Canadian Immigration

Trader

Guest rattler
Because the Government of Canada accepted them,

Perhaps but did the Government tell them that their foreign certification was going to be accepted or was that promise perhaps made by an Immigration Broker?

Of course a fix is perhaps coming :

Immigration, today released details of consultations on Canada’s immigration priorities, following the passage of changes to Canada’s immigration legislation under Budget Bill C-50.

The new immigration law gives the Minister the authority to issue instructions on which categories of applications are prioritized, returned with a refund or held for future consideration.

The new law is intended to stop the growth of the backlog of applicants so that, ultimately, people who want to come to Canada receive a decision within 6 to 12 months instead of the 6 years it can take now. The new law also more closely aligns Canada’s immigration system with labour shortages so that immigrants who come to Canada will have more opportunities to find employment in their chosen fields.

The consultations will focus on identifying critical occupational shortages, the role of immigration in responding to them, and any barriers to foreign credential accreditation.

http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?ar...9&categoryid=16

I think the single greatest problem these people face is that many of those working in human resources roles are incompetent and simply don't have the skills to recognize what isn't obvious to them. The "HR Professional" has been replaced with the "HR Generalist" who is little more than a receptionist who reads resumes submitted by staffing agencies.

We hire immigrants and we haven't hired a loser yet, one of the best people we have hired in years is a russian guy who has hooked us up with a couple other russians - we never would have found them without him.

And as protectionist as some professions are, the ultimate truth is what is taught in the professional faculties in universities the world over really isn't that different. And in the developing world the standards to get into university can be much higher than in the west as there are fewer places.

Super 80 ...that may be true in some cases. However there are enough 'other' cases to make me worry.

Two that I know of first hand:

1. Economist magazine had a good article about university education in India. The quote that sticks out in my head, from an Indian, was that 75% of the graduates were unfir to work in India never mind the rest of the world.

My wife, taking a high level course in finance, was astounded when her partner (Indian) told her that at her university 35% was considered a pass.

2. I have 5 friends who teach/taught in the Middle East. ALL of them were told to pass students based on the students family status or for other reason (bribes). They had no choice. 4 have since left and gone back to the England or Canada. It happened at 3 different universities. Only one is left, teaching the MBA program, and he will be leaving this year. In their own words - the degrees are meaningless.

Living in the ME and seeing how things work there NONE of it suprises me!!! But, if I was an employer, there are certain parts of the world that I would be shy to hire from or, at the very least, vet out the credentials and true ability of the applicant.

Archived