New fares a revolution?

dagger

Lost in AC's fare annoucement today is that the cheapest domestic fares are now sold only online. Only "freedom" - the new Full Y - and J Class can be bought over the phone, or so it would seem. Not even Westjet or the other discounters is that web-dependent. If you want a web fare and aren't computer literate, you will have to go to a travel agent and probably pay a fee.

That begs the question: If they roll this out eventually to the US and intercontinentally, and they will, how many CAW jobs does this make redundant? Thousands? You can assume some call centre staff are needed to process changes, to process Y and J bookings, and for the time being to handle US and international discount inventory. It isn't clear to me yet whether the so-called econo or flash fares will be web-only, but the key fare - FUN, which is the minimally restricted discount fare analogous to WJ, Canjet and Jetsgo fare type - is web-only.

I can't think of another airline which has put such an important part of its inventory into an Internet-only mode.

Guest Starman

In a sea of questionable initiatives over the past few years, I think that this one will stand out as the best pro-active decision to create a business plan that works for the benefit of customers and stakeholders alike. With the exception of those displaced by technological change, of course, but that was bound to happen anyway.

While it seems on the surface that only computer literate people will be able to take advantage of some of these fares, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people (especially anyone thinking of getting into the big silver bird that growls and disappears off the edge of the earth) at least KNOW someone who is computer literate and can accomplish this for them at no cost.

At some point in the past, I'm sure that there was a newly introduced system out there that seemed to all but exclude anyone without a telephone. Then there was the touch tone imposition and self-serve gas ...

As humans, we adapt, it seems.

Archived