Has any one heard this!

Guest bug smasher

Guest bug smasher

At the end of sept AC is closing down for 3 days. Too emerge as an international carrier under a new name. Planned massive layoffs throught Canada.

Skuttlebutt around is that the mother ship is in far worse shape than advertised (if that is possible) and that probability of a successful emergence from the CCAA is doubtful.

But that could be just wishful thinking considering the source.

What do you mean by "closing down"? I just had my secretary book 16 seats on AC at the very end of this month, 10 Intra-Canada and the others to Europe. They didn't mention anything about this "closing down".

What do you mean by "closing down"? I just had my secretary book 16 seats yesterday on AC for travel at the very end of this month, 10 Intra-Canada and the others to Europe. They didn't mention anything about this "closing down".

That rumour has been circulating for quite a while now, and seems to get bigger each time it is spread.

I think the reason it started is that someone misinterpreted the fact that sometime in September (or shortly thereafter) the share price will be diluted due to the massive number of new shares being issued to the creditors. As such, I would assume the shares will stop trading for a day or two. Along with this stoppage in trading of shares will come some major announcements of the restructured airline. At no time will the airline shut down.

I just got a look at the new advertising campaign that is being shot this week in Montreal. Pretty nifty. If the airline were planning on shutting down for a few days this advertising campaign certainly doesn't fit.

Maybe Dagger could expand further on the share dilution that I alluded to above...I am not an expert in that field.

But take it from me...bet the house on it...the rumour is FALSE.

As an addendum to my above post, Air Canada will not be re-emerging as a soley international carrier. They are obligated to maintain a strong domestic network in order to stay in the STAR ALLIANCE. This is a condition of membership. Air Canada is not leaving STAR.

Another reason why your rumour is false.

Stone

ps...I can give you another big reason why the rumour is false, but I fear that would let quite a large announcement that is forthcoming out of the bag.

Guest Nova Zemlya

In answer to the question about AC shares:

They will stop trading on or about the 19th of September as part of the financial plan once exit financing is finalized. Then new shares will be issued to the creditors who are currently scrapping over ownership of the debt.

If you are holding AC stock sell them and with what's left, buy this stock instead: CRU-T Crew Resources :)

Ok, you don't have to buy shares in Crew Resources :)

If you are holding short interest in AC shares, then you MUST settle prior to this date or the day which has been determined for the trading stop. You cannot settle a short interest in a stock if the stock is not trading.

imo, a stock being delisted is a very strong message to sell it or settle right now.

:[

NZ

Interesting rumour, but I doubt that would happen.

I also read on another website the fact that all 737-200 Zip aircraft will be retired, with Zip moving to some present A319's in Air Canada's fleet. Tango aircraft will be modified and will become Air Canada Jetz. Tango aircraft will be no more.

Any truth to this? If you want I can search for the post and post it in here.. Also in the post are the days the aircraft are being retired or returned to lessors.

I was told Zip is done Nov 1st 2003 when the 37s are retired, this is because Jazz has a buyer with condition that Zip be terminated.

So like I said, pick the rumour you like and go with it :D

No, it is not.

I could never proclaim outright pleasure in the suffering of others, and their families, as so many have done on this forum over the past year.

As I read the many posts that reveled in AC's financial trouble, and the up-beat talk of its demise. Seemingly mostly from WJ and Jazz posters. I would think of the end of C3, and the many good people (Roy/C3/CJet) that were out of work. Friends of mine. Friends that had no part in creating the mess, but were plummeted into a terrifying situation.

Could I wish that upon another group of thousands of people? No. Not because I have some sort of moral superiority, just that I am not a piece of human excrement.

No need to sugar coat it. That's what these people are. Anyone who can sit behind their computer and laugh at others who are in danger of losing their jobs and the support that they give their families, is one of the lowest forms of life in our society. Unfortunately there seems to be a number of these characters here on this forum.

I have not read this forum for some time because, to be totally honest, some of the people/posts here have sickened me to the very core. They have made me feel ashamed to be part of the Canadian aviation industry. I don't say that lightly, or for dramatics. It is true.

It is sad to see that the past antics of the infamous WJ employee, "Danny Dog", have not made the lasting impression "how not to be a human being".

So if anyone disagrees (I don't care), or as is so often the case on this form, wants to post some "hate" at me, ask yourself this. As you write a post here on the AEF, or make loud statements at the bar, etc, etc, could you look that unknown employee in the face as his family stand beside him, and tell him you can't wait for him to lose his job? If you can, you are a piece of excrement, and there should be no pity for you. If you can't, you are most likely a decent human being, and have gotten far to carried away.

No, it is not.

I could never proclaim outright pleasure in the suffering of others, and their families, as so many have done on this forum over the past year.

As I read the many posts that reveled in AC's financial trouble, and the up-beat talk of its demise. Seemingly mostly from WJ and Jazz posters. I would think of the stop of C3, and the many good people (Roy/C3/CJet) that were out of work. Friends of mine. Friends that had no part in creating the mess, but were plummeted into a terrifying situation.

Could I wish that upon another group of thousands of people? No. Not because I have some sort of moral superiority, just that I am not a piece of human excrement.

No need to sugar coat it. That's what these people are. Anyone who can sit behind their computer and laugh at others who are in danger of losing their jobs and the support that they give their families, is one of the lowest forms of life in our society. Unfortunately there seems to be a number of these characters here on this forum.

I have not read this forum for some time because, to be totally honest, some of the people/posts here have sickened me to the very core. They have made me feel ashamed to be part of the Canadian aviation industry. I don't say that lightly, or for dramatics. It is true.

It is sad to see that the past antics of the infamous WJ employee, "Danny Dog", have not made the lasting impression "how not to be a human being".

So if anyone disagrees (I don't care), or as is so often the case on this form, wants to post some "hate" at me, ask yourself this. As you write a post here on the AEF, or make loud statements at the bar, etc, etc, could you look that unknown employee in the face as his family stand beside him, and tell him you can't wait for him to lose his job? If you can, you are a piece of excrement, and there should be no pity for you. If you can't, you are most likely a decent human being, and have gotten far to carried away.

40west,

I agree with much of what you just said, but I think you've perhaps attributed the trash from a very few, to more... There were a few gloating swines around when things got rough, sounding as they they were going to pee their pants in glee, but really it was only a few, and I don't think any of them were WJ employees... Though I don't know for sure...

Often it seems the criticisms that come to this forum seem to be based on generalizations that, if one were to spend a bit of time looking, they'd find only apply to a few trash talkers. And to hell with them!

The vast majority here would agree with you regarding the feelings toward lives and families being thrown in upheaval, including most, if not all, of those from WJ who post here nowadays. Of that, I am confident.

Cheers,

Mitch

Well, some do, and they call this Schadenfreude, which is the pleasure covertly taken from adverse developments.

Schadenfreude comes from the German, from Schaden, "damage" +

Freude, "joy." It is often capitalized, as it is in German.

Never liked the word. Never liked the practice,

Hey Brett

Here's another. Heard that AC renewed the leases on a number of 737's. Were offered a price they couldn't refuse I guess. So maybe they found a buyer for Zip and the condition is that Jazz be whacked.

That would probably make the mid atlantic guy above here happy :)

Archived