Cargolux 747 Experiences Gear Problem

deicer

21 hours ago, J.O. said:

That body gear truck is huge and yet it's bouncing down the runway like a tennis ball. Crazy!

I was impressed at how the plane just kept rolling down the runway seemingly unaffected. 

lnertia can be quite the wonder.     

Edited by Specs

26 minutes ago, Specs said:

I was impressed at how the plane just kept rolling down the runway seemingly unaffected. 

lnertia can be quite the wonder.     

Probably be a different story if had been one of the main gear bogeys that departed...arrghhhh 😱

4 hours ago, deicer said:

If it was one of the wing bogeys, no problem, that's happened before.  Just gives you a bit of a tilt.

No problem?  That's what someone who's never flown a situation like this would say.

"No problem?  That's what someone who's never flown a situation like this would say."

Thank you for once again trying to discredit me with no basis in fact.  

As shown in the BBC article I posted, having the redundancy of a quad gear is like having the redundancy of 4 engines.  Makes a bad situation not as bad as it could be.

Now if it was a twin gear widebody, do you think in your superior background of knowledge that it would have been the same result if they lost a bogey?

2 hours ago, deicer said:

"No problem?  That's what someone who's never flown a situation like this would say."

Thank you for once again trying to discredit me with no basis in fact.  

As shown in the BBC article I posted, having the redundancy of a quad gear is like having the redundancy of 4 engines.  Makes a bad situation not as bad as it could be.

Of course it's not as bad as it could be.  That's not the point.  I'm merely commenting on statement that it's "no problem".  It certainly is a problem and a big one to boot.  A couple of highly trained pilots were able to successfully land an aircraft with severe mechanical deficiencies.  All too often the skill required to do this is tossed aside and trampled on - "no problem" rather than acknowledging the true reality of what happened.

I'm not trying to discredit you but simply pointing out the natural tendency of those who don't do the job to underestimate the skill and talent of those who do do the job.

I don't care if we're talking about accountants, short-order cooks or pilots - skill and talent should not be dismissed with a "no problem" when some complicated situation is managed to a successful conclusion.

I do understand that you are not casually dismissing the skill and talent of these pilots intentionally but I'm using your post to remind us that posting "no problem" in this context does exactly that (inadvertently).

BTW:  "once again trying to discredit me with no basis in fact."  Where's that coming from?  I have, I believe, disagreed with you occasionally but certainly my opinion is less worthy than yours and characterizing it as trying to discredit you with no basis in fact is hardly fair.

I do understand that you are not casually dismissing the skill and talent of these pilots intentionally but I'm using your post to remind us that posting "no problem" in this context does exactly that (inadvertently).

BTW:  "once again trying to discredit me with no basis in fact."  Where's that coming from?  I have, I believe, disagreed with you occasionally but certainly my opinion is less worthy than yours and characterizing it as trying to discredit you with no basis in fact is hardly fair.

If you hadn't made this comment:  No problem?  That's what someone who's never flown a situation like this would say.

Then it wouldn't have been taken as Pilotsplaining.

You don't know someone's background in aviation, which was a career of just short of 4 decades, and which also includes holding a pilots license.  (Not transport rated though)

Deicer - Congrats on the long career.

You seem to be reacting with more vigor than seems appropriate for what I posted which makes me think I didn't explain myself correctly and you're reading something I didn't intend.  Mea Culpa.