Tower Tapes

Kip Powick

Did the evacuate call come over ATC versus the Cabin....

SB

From what I have heard/read.....it initially came over ATC and then the Captain switched to PA and it went into the cabin..

In his haste to make the "Mayday" call and the event of "landing" he did not switch the radio over to PA....hardly blame the guy for that wink.gif

On the Airbus you can make a PA to the cabin either through the handset on the quadrant or through the audio control panel. Unlike the rest of the transmitters on the ACP, you do not need to select the PA prior to keying the transmit switch for the microphone. You transmit over the PA by pressing and holding the PA button, making it easier to ensure that you are talking to the cabin. There's nothing wrong with the handset, but I can usually get to the ACP faster. I have noticed that the announcements made with the handset tend to be quieter than when using the ACP.

What J.O. says is true but for emergency PA's I reach for the handset since it doesn't require any ACP selection and therefore potential mis-selection but the choice is there of course.

I just find the PA handset is an absolute and doesn't require the "finger-hitting-the-right-button-in-a-hectic-situation" thing.

It is MUCH easier (IMHO) to make a transmission INTENDED for the PA, to ATC (or on interphone) with the Boeing ACP's.

You will very rarely hear an intended PA on ATC coming from an Airbus since you have to push and hold down the PA button on the ACP. On the Boeing a selection of any other virtually identical button will result in a PA to the wrong destination (I'm not up on B777 but I assume its the same as 767).

CC

PS When making the emergency PA I am more concerned with accuracy than speed wink.gif

Archived