Unidentified Aircraft

J.O.

I'm pretty sure it's a Viscount as well. One giveaway is the main entry door.

But it does kinda look like it could be a Blue Angel - maybe that's why the paint job? In fact it was more a Blue Albatross.

Didn't Air Canada used to run one of these in close formation behind the Vanguards with spare parts? laugh.gif

My first trip on an airliner was in an Air Canada Viscount when I was four yrs old. It is the most vivid memory from my early childhood and probably planted the first seed of interest in aviation for me. The one in the picture is from the album art on Pink Floyd's Echoes compilation CD. I believe it was their first tour aircraft from the 60's.

J.O.,

I see you have the same music interests as I do, with your recent acquisition of the Pulse DVD and being in possession of the Echoes compilation CD.

Seeing David Gilmour and Rick Wright perform Echoes live at Massey Hall a few months ago is something I'll never forget - laser lights, and the works. cool26.gif A DVD of Gilmour's recent concert series is due out hopefully by the end of the year - can't wait! biggrin.gif

Hey FG:

Yes we must have the same tastes, but it seems you have a tad more luck than I. I am truly jealous, and you have no idea how hard I tried to get tickets to that Gilmour show! I even considered buying from a scalper until I heard the going rate. I guess I'll have to look forward to the DVD. I understand they recorded the Toronto shows because the Massey Hall acoustics were expected to be among the best on the tour.

Did you go to the Roger Waters show last week? I heard that it was also a very respectable show. Unfortunately I had to choose between that one and Eric Clapton on Sunday and I chose Clapton because my wife is a big fan. Turned out to be an excellent choice, as he was on great form and had an awesome band with him.

If you haven't seen it, pick up a copy of the DVD "The Strat Pack". David Gilmour plays three songs on the very first Fender Stratocaster ever made. It is truly awesome, even if that old axe has a few flat spots on the upper frets. Joe Walsh also does a respectable appearance.

P.S. Check out this video of David's recording studio. It's terrific.

David Gilmour's Recording Studio

A Viscount, fer sure. Not many machines with 4 Rolls Dart engines. (Gotta be the worlds noisiest engine). That goofy 'glued on' cockpit dome makes it obvious too. Back in the 80's, I once played tennis with the charter pilot for Rod Stewart. They used a Viscount outfitted for VIPS. Got to have a look inside. WAAY fancier in the back than it was up front. Gold records laying on the floor. Kinda weird

Hi J.O.,

Thanks very much for the video!!! I hadn't seen that one before.

Didn't make it to the Roger Waters concert last week. Thought about it, but have always leaned more towards Gilmour, rather than Waters. Gilmour just seems to have the greater talent - particularly with his guitar playing. Mind you, the best was when they made music together. I'll never get tired of the classics.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could do it one more time.....? sad.gif I guess we'll have to settle for the replays of Live 8 which I still can't believe they reunited for.....

Thanks again!

Cheers,

FG

Agreed on the relative talent. Gilmour definitely brought Floyd from a cultish pshcyadelic band into the mainstream. I think Roger felt threatened and tried to stifle David's talent. The Wall was Roger's single-minded creation that the rest of the band thought was bollocks. Yes they were wrong and it was a success, but his attitude set the stage for what took place.

If you search on the Google and YouTube video sites, there are several other Pink Floyd / David Gilmour gems. As for another reunion, never say "Never". I still hold out faint hope for another tour. After all, the Eagles were able to bury the hatchet, even though they came to blows in the past!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-30...q=david+gilmour

That one's from the Strat Pack. biggrin.gif

BTW Jeff... "Joe Walsh also does a respectable appearance." dry.gif Respectable?!? ohmy.gif ... I'd say he does a flippin' awesome job of his tunes in that! ...zoned right in!.... "datsa-so-nice!" laugh.gifthumbs_up.gif

I didn't even know who Pink Floyd was until my son won "The Wall" on a radio call-in show. I thought the music was trash...until he asked me to sit down and put on a headset and listen to the entire album with no interruptions..

I did and I was hooked.

I have every CD ever put out by Pink Floyd and love the music.

At the 1000 Islands Festival of the Islands a band had a session player on guitar, named Wendell Ferguson...man... can he play a guitar. Little did I know that he is a Canadian and has one many Canadian awards for his pick'in and some of his songs...another great Canadian.

Archived