Photo of T-Rex...sorry, no cows

Kip Powick

Photo TWO

The main airport at Banda Aceh on Indonesia's battered Sumatra island was closed for several hours today after a relief plane hit a cow, collapsing its left undercarriage.

The accident hampered the world's efforts to get aid to survivors of the earthquake-powered tsunami that devastated the region and left nearly 150,000 dead.

Rushing aid to anyone still alive has proved a nightmare, with roads and sea jetties washed away. Access by air was the only way in. But with the closure of the small airport in Banda Aceh, the main city on the island's northern tip, it was left to helicopters, mainly based on navy vessels anchored offshore, to drop food parcels.

The airport, which used to handle about three flights a day, has been swamped with round-the-clock traffic, with dozens of aircraft hauling in water, biscuits and medicine.

It remained closed until authorities got heavy equipment to move the Boeing 737 cargo plane that hit the cow after landing. No one was hurt in the accident, which will not affect helicopter flights.

Kinda looks like the old Royal paint scheme. Did they have freighters??

Royal did indeed have at least one -200 with a cargo door but I believe that it went to Air North and is still pounding around the west.

Kinda looks like the old Royal paint scheme. Did they have freighters??

Yes they did. The aircraft in the photo is ex C-FJLT. It used to be operated by Canair, Jetall, Royal, and C3. I don't think Air North has any B737s with a cargo door, just the 2 pax versions.

If memory serves JLT was never at Canair, it was brought into Canada by Jetall after conversion to full freighter. By the time Jetall went under I think Canair had been taken over by Royal.

I used to travel on JLT when I flew the Metro at Jetall. I think Jetall' s other -200 freighter ended up being convered to a combi for a mining company.

As far as Air North are their machines not the ex Royal/C3/Canjet 737 that were parked in Edmonton at the Muni for a long time, I htink they are both ex US Air machines originaly

Regards

Guest rattler

Mark C-FJLT Serial No 20206

Common Name Boeing Model 737-2A9C

Base Of Op. - Country CANADA

Base Of Op. - Province Ontario

Base Of Op. - Location Toronto (Lbpia)

File Location Ontario

Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate

Type of Registration Commercial

Category Aeroplane Weight (Kgs) 53071

Manufacturer The Boeing Company

Year of Manufacture 1970 Year Imported 1993

Country of Manufacture U.S.A.

Certificate of Registration Cancelled Registration Cancelled 1997-10-14

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 1996-05-27 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 1996-05-27

Engine Turbo Fan Number of Engines 2

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Canair Cargo Ltd. Mail Recipient Yes

Address 2450 Derry Road E., Hangar #2, Suite 20

City Mississauga Province Ontario

Postal Code L5S 1B2 Region Ontario

As far as Air North are their machines not the ex Royal/C3/Canjet 737 that were parked in Edmonton at the Muni for a long time, I htink they are both ex US Air machines originaly

Regards

Air North operates C-GNAU (ex USair N228US) and C-FJLB (ex USair N233US). cool.gif

Thanks ACYYC

Well I can't keep track of every registration in my head, I never flew the 737 at Jetall, just jumpseated from time to time, so the registration rang a bell of being one of Jetalls machines.

As far as the Air North machines, were they not operated by a Canadian carrier prior to Air North? What happened to the 737 that were parked at YXD far ages?

Since you seem to have access to the history of all these aircraft could you do me a favor and check what the registrations were of the tow Jetall 737s? Jsut curious.

On another note amazing how aircraft get around, some will spend their entire service life with one carrier prior to being cut up and others seem to get around the block a fair amount.

Regards

Airports Buckle Under Relief Pressure

The massive incoming relief efforts in South/Southeast Asia continue to strain the air resources of the affected regions, leading to bottlenecks in the relief supply chain. Under continued pressure is the airport in Colombo, while the airport in the toughest-hit community -- Indonesia's Banda Aceh -- was closed to crucial fixed-wing flights for hours after a cargo jet hit a cow on the runway.

Media reports indicate that an Indonesian TRI-MG Airlines Boeing 737 freighter early this morning hit a cow after landing at the Banda Aceh air strip. The left side of the aircraft reportedly collapsed, incapacitating the airport to fixed-wing relief flights for 15 hours. The airport, used to 2-3 flights a day, reportedly had been receiving flights every 90 seconds and the accident backed up traffic. Special equipment was reportedly brought in from Singapore to clear the damaged aircraft from the runway.

Meanwhile, Agence France Presse reports that Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport briefly ran out of jet fuel Sunday, under the strain of handling relief cargo flights that doubled the airport's usual traffic. Fuel was restored within hours but Colombo continues to strain under the pressure and some relief flights -- including the four Russian heavy-lift cargo flights needed for a Canadian military emergency response station -- have had to be delayed by as much as days due to airport capacity limitations.

In addition to the regular cargo facilities at Colombo, an under-construction passenger terminal has been pressed into service as a cargo warehouse and disused areas of the tarmac cleared to make room for cargo planes. SriLankan Airlines says that its airport staff have been working around the clock to clear the tons of aid already flown into Colombo by the national carrier, other scheduled airlines, and charter operators from all parts of the world.

Large backlogs of cargo await shipment at airports in Bangkok, Singapore, Dubai and London and the airline is making efforts to bring this to Colombo as soon as possible. SriLankan Airlines has waived all handling charges for relief cargo in Colombo and is providing free cargo carriage on its aircraft. In addition, the company is pressing its two Russian-built Antonov An-12 cargo aircraft into domestic cargo ferrying service.

The airlines’ ticket offices and telephone sales departments are working 24 hours a day, to provide assistance to visitors affected by the catastrophe, many of whom have lost of their travel documents. Working with local embassies, such passengers are accepted for travel without tickets once their original arrival into the country can be established.

SriLankan Airlines has launched it’s own internal relief operation, by calling upon the resources of its country managers and general sales agents worldwide to mobilize relief aid in their respective territories. Assistance is already flowing in the way of dry rations, milk powder, water and medical supplies. Cash donations, including a day’s wages from all of it’s over 4,000 staff is already flowing into the fund.

Other continued airline relief contributions include:

Virgin Atlantic Airways operated a relief flight, in coordination with Oxfam and the Sri Lankan government, taking bottled water supplies to Sri Lanka. 250 shelter boxes also are being taken to India onboard Virgin Atlantic’s flights to Delhi. The company will be raising funds through passenger donations aboard its flights, which it estimates will generate about £30,000 a month. Company founder and Chairman Sir Richard Branson is making a £50,000 donation to the disaster relief efforts.

China Southern has taken both of its Boeing 747-400 freighters off-line from their standard Europe/China and U.S./China routes and has pushed them into emergency airlift duty to Colombo and Medan (Indonesia). The company has operated at least three relief flights to-date.

KLM has donated cargo capacity to a Dutch relief organization, facilitating the carriage of 20,000 kg of supplies aboard KLM Cargo's scheduled flight to Singapore, which will make a special stop at Sumatra's Medan Airport. Additional flights are being considered.

From Jan. 5, through Jan. 9, Swiss International Air Lines will donate €6.50 for every online booking. In addition, 10 percent of the January revenue from duty-free sales on board Swiss flights will go to a Swiss relief organization. Swiss also will make cargo space available free of charge for organizations such as the Red Cross and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.

Royal Brunei is donating $15-30 from every ticket purchased online to the relief effort.

Wizz Air is donating €1, for each ticket sold over a seven-day period to the International Red Cross.

Thanks ACYYC

Well I can't keep track of every registration in my head, I never flew the 737 at Jetall, just jumpseated from time to time, so the registration rang a bell of being one of Jetalls machines.

As far as the Air North machines, were they not operated by a Canadian carrier prior to Air North? What happened to the 737 that were parked at YXD far ages?

Since you seem to have access to the history of all these aircraft could you do me a favor and check what the registrations were of the tow Jetall 737s? Jsut curious.

On another note amazing how aircraft get around, some will spend their entire service life with one carrier prior to being cut up and others seem to get around the block a fair amount.

Regards

The one was C-FJLT and the other was C-GJLN, which now flies for Noranda Mines in Quebec. cool.gif

Guest Cargodawg

I believe that JLT was sold to Transmile in the far east somewhere around July 2002 ... To Singapore going to TRI MG airlines.

8000nm journey to the east. YQB->YEG->Fairbanks->Petropevlosk RUS->Osaka->Koshoeing->Singapore.

NAP/NAQ were the two convertible aircraft flying pax by day, cargo by night.

CDG/DCC were from GCAS I believe. One finished it's service in YYT and has since been scrapped.

DPW was ex CAIL Cargo I think, and was around for a while.

Not too many -200 freighters out there in service.

Once had the slogan "The On Time Machine" on it, but lot's of nicknames were out there for JLT which seemed to have it's share of maintenance related issues. "Junky Little Tramp" was one that comes to mind...

Anyhow, had to dig through the archieves a bit, but here is what MK Air had mocked up for the bird.

user posted image

60N30W:

JLT was in CanAir's fleet for a few months before Royal took over the 737s. I flew it four times, and the trims settings changed from one day to the next more than any other airplane I've ever flown. I can't imagine that a collision with a water buffalo will do anything to improve that particular trait!

Thanks J.O.

Interesting to hear what happened to all the old Jetall machines, I was there the day things shut down and flew that SA226 with the TNT paint scheme to YYZ for the trustee. I think some of the SA227 ended up with ALTA Flights in Edmonton. I have no idea what happened to the CV580s, after Jetall went under I went to KFC to fly the Convair there. One of the Air Niagara CV580 was cut up, maybe the other ended up with Nolinor, I am not sure. Any ideas on the Convair Freighters?

I was through Miami a couple weeks ago and I saw a 737-200 Freighter parked there, I think it had Amerijet titles on it.

Regards

No pictures, but I heard the airport maintenance staff had a nice barbecue!

Reminds me of the time I hit a rabbit (big Hare) landing at JFK. Now there would be a fun thread...what is the stragest thing you have ever hit with an airplane?

Regard

Guest stones

I had a lot of long nights in JLT coupled with the sun coming up over the prairies for the return home. Wasn't JLT the the sister ship to the aloha convertible?

Reminds me of the time I hit a rabbit (big Hare) landing at JFK. Now there would be a fun thread...what is the stragest thing you have ever hit with an airplane?

When I was posted to CFB Shearwater, there was a deer decapitated by a departing CF-5. There was indeed a bar-b-que that day, I believe at the Firehall.

Guest Cargodawg

Stones

Ya, I was always advised it was the "sister" ship to the "convertible" Aloha model.

Would love to know how many cycles are on the aircraft now. I remember maintenance telling me years back the high cycle count on JLT and can only imagine it's racked up some a good chunk more in Asia over the last few years.

Archived