People & Power - On a wing and a prayer

J.O.

Yep, I posted no comments because every viewer will have to decide on their own whether this story has any legs, or not. I'm really not sure, but it wasn't enough to cause me any concerns about flying on an NG, at least not one that's maintained here in Canada ...

Yep, I posted no comments because every viewer will have to decide on their own whether this story has any legs, or not. I'm really not sure, but it wasn't enough to cause me any concerns about flying on an NG, at least not one that's maintained here in Canada ...

Interesting video.

It appears there may be problems with Boeing's part suppliers but I don't think the report is accurate regarding recent 737 accidents. The Turkish crash at AMS was a combination of instrument and pilot error resulting in a stall before the runway and not an overrun. The AA aircraft at MBJ was a long landing and the fuselage broke up after it left the level surface of the runway. Neither of these accidents are the result of 737 structure or design.

Two aircraft have exited the west end of YYZ's 24L/R. An AC DC9 and an AF A340. Both types had structural failure with the fuselage breaking at similar points.

Just my opinion......I could be wrong.

Interesting video.

It appears there may be problems with Boeing's part suppliers but I don't think the report is accurate regarding recent 737 accidents. The Turkish crash at AMS was a combination of instrument and pilot error resulting in a stall before the runway and not an overrun. The AA aircraft at MBJ was a long landing and the fuselage broke up after it left the level surface of the runway. Neither of these accidents are the result of 737 structure or design.

Two aircraft have exited the west end of YYZ's 24L/R. An AC DC9 and an AF A340. Both types had structural failure with the fuselage breaking at similar points.

Just my opinion......I could be wrong.

There was a similar breakup (of a 757) in Spain about 13 years ago. Angus even circulated a memo about it!

There was a similar breakup (of a 757) in Spain about 13 years ago. Angus even circulated a memo about it!

You're right. Unfortunately that crew ended up in the mud with the aircraft broken in two places.

The 757 fuselage was built using the top section 707/737 attached to a 727 bottom.

http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safety_Issues/others/gerona-blunders.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Airways_Flight_226A

If one looks at accicent photographs from almost all types the breakup pattern is usually very similar. The blane tends to seperate at the production breaks. This is inherently the weakest part of the structure and thats why it breaks there. The door surrounds purpose was explained but I cannot recall a single failure in that area causing an accident.

Having worked in production I can attest that there are instances (and no small amount) of variances in manufacturing that require rework at installation of components, especially structural components. All non-conformances are logged with engineering and repairs made on installation. This is a normal fact of life in manufacturing on this scale. I will repeat ENGINEERING APPROVAL are required fro any deviations from the original specifications. Outright rejections are rare but do happen.

I will fly an NG anytime.

Archived