50% scale Zero ...with a sad end :(

Ouch. You have to feel bad for the guy, doing his progressively higher speed runs prior to taking off, giving himself a chance to get a feel for the machine before taking it flying. I'll bet he does a full control check before every flight now.

It goes to show how tough it is to overcome the instinctive reaction of applying opposite aileron when a wing drops. It makes me appreciate even more the ability of the LH A320 Captain when the wiring to the his sidestick had been reversed during a component change. His ability to react as he did and transfer control to the F/O was impressive indeed.

Handyman... you do know that was a remote controlled airplane don't you? (I didn't say so, sorry, but I thought it was obvious)... Or were you referring to the hit to his pride?

I read elsewhere that it was powered by a 250cc motor of some sort... but ya, didn't sound very scale-like, did it...

I've seen people do exactly that (never happened to me yet, ...touch wood! was taught to do a control "up-check" many moons ago... - stick left = left aileron up etc...) ...and most end almost exactly like that... but I have seen a couple that have recognized the problem very quickly and reverted to rudder to control until they're down again... I agree JO...that takes a very quick mind! ... impressive, no matter the size of the bird, but obviously especially fortunate that LH captain was so quick to grasp the nature of his problem!

Handyman... you do know that was a remote controlled airplane don't you? (I didn't say so, sorry, but I thought it was obvious)... Or were you referring to the hit to his pride?

I read elsewhere that it was powered by a 250cc motor of some sort... but ya, didn't sound very scale-like, did it...

I've seen people do exactly that (never happened to me yet, ...touch wood! was taught to do a control "up-check" many moons ago... - stick left = left aileron up etc...) ...and most end almost exactly like that... but I have seen a couple that have recognized the problem very quickly and reverted to rudder to control until they're down again... I agree JO...that takes a very quick mind! ... impressive, no matter the size of the bird, but obviously especially fortunate that LH captain was so quick to grasp the nature of his problem!

No I didn't know that but thanks. Biggest RC I've ever seen not controlled by the military. wink.gif

fortunate that LH captain was so quick to grasp the nature of his problem!

As I recall, it wasn't the Captain that grasped the nature of the problem. It was the F/O, and he took control.

Mitch:

It was quite possibly a chainsaw motor adapted for the application. I have seen Chainsaw motors as well as Weed Eater motors used.

Personally I am still looking for a 4 cylinder opposed 4 stroke for my 182. Not sure it will ever fly. $$$$$$$$

B

Handyman,

In Canada, yes... I think 40 pounds empty weight (I can't be sure of that number without a hunt, but that's in the ball park) ...and I'm pretty sure the U.S. has similar restrictions... elsewhere... I have no idea??

Boestar... I've seen many a chainsaw motor or weed whacker motor in RC aircraft (I have 2 of the little things here at home), but 250cc? Do chainsaw's get that big?

Archived