The Never-Ending Guantanamo Gong Show

BoomerPete

• 9 months later...

This guy had me fooled. Completely, totally. As a Canadian, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Yanks had evidence that was obviously not available to The Masses. I don't begrudge them that. It would seem his military trial was just and fair. Especially given the recommended vs the bargained sentence.

In the same breath, we saw the IMAX Saudi Arabia film in 3D today. Great pains were made to show the peaceful nature of Islam, a characteristic I believe in fully. It highlighted, if not silently, the extreme minority of their Faith who believe in jihad.

The Islamic world is in a similar situation as was the Christian world in the 14th century. It will pass, but unfortunately, probably Not In Our Time...

Uhhh.... Moon, old chappy.... :) Would you be kind enough to let me in on how you came to those conclusions? - "just and fair" and, US had evidence not available to us? (I don't think you'll tell me, what amounts to, "they said so", will you?)...

Don't get me wrong, please... I haven't decided otherwise at all, ...but I do see another clear possibility, given what we do know. That is.... His plea bargain was a no-brainer - rot in a cell for the rest of his life, or sign some papers and go free pretty soon.

How'd he have you fooled? :Scratch-Head:

Symbolic Term for Ex-Qaeda Soldier

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/us/02detain.html?ref=global-home

By CHARLIE SAVAGE

Published: November 1, 2010

WASHINGTON — A United States military commission at Guantánamo Bay has sentenced a former child soldier for Al Qaeda to 40 years in prison for war crimes — but he might be released in less than three years, the Defense Department said. A panel of seven military officers at the American military base in Cuba determined on Sunday that the child soldier, Omar Khadr, 24, should be imprisoned — for terrorism-related offenses he committed in Afghanistan when he was a teenager — until he nearly reaches retirement age.

But that sentence was theoretical. Under the terms of a plea agreement, Mr. Khadr will serve no more than eight years. Moreover, after one year, Mr. Khadr , a Canadian citizen, is likely to be transferred to a prison in Canada, where he would be eligible to apply for parole after serving two years and eight months.

“Were Khadr to be transferred, the terms of his incarceration would be subject to existing Canadian laws pertaining to custody and conditional release,” the Defense Department said in a statement, adding that the United States understood that Mr. Khadr “would be eligible to apply for parole after serving one-third of his sentence.”

Exactly how Mr. Khadr’s case will be handled by the Canadian parole system is unclear.

In murder cases, the Parole Board of Canada normally credits preconviction time served in custody to calculate when prisoners can apply for parole. Because Mr. Khadr was arrested just over eight years ago, he could be eligible as soon as he enters Canada.

But murder convictions in Canada carry a mandatory life sentence, which may enable the parole board to alter its normal practice, said David M. Paciocco, a law professor at the University of Ottawa. And because Mr. Khadr was 15 at the time of his arrest, special provisions of Canada’s prisoner-transfer laws related to murder convictions may apply, Allan Manson, a professor of law at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, said.

Even if Mr. Khadr is turned down on his first application, Professor Manson said, he is almost certain to be released after serving two-thirds of his sentence.

Mr. Khadr was captured in Afghanistan in 2002 after a firefight with American troops.

During that battle, an American sergeant, Christopher Speer, was killed by a grenade that Mr. Khadr was accused of throwing. A videotape found after the firefight was said to show Mr. Khadr making and planting roadside bombs.

Last week, Mr. Khadr, who was born in Toronto and comes from a Qaeda-linked family, pleaded guilty to all five charges against him, including murder in violation of the laws of war, spying and providing support to terrorism.

After his plea, a jury of seven military officers — who had not been told how long his maximum imprisonment would be under the plea agreement — spent several days hearing testimony about how to sentence him. Under tribunal rules, he would serve either the sentence imposed by the panel or the maximum time laid out in the plea agreement, whichever was shorter.

Prosecutors called Tabitha Speer, the widow of the Army sergeant killed by the grenade, who read letters from their children about their sadness at losing their father. The children were 3 and 9 months when their father died.

The defense, which argued for leniency because of Mr. Khadr’s youth, submitted evidence that he would probably attend a college in Edmonton, Alberta, after his release. Mr. Khadr also acknowledged responsibility for his acts and apologized to Ms. Speer.

Although prosecutors asked for a sentence of 25 years, the panel decided instead on a 40-year term. After the official sentence was announced, the judge disclosed Mr. Khadr’s eight-year plea agreement.

The judge also released the text of diplomatic notes exchanged by the United States and Canada over Mr. Khadr’s eligibility for eventual transfer.

In them, the United States said it would support his application to transfer after a year, and the Canadian government said it was “inclined to favorably consider Mr. Khadr’s application to be transferred to Canada to serve the remainder of his sentence.”

Both governments expressed doubt about whether the parole board in Canada — an independent agency— would release Mr. Khadr early, emphasizing “that eligibility for parole does not mean that the release will be granted.”

Ian Austen contributed reporting from Ottawa.

Uhhh.... Moon, old chappy.... :) Would you be kind enough to let me in on how you came to those conclusions? - "just and fair" and, US had evidence not available to us? (I don't think you'll tell me, what amounts to, "they said so", will you?)...

Don't get me wrong, please... I haven't decided otherwise at all, ...but I do see another clear possibility, given what we do know. That is.... His plea bargain was a no-brainer - rot in a cell for the rest of his life, or sign some papers and go free pretty soon.

How'd he have you fooled? :Scratch-Head:

Hey Mitch: I guess "just and fair" in the sense that the entire idea of Gitmo may be a violation of international law might be inflammatory. But this fellow has stated he did the act(s) for which he was accused, after years of denial. And he didn't do it just the once. He said it to the family. Notwithstanding any validity claims of the trial and sentencing itself, it seems to me that the 40 year "sentence" was a condemnation of the fellows lies over the years. Fuelling the fire also was the lawyer's statement that "Yes he admitted all the charges, but he's not really guilty". I mean, what was that s'posed to mean?

"Child soldiers"? I don't buy that line at all. The child soldiers of the Congo are 7 & 8 years old. This fellow admits to having consciously done the thing for which he was accused, with vigor and intensity. Yes, brainwashed from an early age. Why have the parents not been called to answer for the sins of their child? I'm sure there's been discussion "here" over the years about parental responsibilty involving crimes of offspring.

Re: unheard evidence - I don't know what there is/was. It seems reasonable to assume the Canadian government knew/knows more than we've been told given their continued reluctance through two administrations to even consider repatriation of the fellow.

Anyway, just some background to what I was thinking.

What a shame one of the largest groups in the world is held ransom by such few extremists. In the sense that African leaders want to look after African problems, the maybe the world of this young fellow's family should be looking after policing their own. But they don't.

Not sure why people are fooled so easily. Give the benefit of the doubt to him? Seems like people want to do that with so many who scam the system . Can't find work yet there are all kind of jobs available, we'll give the benefit of the doubt. Terrorism, repeat and violent offenders, etc. <BR><BR>Never did understand logic of that thought process or lack thereof. This case was obvious from the start.

• 6 years later...

Seems that where there was smoke, there was indeed fire , at least in this case.

Former Guantanamo detainee ID'd as suicide bomber who attacked Iraq military base

Born Ronald Fiddler, he was also known as Abu Zakariya al-Britani and Jamal al-Harith

The Associated Press Posted: Feb 22, 2017 5:28 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 22, 2017 7:14 AM ET

Jamal al-Harith, of Britain, a former inmate at Guantanamo Bay, gestures after his testimony about his time in detention to Europe's top human rights body in Paris, in this Dec. 17, 2004, file photo.

Jamal al-Harith, of Britain, a former inmate at Guantanamo Bay, gestures after his testimony about his time in detention to Europe's top human rights body in Paris, in this Dec. 17, 2004, file photo. (Remy de la Mauviniere/AP)

British news media say a suicide bomber who attacked a military base in Iraq this week was a former Guantanamo Bay detainee freed in 2004 after Britain lobbied for his release.

The SITE intelligence group says the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) identified the bomber as Abu Zakariya al-Britani. The BBC says the 50-year-old was formerly known as Ronald Fiddler.

The Daily Mail reported Monday that al-Britani was one of 16 men paid a total of 10 million pounds (now worth $12.4 million US) in compensation in 2010 when the British government settled a lawsuit alleging its intelligence agencies were complicit in the torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

Also known by the alias Jamal al-Harith, he said he was beaten, shackled, kept in a cramped cage and fed rotten food as part of systematic abuse during his two years at the U.S. detention facility.

ISIL suicide bomber identified as former Guantanamo detainee awarded $1.25M compensation

‎Yesterday, ‎February ‎21, ‎2017, ‏‎10:41:50 PM | Gordon Rayner, The Telegraph

LONDON — A British ISIL fighter who carried out a suicide bombing in Iraq this week is a former Guantanamo Bay detainee who was paid pounds US$1.25 million compensation by the government.

Jamal al-Harith, 50, a Muslim convert born Ronald Fiddler, detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base near Mosul, causing an unverified number of casualties.

He had been released from the US detention camp in 2004 and successfully claimed compensation after saying British agents knew of — or were complicit in — his mistreatment.

He was freed following intense lobbying by Tony Blair’s Labour government.

Al-Harith, who used the nom de guerre Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, entered Syria via Turkey in 2014 to join Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, leading to questions about the monitoring of terrorist suspects.

ODD ANDERSEN/AFP/Getty ImagesJamal al Harith leaves an RAF base in 2004 after being released from custody. He was among 5 British nationals who returned home from Guantanamo Bay.

It also raised the possibility that he had handed on to ISIL the compensation paid by British taxpayers.

Earlier this week, ISIL named him as the army base bomber and released an image of him sitting inside the “bomb car” grinning broadly, with wires and what may be a detonation button in the background.

A statement released by the terrorist group said: “The martyrdom-seeking brother Abu Zakariya al-Britani – may Allah accept him – detonated his explosives-laden vehicle on a headquarters of the Rafidhi army and its militias in Tal Kisum village, southwest of Mosul.”

“Rafidha” is a derogatory term for Shiite Muslims, whom ISIL consider to be heretics.

Al-Harith was arrested by US forces in Pakistan in 2001 as a suspected Taliban sympathizer and sent to Guantanamo Bay in Cuba in 2002.

On his release, the then home secretary David Blunkett said: “No one who is returned … will actually be a threat to the security of the British people.”

Al-Harith’s wife Shukee Begum travelled to Syria with their five children to try to persuade her husband to return to the U.K., but failed and was taken hostage before eventually managing to escape.

Al-Harith, originally from Manchester, was the son of Jamaican immigrants, converted to Islam in the Nineties and worked as a web designer before he travelled to the Pakistani city of Quetta in 2001 for what he claimed was a religious holiday.

He insisted he had tried to enter Iran when the US invaded neighbouring Afghanistan, but was captured and imprisoned by the Taliban on suspicion of being a British spy.

Ok so you hold someone in confinement and treat them like crap and are then surprised that the same person holds a significant grudge?  

America is spectacular at Pi$$ing people off and then being surprised that they get attacked.  Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Archived