Wages for unskilled workers

Guest M. McRae

Malcolm, you said,

“My posting was because I thought that those who put down another group should know a little more about what they are about before doing so.”

I could not agree with you more. I am very confident that if you search my posts, you will clearly find a very respectful tone towards ALL the people I work with, regardless of position or status, I have advocated the importance of TEAM, many times here on the AEF.

I also believe in calling a spade a spade.

Thanks for the chat, I’ll have a quick look at the link

cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest M. McRae

From the transport canada regulations:

Section 12.3 - Information to Pilot-in-Command

A dedicated form for the Notification to Pilot-in-Command (NOTOC) continues to be required.

The NOTOC is normally generated by the Warehouse, to the Load Agent and then to the cockpit.

Guest M. McRae

Yes, there were a number of AVIs that changed to dead during flight due to non compliance with procedures and because vents were left open rather than closed or VV. Not funny if you were the one who had to explain what happened to the customer, pet owner or to Transport Canada / Ag Canada during their investigation.

Guest M. McRae

Thx for the info. Here is what Transport Canada has to say about the NOTOC with a footnote provided by me. I imagine the AC doc. has been blessed to act as the NOTOC but I remain curious as the NOTOC requires that the flight deck sign it off, I guess your equiv. has the same requirement?
From the transport canada regulations:

Section 12.3 - Information to Pilot-in-Command

A dedicated form for the Notification to Pilot-in-Command (NOTOC) continues to be required.

The NOTOC is normally generated by the Warehouse, then goes to Weight and Balance and then to the loading crew and lastly to the cockpit.

No, you missed it... This was referring to the pictures of live and dead animals on the disk. And the writing was just entries in the computer from rampies supervisors..... ok sorry, never mind... Killing animals by accident is never funny.

All correct, the lead signs for content, size, location and leaking/packaging. After that, DGA submitted to captain for examination, concurrence verified with his acceptance.

Thanks for the info, always nice to hear about what’s going on elsewhere in the AC world.

cheers

Guest M. McRae

Mitch I understood the joke. I was just attempting to underscore the importance of following procedures when it comes to AVI.
However the handling does illustrate the importance of all in the chain. Assuming that the mechanics have corrected any aircraft system deficiencies then the cargo agents accepts the AVI and in the case of commercial shipments works the numbers to make sure that the quantity to be carried is not in excess of the capability of the aircraft to support during the flight, the information is recorded on the NOTOC so that the weight and balance folks can make sure the correct hold is selected for the load, then the ramp folks get the info and ensure that the loading is in accordance with the loading instructions, at some point someone determines that the temp selection for the hold is correct and then the flight deck does the final signoff. Flight deck then (theory says), if the temp can be varied, monitors the hold temp. during flight and adjusts as needed. On ground stops someone is responsible to monitor the hold and either keep it closed (as much as possible) in sub zero temps. or make sure that it is vented or supplied with conditioned air in warm climes. Quite a chain eh! And no part of the chain is more important than the other, at least to the health and safety of the AVIs.

Guest M. McRae

Not sure if the comment re the AC world applies. Never was an employee of AC but spent 34+ years in the industry and have lots of friends who are still working in the industry. Appreciate your replies. Rgds Malcolm

the 767 cargo heat is a momentary switch, with the bulk cargo actually being an electric heater type fan with a built in thermostat to regulate temp to a preset limit,not sure as to whatthat temp is.

Guest M. McRae

Work????? Please refresh my memory...... Retired you know.... but there are still not enough hours in the day to accomplish what I want / need to do. :)

I am very confident that if you search my posts, you will clearly find a very respectful tone towards ALL the people I work with, regardless of position or status, I have advocated the importance of TEAM, many times here on the AEF.

Re: $19.21/hr Max
Posted By: dragon
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003, at 6:05:05 PM
In Response To: Re: $19.21/hr Max (M. McRae)

DG qualified? Pilots get DG training in one day, they have the FINAL responsibility, I would think another 3 or 4 days would finish up the fine print.

Computers? My six year old nephew could figure out a ‘fill in the blanks AWB’ while rippin and burnin a CD.

AVI. Don’t know what that is.

Load bearing? It’s on a graph Malcolm. We did load bearing on the Dash 8, it was a morning course.

You ARE kidding? Thanks for re-affirming for me the extensive training required to be a load agent, consider me educated.

I had a long post to try and explain what goes on in Cargo, but I just deleted it. Your mind is closed. Chances are you will get your wish and I will be getting a pay cut.

Best of luck to you during the turmoil ahead.

That post was not in response to Malcolm, rather ACAV. His post was responded to with the same spirit it was delivered, so please keep searching.

My mind is wide open, regardless of your assumption. In a prior life, I worked in a small community station where P’dub flew the 37 into Northbound and again southbound. Myself and the colleagues there did ALL the jobs. We marshalled, fuelled loaded the bags, drove the lift truck, and the DG we certified, did the WB, de-iced, and marshalled out again. So you see, anything you’ve done, I’ve been exposed to, there is no huge mystery.

For the record CA, I do respect your position and the responsibilities that position encompasses, please do not miss my point.

Ps, you are not original PW are you, with a glorious collection of photos of the worlds AC?

That post was not in response to Malcolm, rather ACAV. His post was responded to with the same spirit it was delivered, so please keep searching.

My mind is wide open CA, regardless of your assumption. In a prior life, I worked in a small community station where P’dub flew the 37 into Northbound and again southbound. We worked outside, in a place with 10 months of winter, sustained temperatures lower that the coldest day in Toronto ever, darkness, blowing wind, no benefits, and all that for about $10 bucks an hour.[saved enough to learn to fly] Myself and the colleagues there did ALL the jobs. We marshalled, fuelled loaded the bags, drove the lift truck, and the DG we certified, did the WB, de-iced, and marshalled out again, the only thing we did’nt do was AWB and ticketing. So you see, anything you’ve done, I’ve been exposed to, there is no huge mystery.

For the record CA, I do respect your position and the responsibilities that position encompasses, please do not miss my point.

Ps, long shot but you are not original PW are you, with a glorious collection of photos of the worlds AC?

Dragon, I don't know about CA...but I'm ex P'dub.
You're wage referances are severely out of whack.
I worked in a position (Stores) that was pegged to the Station Attendant wage scale. True it was $10.00 an hour at one time, but that was when you could get a house in Richmond for 67,500.

Times & prices have changed.

Ok...I guess that I just didn't catch the contract part. Not the first time I've missed something.

The one part of the cost equation,regarding contracting out, that people seem to forget is the profit that the contractor is making on the deal. It's pretty obvious that PWA wasn't paying the 10 bucks an hour for the work. Same for WestJet / Hudson General today. Even with a 20% profit margin, that would bring Westjet's ramp labour costs pretty close to AC's.

Regards

Ok...I guess that I just didn't catch the contract part. Not the first time I've missed something.

The one part of the cost equation,regarding contracting out, that people seem to forget is the profit that the contractor is making on the deal. It's pretty obvious that PWA wasn't paying the 10 bucks an hour for the work. Same for WestJet / Hudson General today. Even with a 20% profit margin, that would bring Westjet's hourly costs pretty close to AC's.

Regards

Archived