World wide Aircraft Maintenance Engineer shortage and it's implications

An amazing video highlighting the difficulties the manufacturers and Airlines are experiencing concerning AMEs and aerospace workers.

It's worth the watch. From my understanding, the creator is a pilot and creates much aviation related videos.

38 minutes ago, mrlupin said:

An amazing video highlighting the difficulties the manufacturers and Airlines are experiencing concerning AMEs and aerospace workers.

It's worth the watch. From my understanding, the creator is a pilot and creates much aviation related videos.

This guys does a lot of great videos.  It truly is scary whats going on in our industry

It makes what is happening at WJ all the more serious at least from a Canadian perspective. We are about to vote on our first collective agreement. I've seen the tentative agreement and in my opinion if it's voted in favour it will only worsen the situation at WJ. With that being said I think it will be voted down in very large numbers. 

It's a very small pay increase (no where near inflation) with a bunch of moving money around that is being played by the company as gains. Smoke and mirrors, all tofu no beef. Any other cliches elude me at the moment but you catch my drift.

For me I am close to retirement but I would like to think that I am rejecting this contract for the young Engineers coming up behind me, For far too long Aircraft Maintenance Engineers have been marginalized and grouped with rampies, cleaners and various other unskilled trades mostly because of the IAM&AW. 

WestJet Engineers are now represented by AMFA, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association which represents only those that are professionally licensed or will be at the conclusion of their apprenticeship. No unskilled labour.

I think mrlupin, Boestar, Conehead and Mitch (If he sees this) would agree that the time has come for us to be recognized as the professionals that we are.

AMFA (amfanational.org)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1