Us and WestJet Part I

Kip Powick

Awesome pics, Kip. They give some small comfort while I'm freezing my arse off here in Guelph blink.gif (thank God for the new big screen cool26.gif ). It sure looks like you and Scuba 02 had a good time. I'm curious to know how the resort made out in the hurricane season. I recall that one of the big ones passed virtually directly over CYO. How'd it look there?

Jeff

All the resorts in Cayo Largo re-opened in the middle of November. We were at the SOL CLUB, the closest to the marina and you would not even know it got hit. In fact there is little evidence of the hurricane passing close to the island EXCEPT that the beaches took a severe beating.

The BARCELO, the newest resort and the furthest from the marina has no beach. It was totally erroded away and the steps to the beach are closed. The PELICANO has a very small beach now, it was one resort up from ours.

We had a full beach as the the damage at the SOL CLUB was minimal.

There were a lot of unhappy campers at the Barcelo and the resort did its best to satisfy the patrons by putting them on a small train affair and it took the 7km run to Playa Serenia beach about twice a day. The resorts, including ours, would pack a lunch for all that wanted it but you lost out on the "free" bar and great washrooms etc back at your resort.

If it was extremely windy, the Palya Serenia beach was the place to spend a few hours....acres and acres of pristine sand as well as full nudity in the remote areas ..Arrrggghhhhh cool26.gif "Don't look Ethel !!!"

We were originally booked at the Barcelo but changed in November as I didn't travel all that way to be restricted to hopping a train with a box lunch everyday just to go to a beach. We rented a jeep and looked in at all the resorts and by far the SOL CLUB was the best.

If you get a chance to go...do the SOL CLUB I guarantee you will not be sorry...

Not sure if Cayo Largo is rated as a secondary airport but we were subjected to the same Pasport/Tourist Visa card as we have subjected to at every airport I have ever landed at in Cuba.

If you are wondering about Yanks......I have seen many fly into Canada, take a pkg tour from a Canadian distributer and fly down to Cuba. One thing about Cuba...they don't stamp your passport.

Archived