Beautiful view of earth

Mitch Cronin

Here's an APOD image of Saturn taken from within it's shadow (Saturn has eclipsed the Sun) by the Cassini spacecraft (from an APOD of Oct. 16, 2006)...

The tiny little dot to the left of Saturn, just outside the brightest rings there.... That's us. cool.gif

user posted image

From Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" speech:

"On that dot everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human-being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joy and suffering thousands of confident and mutually exclusive religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love every mother and father, every hopeful child, every inventor and explorer, every revered teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot."

Sagan's piece is certainly thought provoking stuff Mitch. I can imagine the Astronauts that saw Earth from as far away as the moon feeling the same way. I am a bit puzzled by the image though, is the orb on the rings a loupe to give an enlarged view? I have not gone through the site to see if there is any comment on the image but if you have found anything on it I would be curious to hear it.

Great site.

Stuff like that always reminds me of a presentation we attended at the Dow Planetarium in Montreal.

At one point, the presentator mentionned "Before you step on that (insert favorite critter/insect name), look up in the sky, over your head, and see if there's a bigger foot coming down on you...".

I always try to remind myself that some of the stars we still see at night have long disappeared...

We only have 40 years, or so, of productive life on this universally tiny grain of sand we call earth, and we try to change everything.

Thanks for giving me the time to think about that again, Mitch!

Mitch,

I hold Carl Sagan responsible for my lifelong fascination with science, technology, and aviation. I see his legacy as I glance over my shoulder at my decades old physics, chemistry, and, geology textbooks.

I've recently aquired Cosmos DVD's, and I appreciate different things about the series now than I did in 1981. He had an admiration for all the scientists and explorers before him, in particular, the ones who had the courage to press on when their discoveries conflicted with the conventional wisdom of the time. For them this somtimes meant ridicule, exile, or death.

We owe much to them.

Archived