Southwest engine cowling blows off

I always shook my head every time I hear about them getting fined knowing full well the final settlement is always for pennies on the dollar.  

23 hours ago, Specs said:

I always shook my head every time I hear about them getting fined knowing full well the final settlement is always for pennies on the dollar.  

Like Boeing, it's the cost of doing business. (With no liability attached)

The Daily Mail... wow, I'm shaking my head at the quality of journalism these days. So, according to the story, it sounds like the pilot mistakenly broadcast a transmission intended for ATC to the passenger cabin via the P.A.? Anyway, I don't know what engine type are used on Southwests fleet, CFM56 or Leap? Interesting though, this issue of the fan cowl departing the aircraft has only ususally been experienced by the A320 family aircraft, I was surprised to see it on a 737.

There have been numerous cowl separations on the Boeing fleet too. This was a CFM engine, but cowls have separated from P & W's, IAE's and RR's too. The engine really has little to do with it. It's usually about failing to secure the latches properly.

• Like 3