Westjet Training?

Guest JW

Not at all.

I'd like to hear the response from Westjet pilots or management at WJ. Have pilots at WJ been receiving subsidies from HDRC for training and/or type ratings?

JW

Guest b52er

No subsidies. Whether you have an endorsement or not, each new hire undergoes initial training on the 200 or 700 at WJ's expense.

Guest CabinDweller

The bloody link didn’t work. It was a smiley-face in full armour.

Intended as tongue-in-cheek, you know some will take delight in degrading this conversation.

I’m curious too.

B52er says “no”, what did you hear?

Dean

Ps. e-malin’ ya

Are you saying that Westjet has not funnelled any pilots through the HDRC, or their Techsult agency, for pilot training? Are you qualified to make that statement on behalf of Westjet?

Are you qualified to make an blanket statement to the effect that Westjet has not funnelled any pilots for training, through HDRC or their Techsult agency?

Are you qualified to make an blanket statement to the effect that Westjet has not funnelled any pilots for training, through HRDC or their Techsult agency?

b52er, you said >>No subsidies. Whether you have an endorsement or not, each new hire undergoes initial training on the 200 or 700 at WJ's expense.<<

Are you qualified to make an blanket statement to the effect that Westjet has not funnelled any pilots for training, through HRDC or their Techsult agency?

Guest CJRT

If you're going to respond in a judicial tone maybe the question is better left to be asked of someone who can answer the question in the way you are looking for. Try calling the HRDC or Westjet HR. Obviously no one here is "qualified" to answer...or maybe you were just trying to cast the hook and bait ;)

JW -

What is HDRC? What is Techsult? (Sorry for the naivete!)

I've been in the WJ training department for over 4 years. We've always done all of our own training, if that's what you mean. No contract trainers.

And b52er is right: we always give the full meal deal (ab initio training from start to finish) for each and every candidate, regardless of whether they were flying a 37 the day before they came to WestJet.

I don't know anything about who picks up the tab - but I have no reason to assume it's anyone other than WJ. After all, they're the ones that have been signing my cheques for all the work I've done in the sim over the years.

Hope this helps,

T9

From what little I know of HRDC's practices, this is a matter that is handled privately between an individual on UI (or is it EI now) and a potential employer. The future employer has to indicate to HRDC that they will hire an employee only if the costs of training that employee are covered elsewhere.

So, unless you believe that the person in WestJet who would sign such a letter is a poster, or that someone who has actually made this work for them now wants to upset the applecart by giving out the information, this might not turn up anything.

The posters below who comment that every new hire gets the same course are, of course, correct because that is the only training TC has approved. It is the cost of that training that HRDC would fund, if they indeed funded anything, so each classmate would be unable to detect how the others' courses were arranged.

I guess my next question has got to be, "and what if they did?" What would your next move be?

BTW I don't work at WestJet and HRDC hasn't funded my training.

Should be an interesting dicsussion, though.

Cheers

Vs

JW, WestJet recieves no funding for training.

All training is and always has been at the companies expence.

CJRT you said >>Try calling the HRDC...<<

The question has been asked of HRDC by pilots about to be furloughed from AC.

I was asking to attempt to verify the information from Techsult, and thought that pilots from WJ might respond directly about that program.

...just my opinion.

JW

Guest TORON1

Yes HRDC does indeed help out, ask Jane Stewart where the $1B went. It was to help WestJet with their pilot training costs.

It is also common knowledge that JetsGo gets the $30-$40k from HRDC for the new trainees as they are on layoff status.

CanJet gets the same deal, but not Air Canada, they have to foot the bill them selves which is one reason why they are in such dire staits!!

>>Are you implying that furloughed AC pilots think they will be hired by Westjet?<<

No.

Where did I leave you with that impression?

Is there any reason that furloughed AC pilots would be, or should be, specifically excluded from Westjet though? ...since you've brought that up.

JW

Jim: If the Canada 3000 experience with HRDC funding is any example, you will get as many different answers to your question as there are Techsult or equivalent offices.

It was a disaster. ALPA let us down big time by not going straight to the Minister and orchestrating a national response to the C3 situation.

More if you want...

Guest Sanders

I'd like to try that MUSHROOM soup you seem to be enjoying......soooo not true....good try though! (B)

As far as I know there is no monies paid to WJ for training by any body. All cost as incured by the collective employee group(profit sharing). AC types are considered along with all other applicants with no predjiduce(SP). We are looking for attitude and skill. I wish all luck in there present situation.

Grant

Archived