Lawyer Recomendation -

Specs

A pilot friend at one our majors was recently terminated. 

He claims it was a medical issue that he felt put him in the position of operating an airplane unsafely and he refused to fly.  The company said otherwise and now he needs a lawyer to negotiate a termination settlement with the company. 

Does anybody know of any lawyers out there for pilots?  

2 hours ago, Specs said:

A pilot friend at one our majors was recently terminated. 

He claims it was a medical issue that he felt put him in the position of operating an airplane unsafely and he refused to fly.  The company said otherwise and now he needs a lawyer to negotiate a termination settlement with the company. 

Does anybody know of any lawyers out there for pilots?  

Is he a member of a union?

4 hours ago, Specs said:

He was but they parted somehow. 

Union members in Canada have limited avenues available in pursuing employers. Your friend should read these and other similar articles from employment law firms before deciding on a course of action.

https://jeffreyrobles.com/2021/01/04/as-a-union-member-can-i-sue-my-employer/

https://sultanlawyers.com/blog/how-do-i-enforce-my-rights-if-i-am-part-of-a-union/

• Thanks 1

Is the medical issue affecting your pilot driven by a federal mask or vaccination mandate?  If so, it's not going to be the company they are up against, as the mandates are federal, major airlines are subject to federal regulation and suing the crown for termination damages is going to take some niche level skills.

Vs

10 minutes ago, Vsplat said:

Is the medical issue affecting your pilot driven by a federal mask or vaccination mandate?  If so, it's not going to be the company they are up against, as the mandates are federal, major airlines are subject to federal regulation and suing the crown for termination damages is going to take some niche level skills.

Vs

I'm no expert but I agree with his wife that it was some kind of depression.  He has completely withdrawn from everybody which is why he and the union parted ways I think.  

That's worrisome news.  Good you can offer support.  Hopefully there is a health care provider in the picture there for both your friend and those trying to support him. 

I recall a briefing about depression and pilots specifically getting a particularly rough ride.

Without identifying too much, is there a pilot base you can share?  That at least might narrow down what legal community the search should be in.

All the best

Vs

6 hours ago, Vsplat said:

That's worrisome news.  Good you can offer support.  Hopefully there is a health care provider in the picture there for both your friend and those trying to support him. 

I recall a briefing about depression and pilots specifically getting a particularly rough ride.

Without identifying too much, is there a pilot base you can share?  That at least might narrow down what legal community the search should be in.

All the best

Vs

He's in Toronto.