The Strat Pack

Mitch Cronin

I've just been watching (and listening!) to a dvd of a concert in England done for the 50th anniversary of Leo Fender's creation, the Stratocaster guitar... it features some really great guitar stuff, from great guys like David Gilmour, Joe Walsh, Albert Lee, Brian May, Hank Marvin, Gary Moore (he does a really fine job of Hendrix's Red House!), Paul Rodgers...etc...

What I'm wondering is who's the drummer that plays along with all of these guys for the whole thing!? (I don't have the original case for the dvd) He's absolutely tireless, and aside from one sort of hiccup moment with Joe Walsh (that's actually pretty funny), he does a perfect job!

Anyone have the foggiest notion what I'm talking about?.....

... I'll be pickin' along at my own version of Paul Rodgers' "Muddy Water Blues" here and check back in a bit t'see if anyone knows.... wink.gif

PS...for anyone who's seen this, wouldn't you love to have been able to unplug Ron Wood during that last "all star" bit? tongue.gif

An updated documentary will be out on DVD to accompany the concert we produced for Fender featuring David Gilmore, Joe Walsh, Hank Marvin, Theresa Anderson, Gary Moore, Albert Lee, Paul Rogers, Ronnie Wood and The Crickets, amongst others. The concert was filmed in high definition at London's Wembley Arena on September 24, 2004, and is entitled "The Strat Pack".

The drummer was IAN THOMAS BAND...also credited on many gigs with BB King.

When I was a kid we would work hours at trying to get that Hank Marvin sound out of our strats. In retrospect I think the problem was more in the difference of the talent level than it was in the equipment. wink.gif The Shadows always had that distinctive sound that differentiated them from everyone else.

The Crickets used strats as did Buddy Holly but it was Jerry Allison on drums that gave them their distinctiveness.

By the way I'm still working on that "teen idol" thing but I have to admit the progress is slow. If that doesn't work out however, there is still that ace in the hole which is that the court case might work out regarding the age 60 retirement rule. Hmmm.. Mind you, it might take me to age 70 just to retrain me. rolleyes.gif

Thanks Kip ... I obviously need to learn to google first, ask later... only if I can't find the answer.

...and thanks for trying Limitlss...

Jeff, there are some not so flippin' hot moments on the dvd, but mostly, I'd say it's well worth having. I've got to return this one to it's owner soon, so I'll be looking for a copy for myself.

Greg, It looks to me like Hank's thing is to almost always wobble the whammy bar (or tremolo bar I guess the oldtimers would call it) a bit (don't think it ever left his hand), plus a really clean sound - no overdrive at all.

Cheers all...

Hi Mitch

We used the whammy bar and would get some echo from those old spring echo add-ons that were available without too great an expense, but Hank and the Shads just seemed to get a sound that was hard to obtain.

I remember Chad Allen and the Reflections came to Edmonton in the summer of 64 and they were doing a lot of the Shadows music. They managed to come close to it, but mind you, that was the group who later became known as "The Guess Who". smile.gif

I have an old video of dire straits playing live where Hank Marvin joins Mark Knopfler onstage. Mr. Knopfler who is not exactly crap on the guitar says something to the effect that no matter how hard he tries he just can't quite get Hank's sound. blink.gif

The rest of us mortals may aswell quit now!

Mitch: I'm glad you liked Gary Moore's performance, he is the main reason I started playing and I grew up about 5 miles from his home and even ran into him once. One day he pulled up in his car and asked directions. Of course star struck fool that I was I sent him off in totally wrong direction after making some idiotic comment about having all his records!!

GDR:

Line 6 makes a modelling amp (heresy, I know), that recreates both a VOX AC15 and a VOX AC30 Top Boost quite well. It has onboard spring reverb and a dynamite little delay unit. That and some good old finger-style should get ya close.

Not a bad deal for around $700.

MURRAY

Thanks Murray

There are sure a lot of neat toys out there. My latest is a Boss BR-1600 recording studio. I'm trying to figure out how to use it. It's more complcated than the 340. smile.gif

I'll look up those VOX items. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

Greg:

Let me know how the BOSS unit behaves. I've been sniffing around at the BOSS BR900CD. An incredible deal for a burner and a processor with onboard pitch correction.

The amp I'm talking about is the Line 6 Flextone III Plus. MIDI In/Out, XLR outputs (Perfect for the BOSS units), extension cabinet ready. 75 watts stand alone. When you add an extension cab it activates a second 75 watt amp, giving you a 150 watt stereo unit. Four programmable channels on board, up to 36 channels with the optional foot controller.

http://www.line6.com/flextoneiii/

I'm pretty happy with it.

MURRAY

recording studios eh?.... Yikes.... dry.gif ...some of you guys obviously have better luck passing things through your respective "war departments" than I do... I just lost a heated debate over whether or not I need another guitar... I haven't given up yet, but so far, the notion of a Strat for Mitch is not gonna pass... (this damn dvd has made me fall in love with the blasted things! I love the idea of all those different sounds with three pickups... this Washburn I have now only has a single bridge pickup, and though it's a very fine guitar, it's capabilities remain somewhat restricted)....

Hey, maybe I can still dream of a nice big fat profit sharing cheque? laugh.gif

Mitch:

You are an AME. Do what I did. Build your own. Strat and Fender-licensed replacement parts are available anywhere, and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for Texas Special pickups. There are tons of equally good pickups out there for a lot less money. I have a set of Joe Barden style pups on a Tele I just built. They were a third of the cost, and believe me, they cook. Look here: http://store.guitarfetish.com/.

A word of warning, though: Custom building is extremely addictive. Beware young man.

MURRAY

Hi Murray,

I've been kicking that notion around lately... building one, that is... Any mention of adding a pickup to this Washburn has been immediately followed by threats from a friend (my son's guitar teacher) to steal the thing before I got the chance... He says it'd be criminal not to leave it original.... so modifying that doesn't seem so desireable, or likely...

Ebay is awash with guitar bits as well, and a few different building kits that include unfinished neck's and bodies of a Strat style. That same friend just got two of those kits ...he plans to cut them both to fit them together as a double neck. I 'd enjoy building one, but even that would require a protracted struggle with the war dept. ...and there's a bit of a burning lust developing within me for a real Strat cool26.gif (that same sort of lust that continues to smolder for a Porche 911, a '95-'97 style Supra, a '69 - '71 Mopar-mobile, and a big, beatufil hog... but the guitar doesn't seem quite so unattainable tongue.gif )

.... for some odd reason... biggrin.gif I keep hearing Joe Walsh twanging out his Life's been good to me so far in my head now. laugh.gif

Hi Murray

I just started with the BOSS 1600 and so far I like it a lot. I was looking at the 900 but I opted for the 1600. It has more flexibility and if you want to have more than 2 inputs you don't need a mixer, as you do with both the 900 and the 1200.

I don't have a boat, I don't have a plane so this is my retirement toy. It doesn't burn gas or need to be insured. (You can tell that I've been rationalizing this with the better half.) smile.gif I'm not sure why I feel I have to rationalize it here though. cool.gif

You've gotten well beyond me with the other gadgets though. I am a product of the 50's and 60's and all that stuff always kinda strikes me as cheating. By the way, pitch correction is definitely for sissies and not fair. biggrin.gif

I do like to have a little reverb though and it's nice not to have all those springs jangling around in my equipment.

Cheers

Greg

Mitch:

First, here is the rationale you propose to your better half. Repeat after me: "Building this guitar will be an opportunity for my son and I to bond, and to spend some quality time together." Works like a charm.

Seriously though, the kids do get into it. That's why I'm on my third twanger as we speak.

Consider this before buying a "real" Strat:

1.) Unless you're willing to buy at least an American Standard, you ain't getting the quality you think. If you're looking Mexican Strat or Squire, understand that there's way better stuff out there for comparable dollars.

2.) Most, if not all the new Strats are polyurethane finishes, not the nitrocellulose of old. If you're a tone freak, this makes a difference, as polyurethane inhibits the guitar's natural ability to breathe. Also, nitrocellulose yellows as it ages, giving you that awesome vintage, relic look. Unless you're willing to shell out primo dinero for a vintage or Custom Shop Strat, you're stuck with poly.

3.) Fender pickups. I have a personal problem here. Texas Specials are awesome but overpriced. Not only that, but the cheaper Strats have virtually zippo in terms of cavity shielding. You get major howling when you play in switch positions 2 or 4. The problem is, there is no in between. Either you get gouged for something like the Specials, or you buy the Fender "noiseless", or Lace Sensors, both of which effectively defeat the ability to produce a true single coil sound.

When you custom build, you call the shots. Your schedule, your budget, your components. I'll never buy another guitar off the rack. Don't even get me started on guitar finishing, as that is an addiction in its own league.

GDR:

I respect your purist views. I, as a pagan, am more than comfortable to shroud my limited talent with the veil of technology.

Seriously though, the XLR outputs are just a convenient way to get your sound directly to the BOSS, without interference. Getting that Shure 57 right on the sweet spot is true art, though.

Archived