US Pilot Shortage Controversy Heats Up

Imo, AC has and continues to incur excessive costs that arise as a consequence of operating a large and varied fleet. As the plan now stands, there will soon be product offerings from four aircraft manufacturers on the property which come in six distinct types and at least a dozen different iterations.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Operating  a single type or even a less diverse set of types would not be practical.  Positioning the right size aircraft on a route has benefits.

I agree, there are many good reasons that justify fleet diversity, but unnecessary recurring costs are attached too, training, parts inventories and labour disruptions for example. AC has gone to quite a bit of trouble over the years to create regional, international, charter and specialty divisions that do, or will soon each operate one, maybe two common types and do business at arms length from AC itself.

Regional lift is all supplied by 3rd parties under CPA Agreements.  Rouge is hardly arms length. I do not know of an international specialty division, that is all mainline flying.

Flying a large aircraft with empty seats destroys yield in the market.  "right" sizing the lift to meet the demand maximizes yield in the market.  Sure there are costs in the background but most of those costs are incurred at startup of a new fleet type.  Holding inventory is becoming a thing of the past with companies like AAR that will handle inventory and logistics for you under parts pool agreements.  Bombardier has the Smart parts programs as well which significantly reduces inventory costs.

It is getting easier to operate a diverse fleet with the options available.

Maybe not all Mainline flying but 

Escape within Canada, to the Caribbean, Mexico, the U.S.,Europe, South America, Central America, Africa or Asia with Air Canada Rouge and enjoy smooth and easy connections from anywhere Air Canada flies.

5 hours ago, boestar said:

"right" sizing the lift to meet the demand maximizes yield

You are mixing up with RASM.

RASM is revenue per available seat mile

Yield is the cents per mile that average ticket 'yields'

I stand corrected.  I was looking at bums in seats not the cost thereof.  Same number of bums on the same aircraft can have a different yield. 

Trying to keep it simple.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived