Just fired up the beast!

"Motor heads" and folks who just plain love machinery might relate to this...

Our 20ft "Thundercraft" boat has been sitting in our garage for almost two years now... I might have mentioned some time back that we were busy with other things last year, so she stayed "winterized" through the entire year... Well, we're not going anywhere this summer, so if we can afford a tank or two of petrol for the dear lady, she's going out on the water sometime in the not too distant future...

She's got a "350 Magnum" for a power plant (350 cu. in. V8 - a GM motor that Mercruiser adapts for use in a boat and adds some tricks to for a bit of extra power), and I winterized it well back in the fall of 2003... I'd thought I might have a struggle convincing her to run after sitting so long... maybe some varnish in the carb, ...maybe some trouble with batteries... who knows?... But .... ohmy.gif

.... .... .... .... What a sweet sound! biggrin.gif

Kip, ya salty ol' sea dog... You just might get some company somewhere out on the lakes this year. thumbs_up.gif

Cpdude... the prop's just a generic stainless model. I won't run aluminum because of what happens when you so much as rub some wood at idle, and I can't seem to find the cash for anything fancy.

Seeker, Ok smile.gif here... I just took these :

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers, coffee.gif

sniff..... sad.gif We are stuck in port for another couple of days...the rear bearing of the transmission, (starboard engine), decided it wanted an extra 5 days in port.

Should be fixed by Monday.........yeh the sound of a 350 is sweet but the sound of twin 350s is even sweeter...especially with "straight throughs" biggrin.gif

Off to NYC and should be back in 1000 Islands in late Aug. I have my onboard email gizmo so will keep you in the loop...perhaps you can drag your boat to Gan and we can go skiing !!! laugh.gif

that brings back memories, my grandfather had one just like that, used to take me fishing all the time. When fish were out of season, he would, when I wasn't looking take a store bought salmon or what-not and toss it in on his line and let me reel it in.

Cpdude... the prop's just a generic stainless model. I won't run aluminum because of what happens when you so much as rub some wood at idle, and I can't seem to find the cash for anything fancy.

Great looking boat Mitch...as for the prop...you have it backwards. A stainless prop is stiff and won't flex with speed or when you hit a rock and thus will transfer the impact to your leg...ouch!. A factory supplied alluminium prop will flex and therefore you lose a few knots top speed but save your leg if you have a prop strike. If you can find a nice 4 blade stainless or even a 5 blade High Five prop from mercury the performance improvement is very nice. wink.gif

Hiya Kip... sorry to hear about your boat's "other plans"... at least you had the port engine to get you back to a safe harbour! (ETOPS rated? wink.gif )

Here's something for you:

user posted image

biggrin.gif ....only, I can close them when I like and let the exhaust port through the prop for quiet running... It a trick called "Silent Choice", involving a pair of "Y" pipes and actuators to divert the flow with the flick of a switch... You get a wee bit less power in the "silent" mode, but it's better than annoying anyone within earshot who doesn't happen to share our love for the sound of V8 power. smile.gif

(this having access to a digital camera is cool! I must remember to thank my son!)

Once again... you'll be elsewhere during my vacation slot. sad.gif I'm off for the last half of July and the first part of August ... But maybe there'll be some days off toward the end of August that could work?.... I wouldn't mind towing the beastie up your way at all... Who knows, maybe Mikey would join us? (he lives about half way there)

Cheers, to you and the Missus, and best of luck with Dun Flyin' for the rest of your cruise!

Mitch

Cpdude... Thanks for the prop tip... I'll keep my eyes out for such a thing...

When I bought the boat it came with two aluminum props... the one that worked best was destroyed while idling through the Lindsay river, in the middle of the channel, when we bumped a sunken log or some other bit of non floating wooden debris... I'm sure it wasn't rock as there was no sound involved other than a slight and muffled thud... and as I said, we were right in the middle! The prop was instantly pretzelled.

Most of the boating we do is somewhere in the lakes of the Trent-Severn system, usually Lake Simcoe... Rocks are usually on the charts, and I use 'em... Wood however... sad.gif ...can find it's way anywhere. Stainless props can take wood, sand, and even some gravel without much damage, if any... whereas aluminum gives too easily. If I manage to destroy the leg somehow, I'll just have to convince my wife that's the best opportunity to get one of them fancy "Bravo 2" outdrive's. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

Here's something for you:

[biggrin.gif ....only, I can close them when I like and let the exhaust port through the prop for quiet running... It a trick called "Silent Choice",

Ah yes...the "silent choice". I don't have that option, just 4 straight throughs. Thankfully I have "grandfathered rights" as to the noise, in accordance with CCG regs.

At slow speed, manouvering, it is a pleasant sound, but up at 3000 RPM it is pretty rocky. Boat ready tonight...going-going-gone.......will email you during the summer.

Guest rattler

If you bust your leg and want to try something different, you might want to go with "counter rotating props". This worked well on the wet coast in tidal waters full of logs and other debris.

Archived