Your Tax Dollars At Work

This is ignorant hoo-haw. Populist poop. Every investment lost money last year. Even T-Bills are generating squat. The CPP valuation fell by 24%. Big deal. The stock market indices were down by more than that. They outperformed the market.

If the plan had lost 24% in a strong economy, these guys would have deserved the axe, but maybe 24% is actually good considering the fate of most investments last year.

This is ignorant hoo-haw. Populist poop

No, I would say your initial comment is rather ignorant. No one is asking that these individuals step down, they, (the public), are questioning huge bonuses when the portfolio they were working lost a ton of money.

Based on your take of the situation, had they made 24% , they could have probably have justified bonuses in excess of 4 or 5 times what they just took home.

It's about perception, the perception by the hard working man/woman who has enough smarts to see that most finances are in the dumper yet "some" execs are still bringing home the exceptionally big bucks. Would it not be in the best interest of these individuals to suspend the big bonuses until such time as their portfolio moves into the positive realm and then take a piece of the pie?

I can tell you that if my personal money manager decided to take a huge portion of my portfolio after it had spiraled down I would be severely PO'd but if I had made a wack of money above my initial investment, then I would not mind if he took a piece of the action.

These guys are playing/taking money from all of us..perception Dag..it is about perception and fair play, as seen through the eyes of the everyday man/woman.

See, I disagree because guys who worked really hard to minimize the losses a portfolio suffers, and made some prescient moves in that regard, have earned their bonus as surely as day follows night. Any fool can make money when markets are booming. What counts is outperforming in either rising or falling markets. It was often said about Sir John Templeton that what made his growth fund so appealing was the way his value investing strategy outperformed the indices in bear markets.

..it is about perception and fair play, as seen through the eyes of the everyday man/woman.

to which I would add;

The people who are paying their already hefty salaries.

I think Daggar has had to justify his own bonuses with some of his own clients, who have been taking it in the teeth. ph34r.gif I don't care what anyone says, if executive/fund manager pay is not tied to company/ stock portfolio performance, then where is the incentive.

JO makes the point.

These guys are already making a wage. I lose on my investment and they get a bonus, from where...the remnants of my original investment?

Give me a break! Where do these egos come from?

I found it interesting that on the CTV news last night the teaser was that the CPP managers got millions in bonuses.

When I read the local paper this morning the headline of the article was "CPP bosses take 31.4% hit to pay"

I guess the impression you are left with all depends on who is writing the article.

Archived