doctor ordered, imo. Damn the expense, it's a good thing and I'm bloody proud to have been a part of having struggled through this past couple years... Celine is a damned fine choice for someone to sing our songs.

....but it figures the news would choose to highlight the "grumbling".... bugger them all! We're on a good track, with a great new look and a lot of good new attitudes.

Here's to many more successful years as Canada's proud flag carrier! martini.gifthumbs_up.gif

Are ya listenin', all you sourpuss news hounds? We're gonna do just fine now!

On balance, the coverage has been overwhelmingly positive - and prominent - except for D'Cruz's stupid quote and that interjection by an official of your very favorite union. No matter, the new look, the new uniforms... Celine's appearance in the new uni and some nice words from Rick Erickson carried the day.

And wait till you see the Embraer 190 next year. I liked Milton's description of the plane and how it will impact AC : "It's a game-changer."

(p.s. Mitch... I see a lot of Portuguese labeling on those planes. Better break out the Mateus!)

biggrin.gif

Celine's appearance in the new uni and some nice words from Rick Erickson carried the day.

Speaking of Rick Erickson. This man can flip flop like a fish on land. He seems to go with which ever way the wind is blowing. Was is not too long ago that he was predicting liquidaiton for us.

Speaking of Rick Erickson. This man can flip flop like a fish on land. He seems to go with which ever way the wind is blowing. Was is not too long ago that he was predicting liquidaiton for us.

You must be thinking of Jacques Kavafian.

He hasn't been heard of recently, has he?

A sour spin... That's what I heard on tonights news... emphasis on the "grumbling"...

There was lots of positive press out West. The AC people need a boost and hopefully this is the first of many events the employees can enjoy. Remember....treat your people well, they will treat your guests (oops, I mean pax) well, and the shareholders will benefit.

Must.........stop.....drinking.......from......the.......water....cooler. tongue.gif

Guest rattler

Not sure I would call this positive, note the negative title.

Calgary Sun

Wed, October 20, 2004

Facelift for AirCan

Troubled carrier unveils new passenger perks

By JON HARDING, BUSINESS EDITOR

Air Canada is turning over a new leaf, adding a dash of green to a redesigned tail-wing emblem and touch-screen TVs to seatbacks on many of its aircraft starting in May. The airline also plans to outfit front-line employees in snazzy new duds and will make "lie flat" seating available to first-class, international flyers.

Canada's biggest carrier, which recently emerged from bankruptcy protection, barnstormed the country on a four-city promotional tour yesterday, that included a pit-stop in Calgary, home to top rival WestJet.

"The initiatives announced today signal a renewed focus on providing our customers with value-driven products and services that place Air Canada on the forefront of international carriers," said president and CEO Robert Milton, who made the trek aboard a Boeing 767-300 painted in the new colour scheme of a silvery white body and green tail with a red maple leaf.

Canadian songbird Celine Dion was also aboard. The airline's new TV marketing campaign features Dion's song You and I.

Air Canada is updating its aircraft to include video and music on demand through touch-screen monitors for all passengers. The feature will be available on Air Canada's new Bombardier CRJ 705 aircraft starting in May.

According to company spokesperson Angela Mah, installation on the airline's international fleet will begin next September followed by the North American fleet.

WestJet also plans to install live TV at each seat.

The introduction of first-class seats that fully recline will begin as early as next September on Air Canada's international flights.

ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., Air Canada's new holding company, is scheduled to release its quarterly financial statement by Nov. 15.

Air Canada said last week it expects to report quarterly operating income of $235 million, up from $17 million a year ago. However, the number excludes reorganization and restructuring costs, which Milton said represent a "significant amount."

Air Canada still faces hurdles, especially as the price of oil flirts with record highs. Milton said each sustained $1 US increase in the price of a barrel of oil costs the airline $30 million in annual fuel expenses.

Calgary airline analyst Rick Erickson suggested the facelift comes at the right time for customers, investors and employees, alike, saying "a new company should have a new look."

Air Canada also announced it will spend $46 million over three years on a co-operative advertising campaign with the Canadian Tourism Commission, jointly promoting Canada in the U.S. and Great Britain starting in early 2005.

Guest rattler

Of course it is a newspaper from Westjet's HQ city.. I wonder if the papers in YUL give AC the same sort of bias? biggrin.gif

By the by, Kip.... any update on the baggage issue????

Not sure I would call this positive, note the negative title.

I was initially refering to the coverage on the TV news last night. Most of it was positive or at least neatral. The newspapers had time to give the story some negative spin. It's what you would expect from the West versus East media crap.

The whole article is about AC and then this one line is slipped in. Does that tell you anything about the authors bias ? Strange way to write an article..indeed huh.gif

Same line in the Edmonton Urinal. They are both Global papers are they not?

QUOTE (Kip Powick @ Oct 20 2004, 08:46 AM)

The whole article is about AC and then this one line is slipped in. Does that tell you anything about the authors bias ? Strange way to write an article..indeed 

Don't know if the use of "also" is correct either. The AC system will have 80 hours of canned programming and the ability to pause, stop, rewind etc. At first glance "Live TV" seems like a good selling point but overall I think VOD would be better.

Archived