Flying WJ.....I' m so excited !

Kip Powick

Well there you go. I am all set to take my first flight with WestJet and I am sooooo excited.... biggrin.gif ....but I have a question…..

WJ website says that luggage allowed PER PERSON is TWO pieces and the maximum weight is 70 lbs per piece. That would mean that Scuba 02 and I could take a total, (checked luggage) of 280 lbs.

Skyservice, on the other hand says…As a rule, each passenger is allowed a maximum of two pieces of checked luggage, the combined weight of both pieces not to exceed 44 lbs. Therefore with Skyservice our combined allowable checked luggage weight would be 88lbs.

Yikes… icon_eek.gif what a difference !! blink.gif

In fairness to WJ, the figures above are for US/Canadian destinations…..Anyhow the WestJet website has no detail as to what weight will be allowed for CHARTER flights to the South, (Caribbean) …. Anyone know what the figures will be ??? icon_question.gif

Glad to see you're open to giving us a try, Kip - hope you enjoy it.

I'm going to guess that our baggage allowance standards apply to all of our flights, but I am not 100% sure about that. I'll get back to you if I'm wrong. Where are you flying from and when if you don't mind me asking?

Glad to see you're open to giving us a try, Kip - hope you enjoy it.

I'm going to guess that our baggage allowance standards apply to all of our flights, but I am not 100% sure about that. I'll get back to you if I'm wrong. Where are you flying from and when if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe you can get him an upgrade! Oops, wrong airline..

Kip, If you have a paper ticket you might want to check the bgg section for your limit..... Other than that, the charter company would be your best source of information.

CHECKED LUGGAGE (CHARTER):

MAXIMUM WEIGHT (Combined total): 44 lbs (20 kgs) 2 pieces are allowed.

MAXIMUM DIMENSION: 155 cm or 62" (less than 80?)  total combined

Dimensions (length + width + height).

Yep...where did you get the info??(I have not phoned anyone yet). The obvious question is WHY such a big difference between US and "Charter" in this case CAYO LARGO,CUBA. Do the aircraft carry excess fuel so as not to have to fuel in CUBA??

I fail to see why baggage weight would be so drastically reduced, on WJ, just because the flight is 1+00 longer than YYZ to MIA, for example

Or is all the food they have to put onboard...I mean really, we do get breakfast don't we ? Check-in starts at 0400 for a 0700 departure, cripes I hope there is more than peanuts and pretzels biggrin.gif

Anyhow, the change in allowances seems rather weird, although the numbers are is instep with Skyservice charters, however....sports gear (scuba gear) goes at no charge on Skyservice.

Will WJ allow scuba gear as a "no charge item" and let us carry 44 lbs of personal luggage each??? (that is basically what Skyservice does and for that matter every carrier I have used to get to and from the South.

I'm way ahead on the "planning angle" as the flight departs in early Dec...(no tickets or anything sent out to us until about 2 weeks before departure.

PS...thanks to all for the info smile.gif OK (edit here) I just called WJ customer service and they gave me , (he said he was guessing) 44 lbs total per person but he said it is up to the Travel Operator. WJ just rents out the aircraft and the Travel Operator sets the baggage rules. Seems weird that if on any other flight one can take 140lbs, and then some travel company comes up and says we are reducing the luggage by 96 lbs per person.... What difference does it make to them how much luggage goes on, unless they are renting the aircraft by the pound icon_question.gificon_question.gif

Yep...where did you get the info??(I have not phoned anyone yet). The obvious question is WHY such a big difference between US and "Charter" in this case CAYO LARGO,CUBA. Do the aircraft carry excess fuel so as not to have to fuel in CUBA?

Did a search on our computers. I couldn't begin to tell you why our allowance is lower on charter flights, sorry, but I figure it's up to Transat as to how much they allow. Not being a CSA I also can't help you with any questions regarding excess baggage or additional fees. Sorry.

FYI, you will have a typical charter meal. biggrin.gif

Kip, WJA might have special deals for sports equipment. For example, when I travel Transat, they allow me to bring a windsurfer free, on top of my regular luggage. You can check out the Transat website, it lists almost all imaginable sports equipment, including scuba gear, if memory serves me. With some luck, WJA may have a similar arrangement (especially if they are subcontracted by Transat) wink.gif

I was just there, (Air Transat website) and the puzzle is solved..... cool.gif

Air Transat will accept up to 30 kilos of scuba diving equipment, per person, free of charge

This is per person so I would expect WJ, contracted by World of Vacations or Air Transat, to fill in for lack of birds at that time re Air Transat, would have the same numbers so...........

Personal gear = 2 pieces of luggage - combined weight of 44 lbs - per person

and the "bubble" gear goes free ....

Whew it was so much easier to fly on Skyservice biggrin.gif

One fellow icon_arrowu.gif stated that we get a "charter-breakfast" on WJ on the way down...hope they don't throw the meals around like they do the peanuts rolleyes.gif Wonder if they have been actually trained to hand out "real airline food". wink.gif

Thanks for everyone's help

Whew it was so much easier to fly on Skyservice

So, what happened Kip? I thought after the last trip, you were a loyal customer! blink.gif You said so many nice things about us!

Actually, I think I know the answer. Have a great time!

It was mealtime on a small airline and the stewardess asked the passenger if he would like dinner.

"What are my choices?" he asked.

She replied, "Yes or No."

Archived