Para Seven is interesting ??

Kip Powick

Wow!!

I didn't know Canadian Airline brought 7 billion dollars of debt to the Shotgun wedding. If this man knows what he is talking about(and he was a present government "Minister") that has to put a dent in anyone budget (or wedding).

Returning to the shell.

Later,

IS

Guest Dick Dastardly

Wedge,

You shouldn't always accept what you read with blind faith. CAIL's debt was 3.4 billion prior to restructuring and 2 billion after.

Guest Dick Dastardly

Wedge,

You shouldn't always accept what you read with blind faith. CAIL's debt was 3.4 billion prior to restructuring and 2 billion after.

Tobin was wrong...Research has found the COMBINED debt load of both AC and CP was over 7 Billion. Say BUD do a little research and don't always take what as written, no matter who writes it, as gospel and really...was the sarcasim needed???

"Contrary to popular myth, Air Canada was not "forced" to absorb Canadian Airlines -- in fact, it fought tooth and nail for the merger."
Hmmm, what is everyones take on this statement?

"Contrary to popular myth, Air Canada was not "forced" to absorb Canadian Airlines -- in fact, it fought tooth and nail for the merger."
Since you AC boys have taken the statement that CAIL brought 7 Billion in debt to the table at face value, then this statement must be correct as well?

Little testy here aren’t you WEDGE ??? I guess when one has a personal dislike for an individual; one may think that a Posting Header such as “Para seven is interesting” does create grounds for more personal contempt for the poster.

Of course you do fail to mention that you took the article at face value, and immediately alluded to the 50% fleet of 737s and that huge debt, that CP brought to the table, didn’t you ??? Didn’t see a correction posted in the thread by you either, although I must admit you did attempt an oblique correction, for your assumptions, way down here, nowhere near your first response.

BUD/WEDGE, enjoy your G48 but may I suggest that you exercise some restraint with regard to accusations concerning my motivation when posting anything, discard personal vendettas, and enjoy your role with the RJ.

As much as I tend to disagree with your approach to a civil conversation, I do hope you are not one of those that will be shown the door.

Correction, Pierre Garneau never said that it was 5 billion, I said that Tobin was off by 5 billion. Tobin says $7B, Garneau thinks $2B. The difference is $5B. Speaking to a few financially savvy types, AC did not actually buy CAIL, but rather a numbered Alberta company who put it in CCAA. The end result was a major reduction in that debt, considering tax advantages to Air Canada.

Anyone with good numbers and facts, please join in. Regards.

Pierre Garneau
C A320 YYZ

Guest PRAPELLOR

From the August 25, 1988 Prospectus

Page 28 Balance Sheet items:

Long term debt: $1,033,000,000.

Subordinated perpetual bonds: $336,000,000.

On page 26 under financing plan a further $1.5 Billion of financial commitments to 4 lenders are listed, linked to the purchase of 767 and 320 aircraft.

So Tobin is long on hyberbole and short on facts as usual.

"If that was the case, then why did the Liberal government suspend the competition laws which started the ONEX ball rolling?"

Schwartz is buds with Collenette and wanted to make some money in the airline game. Collenette said okay. It's the same game that led to civillian Scwartz's ride in an F-18. I was going to say the ride was free however, I'm sure Collenette got greased in return? Democracy at its finest?

Archived