Trouble in Mumbai

Kip Powick

In the late 80's we stayed at the Oberoi when flying YVR - LHR - BOM - SIN and return route. Fabulous hotel, centrally located on the Queen's Circle not far from the Taj. I think there are some Jet Airways crews staying there so am anxious to hear of them. Anyone?

post-5-1227779704_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of you as I watched the news last night, Rich. I'm glad to hear you're okay and safe, and I do hope all of your colleagues are safe as well. Let's just hope that they get control of the situation quickly. Several Canadians have been affected by this, either through being hostages or the loss of family members.

Got some "buddies" with Jetair over there..

News networks say some of the attackers have been captured. I have a feeling that they will probably be convinced to give some valuable information about this attack.

Man oh man, 21'st century...... what's this world coming to?

Air France crew trapped in Mumbai hotel: officials

2245hrs (IST) Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Hindu Group - Business Line

PARIS: Fifteen Air France crew members were trapped in a hotel in Mumbai on Thursday after militants launched attacks in India's financial capital that left more than 125 dead, French officials said.

The personnel were not being held hostage but remained holed up in their hotel, the five-star Oberoi/Trident, said the officials, who asked not to be named. Some 200 people were believed to be trapped in the Oberoi/Trident, the hotel group's vice-chairman said earlier.

An Air France spokeswoman declined to confirm the information, but said the crew in Mumbai was in contact with airline officials in Paris. The Air France crew was due to return to Paris on Thursday, according to the officials. Gunmen launched attacks a gainst luxury hotels and other targets in Mumbai late Wednesday, taking foreign hostages and killing more than 125 people. - PTI

Terrorism.....

As Robin Williams said in "Good Morning Vietnam"........

This dosen't look good on a resume.

How's the world going to react to this..

I'm going to the bar to watch Calgary win tonight....

beer_mug.gifbeer_mug.gifbeer_mug.gifbeer_mug.gif

Been to Fort William or Port Arthur lately? I used to ski behind Mt. Eisenhower in the Rockies. It's no longer on the maps. Guess there are folks in the map companies with nothing to do! mad.gif

On a more serious note I went to graduate school with several students from india, including two from Bombay. They were all very intelligent and genuinely nice people who would do anything to help you. Sad day indeed.

As Rich says, all of the Jet Airways folks are out towards the airport, so, to the best of my knowledge, all are ok.

Though most of the attacks were in the downtown area, one of them was a taxi blown up in Vile Parle, very close to the domestic terminal and definitely along the normal routes between the airport and some of the crew hotels.

Over the past few years we've seen increasing numbers of increasingly violent attacks (my quick count includes the train bombings in BOM 2 years ago, bombs in HYD, DEL as well as Varanasi and Jaipur all during my time in India, and a terrorist group inDEL raided by police earlier this year) in India, but the deliberate targeting of foreigners is something very new. I know my Indian friends will be absolutely apalled that such a thing could happen. Indians take great pride in being welcoming hosts, and BOM has always been a place where, as a foreigner, one felt very safe.

Pete

Archived