Jazz union reps care to comment on this ?

Guest acj

Repost from below: This has got to be the rumour of the week.

"""""Just got off the phone with a friend at HQ. There is a huge buzz in YUL. It would seem that a deal to sell JAZZ, in a much diminshed form, has been signed with a Canadian investor and a couple of U.S. partners. It doesn't look good. Jazz out west is dead. The smaller communities are going to be served by a tier 3 (not sure who, probably Pacific Coastal or CMA). Out east Jazz will concentrate on its YYZ and transborder routes. (sounds like they will keep a mix of some CL65's and DH8's) In the maritimes it is nothing short of carnage. The whole maritime operation is going to be contracted out to the guys currently running the SAAB 340's!!!! This makes no sense to me. The maritime operation always made money, the planes were always full and they did a great job out there.

The new investor is only interested in a much smaller central Canadian operation. Here we go again. Massive layoff's and upheaval at the connector. Does anyone have the number of pilots based out west and in the maritimes and Quebec? It sounds like those jobs are going to tier III. So it would seem the jobs aren't really disappearing people will just have to work for the new carrier for much much less. I think the Quebec operation was going to be contracted out to Val Air. I have never heard of this company. Does anyone have details?

Labtec """"

Not a union rep but . . . . .

Could be true . Could be totally false.

In some ways it could make sense to concentrate your investment dollars in the YYZ area. But then again, given the right circumstances there is an opportunity to make money - lots of it - west of the lakehead.

Perhaps these sort of rumors are being circulated just to see union leader's responses. Or lack of response.

After all you can tell a lot about a man's character by watching what he does under stress.

Guest just my opinion

Where would we be without a good rumour? Reading posts on this site is for pure entertainment purposes only. I find many of the regular posters very interesting! The best one's are from those posters that are factual,informative and add a bit of humour to what can be a very stressful industry to work in. My favourite is the guy that loves DC-10's so much...I wish I could have that much passion about a piece of metal.

Guest Nova Zemlya

"Just got off the phone"

Means- -I am going to hook you in with this-

Look, I started that rumour right after the merge, and boy oh boy has it ever got out of hand!

Ask yourself this: why would the company want to destroy their own market share by giving to tier III what they have been trying to wrestle back from them?

Nothing is going to happen until an investor is selected and exit financing is agreed upon. Then, because Bombardier sold its financing unit to GE (the likely investor in AC,) they will sign a deal and the aircraft will be sold to the Star Alliance.

Arbitrator appoints the flying.

One thing is for certain about the F/A's union, is that their appointee is not in the least bit certain of the status of layoffs and how many are coming. The company has stickhandled past the union on this subject without even lifting a finger on the matter.

Exactly how many on layoff? How many to come? If the airline is showing growth, why on earth is there a need for layoffs? How many months(years) has the company been relying on paying out overtime instead of using reserve F/A's?

Does this dilbert comic remind you of anyone specific on the union side?

http://www.comics.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20030828.html

:[

NZ

A piece of metal?... !! ?? !

A long while back, when I was just a green and eager recent graduate from a community college, I arrived at Wardair and was put to work immediately in the attic of a DC10, trying to eliminate a condensation problem that saw nicotine stained water dribbling out of the ceiling panels... Not good for passengers. It was horrible work. Hot, sweaty, dusty, sticky... I thought I'd always hate the bloody things from that day on. That was my first experience with a DC10 C check.

Soon I got involved with replacing some of the flight control cables on the beast. There's miles of that stuff on those airplanes, and fiddling with it all isn't anything like fixing a throttle cable on your Volkswagon. After a while I saw, and messed with, every inch of the animals; every cable, every hydraulic line, every fuel line, every piece of the pneumatic systems, and that flippin' engine, way up yonder stuck inside the middle of the fin. What a place to put an engine! A few thousand pounds of wicked technology, tightly wrapped and stuffed up above the horizontal stabilizer, with "handy access" provided by crawling through a hole in the aft belly, past the apu bleed duct (often hot and screaming), unlocking a set of doors and cranking out the "patio", which provided a sitting place to then crank the fan cowls open with a speed handle so you could suffer and sweat with whatever it was that needed to be done up there.

Over the years I lost so much skin and so much sweat and so much blood on those airplanes I began to think of them as a part of me... And I started loving it. Finally, after what seemed like eons of nurturing those beasts, someone at Canadian decided it was time to give me the endorsement course, and I learned all about what makes them live and breathe... I'd worked on all of our other birds too of course, developing a love for the 747 classics (my first endorsement) and the A310's (second), but those poor old dears that everyone else at Canadian seemed to want to run away from, the DC10's seemed to have something special for me.... I could do things that no one else wanted to do, probably only because no one else wanted to do it.

And then... someone evidently lost their marbles and decided it was time to let me sit in the left seat for runs and taxi the things around the field.... You can't give a kid like me a better toy to play with! 3 sticks, 3 big round things, each producing 62 thousand pounds of thrust.. what a blast! Bringing the bird to the gate in the morning: "Toronto Ground, Charlie Papa Hotel's a DC10 on yankee goin' to T3... "Charlie Papa Hotel, after that dash 8 on short final goes by, expedite down 24 left to charlie 2... (heh heh heh....) "OK, we'll expedite"... YeeeHaaw! What a gas! That kind of thing gave me such a grin that no matter what I'd been doing all night, I'd go home feeling like the luckiest guy on earth.

I started thinking of them as my airplanes. People would ask me how things worked, and what could cause ...-fill in the blank - ...I'm no expert, and I often didn't know the answer, but I knew how to find the answer... and I had a hell of a good time puzzling over the really weird snags. Things like stiff throttles and pokey ac packs and reverers that didn't work were old hat, but there was always something new and weird and meaty and interesting to figure out... and even the commonly snagged stuff would always throw a new wrinkle in.

The best part of all of it came after suffering through a night of pure misery, seeing and hearing the great old, clumsy-on-the-ground looking, powerful looking behemoths, make that distinct CF6-50-many-decibel-buzz-saw-in-triplicate sound, and head down the runway with a heap full of hapless mothers and uncles and kids and business dudes and 3 guys up front, all of whom knew nothing of the blood, sweat and skin I'd left on board, and aim for the wild blue or grey yonder... And I knew she was able because I'd done something right.

There was a lot more there than a piece of metal. One hell of a lot more. There was me and my compadres, the folks that designed them. the folks that built them, the folks that flew them, the many millions of folks that got to where they were going with a smile on their face... and well worth mentioning, the 184 people who lived to tell their tale of United Flight 232, along with, sadly, the 112 that didn't... the cargo door and the collapsed floor...

Can all of that be reduced to "a piece of metal"? I don't think it's right, but I guess that's only because I spent 15 years intimately involved with, and thoroughly enrapt in those beautiful birds.

When they left us, a wonderful lady who now works in flight ops gave me a gift I'll treasure 'til my last day... (because, she said, I'd "had the balls" to write a snag in the computer lamenting their loss) a 25 ft. long mylar manufacturers scale drawing of the fuselage... I had a hard time fighting off the tears when she did that.

Yessir, I love'em, and theyr'e an awesome piece of metal! :D

Hey V

This guy is a certified, feeder hatin, bitter, whacked out, arrogant, concieted, pompous Ar**hole surpluss mainliner . Did I mention he is a feeder hater. It's all crap. Not even high grade.

I do have it on the highest authority tho that certified feeder hatin, bitter, whacked out, arrogant, concieted,pompous, Ar**hole, surplus mainliners will be removed (surgically if neccesary) from the organisation prior to emergence from CCAA.

Take that to the bank

Guest PortTack

"This guy is a certified, feeder hatin, bitter, whacked out, arrogant, concieted, pompous Ar**hole"

>I'll back you up on that part of the quote.<

I also have it on good authority that Jazz will be aquiring the Concords too with the Tier III soon to operate B777's on the YOP route.

However I don't really care if Labtec is from mainline, Zip or Jazz, we all have our own sh&t disturbers.;)

So much love for an Airplane!!Its amazing how we can get attached to the airplanes we fix.I just wish I was able to express myself as elequently as you do Mitch!!!

Cheers

Lupin

Now if you took the wings off the bottom, and put them on top where they belong, took the engine out of the tail added another one to it, and put them under the wings, move the gear into the fuselage, mount the horizontal stab on top of the vertical one, and shrunk the crap out of it, you'd have an airplane (and probably nightmares) :D (B)

Brett

Heck Brett, I've said enough to defend the old dears... All you need to do is lay your eyes on them from the back end.. from far back enough that you can see the whole machine ... Ya see that? Can you see it?There's nothing that needs to be done! She's complete. A total flying machine, just as she is.

Beers to you. ;)

....sigh... Brett, I've said enough about the poor old darlin's... I expect I've made everybody sick of hearing of my demented love affair...

But all you need to do is stand at the back of one of 'em, far enough back that you can get the whole beast in your frame of vision, and you can see she's a total flying machine. Nothing needs changing... She's complete, just as she is.

Beers to you ;)

Thank you for eloquently putting your feelings into words.I'm not sure how many people feel the same way about their particular profession but perhaps they should take the time to reflect on why or what they are doing and decide if it still brings them satisfaction.Do they look forward going to work, or would they rather be somewhere else.No doubt about it,most of us in the business take a lot of things for granted and in a perfect world, things could be a hell of a lot better, but I still look forward to going to work and take pride in what I do. By the way my girlfriend was a WD f/a, loved the 10 and enjoyed your thoughts as well.Keep up the good work! Cheers

Archived