War Criticism Misguided. <i>-Cheney</i>

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Guest regional for life

But the fact remains, who would you rather have in power? Sadam or Tommy Franks.

Why is it that the anti-US, anti-invasion activists can't come out and say that things are better today than they were yesterday for the Iraqis.

I do love the spin they can put on though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crack a history book some day would you.

You can start by looking under the entry for the Philipines. After that you might want to browse over to Cuba and Mexico. Then you might want to go and review why "54'40" or fight!" became such a popular election phrase at one time. Had that one come true you'd be wearing red, white and blue underwear at the moment as a result of your Manifest Destiny.

"Had that one come true you'd be wearing red, white and blue underwear at the moment as a result of your Manifest Destiny."

Ah yes, if only we could go back. On the other hand and according to a yank on TV last night, had it not been for G. Washington they'd all be wearing maple leaves today.

Now, who's better off?

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

You must be kidding. Have you ever read the words to the Marine Corps Hymn? Teddy Roosevelt led his Rough Riders on a famous charge up a hill, guess where it was? Oliver Hazard Perry won renown for leading his Black Ships into a bay, name the country? The British ordered Dewey out of Hong Kong the day after America declared war on which country? He then attacked where? Finally, Margaret Mead wrote a book about which islands? Hint: A_______ Samoa.

Still think America's never taken and held foreign soil?

Guest Rob Assaf

"Then you might want to go and review why "54'40" or fight!"

'Cause they're a bitching band, gotta se'em live.

Cheers, Rob

Guest Wilber

A report from a Brit correspondent today said that along with looting government buildings, the Iraqi's were paying particular attention to UN facilities. It seems that their opinion of the UN is similar to Bush's.

Guest terrier

I am a European Canadian. What's wrong with that? I wasn't told that I would be a second class citizen without right to express an opinion when I took the oath. Another example of the arrogance on this forum.

I don't hate it here at all. I love it I just happen to think the a great country deserves a great "national" airline and Canada sure doesn't have that. As for my fellow employees - a lovely bunch. I don't work for AC see?

Guest M. McRae

I remain antiwar but the folks that were killed in Iraq were either shooting back or as does happen in war, in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't believe that anyone would think that the US / British forces deliberately killed innocents. In fact it appears that they worked very hard to avoid that and put their own selves into peril to do so.

Negative BP. If the USA had not defended this flakey free-riding country over the last 50 years I would be wearing the hammer&sickle and drinking cheap vodka and smoking expensive cigars with the comrades.
Thank you America!

Guest terrier

Exactly, and once one side has won it is probably best in the pursuit of longevity to change sides. That was the point I was making. That they might not be celebrating because they are glad to be "liberated" but simply because having been "liberated" they had better be seen to be enjoying it.

PS Thanks for explaining what war means. Don't know what the readers of this forum would do without your encylopaedic knowledge to put them right.

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Sorry, terrier, I can't agree with the gun-to-head-better-pretend senario. Did you read that Iraqi man's quote? Hundreds of them don't just jump for joy in the street pretending - they are more likely to stay inside and hide from the horrible invaders if that's what they truly thought of the Americans. Soon they will have food-a-plenty, water, and yes, oil-a-flowing which will improve the current economic catastrophe in Iraq.

IMO,

Geek.......

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Sorry, terrier, I can't agree with the gun-to-head-better-pretend scenario. Did you read that Iraqi man's quote, Iraqis lining up to shake the hands of soldiers, give them flowers, and kiss their cheeks? And did you see the citizens of Baghdad on TV trying to demolish Saddam's statue before the troops even arrived?

Hundreds of them don't just jump for joy in the street, and ride around on the decapitated head of their former leader's sculptured statue ‘pretending’ to be happy do they? They are more likely to stay inside and hide from the horrible invaders if that's what they truly thought of the Americans.

Soon they will have food-a-plenty, water, and yes oil-a-flowing, which will improve the economic catastrophe Iraqis are currently faced with.

IMO,

Geek.......

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Sorry, terrier, I can't agree with the gun-to-head-better-pretend scenario. Did you read that Iraqi man's quote saying in all of his 49 years he lives for the first time? And did you see the Iraqis lining up to shake the hands of soldiers, give them flowers, and kiss their cheeks on television? And did you see the citizens of Baghdad on TV trying to demolish Saddam's statue before the troops even arrived?

Hundreds of them don't just jump for joy in the street, and ride around on the decapitated head of their former leader's 40' statue ‘pretending’ to be happy do they? They are more likely to stay inside and hide from the horrible invaders if that's what they truly thought of the Americans.

Soon they will have food-a-plenty, water, and yes oil-a-flowing, which will improve the economic catastrophe Iraqis are currently faced with.

IMO,

Geek.......

I saw a guy interviewed yesterday who said he had had his ears cut off because he refused to fight when they invaded Kuwait. Do you think he cut his own ears off so the Americans would think he was happy to see them? ;)

...and did you see the fellow that was so overcome with gratitude that he wrapped a big 'thank you' note around his waist and gave the checkpoint soldiers an such appreciative group hug?

Terrier, If what you are suggesting had any merritt at all, history would prove you right. Just take a look at films from WWII and look at the response of the local populus when the Nazis occupied them. No dancing, flowers, kissing, handshakes, etc.. The same can be witnessed in films documenting the Soviets occupying Hungary or Czechoslovakia. There is a huge difference between occupation and liberation, the Iraqi people know exactly what they experiencing.
What you are seeing is genuine and I am happy for them.

G3

Archived