Oldest FA ???

Kip Powick

Well, I might as well be the one to say - RETIRE ALREADY!  I've worked with my fair share of "older" FAs.  They might be the friendliest and most caring person possible.  They might be the best airline ambassador imaginable, but when it comes right down to it I wouldn't want them to be the one manning the L2 door on a dark and stormy night.  Sorry, but an 80 year old woman cannot be expected to do the job.  I don't mean the job of serving coffee and smiling at babies.  I mean the job of dragging unconscious people down the aisle to the slide.  And, just to be clear, I'm not being sexist 'cause I don't think an 80 year old man would be up to it either.

56 minutes ago, seeker said:

Well, I might as well be the one to say - RETIRE ALREADY!  I've worked with my fair share of "older" FAs.  They might be the friendliest and most caring person possible.  They might be the best airline ambassador imaginable, but when it comes right down to it I wouldn't want them to be the one manning the L2 door on a dark and stormy night.  Sorry, but an 80 year old woman cannot be expected to do the job.  I don't mean the job of serving coffee and smiling at babies.  I mean the job of dragging unconscious people down the aisle to the slide.  And, just to be clear, I'm not being sexist 'cause I don't think an 80 year old man would be up to it either.

I don't think it's necessarily an age thing. There are many younger wide body, as in super sized, and waif type F/As that would have trouble moving their own bodies down the aisle to the L2 door on that same stormy night let alone trying to get around the unconscious pax. 

seeker : "  I mean the job of dragging unconscious people down the aisle to the slide.  And, just to be clear, I'm not being sexist 'cause I don't think an 80 year old man would be up to it either. " that is not part of what a FA is expected to do. I well remember when the subject came up of a quadriplegic  having the right to self declare that they didn't need an attendant, "what if " in the case of an emergency evacuation, the conscientious  from the feds was that that individual would simply be left behind with no onus on the FA to perform a rescue (same would apply to an unconscious passenger), but of course they forgot about basic human nature where the FA would try their  to perform such a rescue. https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publication/travelling-with-an-attendant#toc-tm-2

Archived