The Mighty C130E

GDR

4 hours ago, GDR said:

My all time favourite airplane. Logged 3400 hours on it with 435 Sqn back when it was still new.

436 (T) Sqn and 426(T) - Instructing on the C-130 ............ total hours  ......3961.2 hours.

It was certainly a fun aircraft to fly. I would compare it to an older  single engine jet as far as maneuverabilty went. Technically we were restricted to 60 degrees of bank but I took students up and showed them that 120 degrees was easily attainable, with the correct airspeed, and light hands on the CW, as well as a very low G rollout.

One day I was in CFS  Alert at -40C and the next day I was in Rio at + 33C , (took a MRP /Mobile Repair Party ), to Rio as 435(T) Sqn C-130 😱 had blown an engine in Rio....

The best story, which is in AEF somewhere, was the race to be the first C-130  pilot to land closest to the North Pole on an ice strip...

Certainly wish I had an iPhone back in those days for all the photos that could have been taken.

3 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Technically we were restricted to 60 degrees of bank but I took students up and showed them that 120 degrees was easily attainable, with the correct airspeed, and light hands on the CW, as well as a very low G rollout.

120 degrees of bank and a very low G rollout?   Seems like those two things don't go together.  Unless you're talking about recovering 3000' below your entry altitude.

1 hour ago, Seeker said:

120 degrees of bank and a very low G rollout?   Seems like those two things don't go together.  Unless you're talking about recovering 3000' below your entry altitude.

Correct 😃 Yes, there is no way to maintain entry altitude, infact it was always commenced in a climbing turn and with power on, and at the apex or turn the power was reduced as the aircrat descended and rolled out, being careful not to  stallor over stress the aircraft......keep the G light.. I think I lost close to 2500 - 3000 feet as the bank decreased    ((didn't want to end up like that B-52))     I guess you could call it a lazy chandelle or if repeated it was a loose, lazy 8, which was always commenced at about 8000 feet over the county out here..

18 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Have always loved this platform, due largely to the flights I was on in 1978 at Namao, AB, filimg LAPES. What a blast!

LAPES was so much fun. I worked in the TAL (Tactical Airlift School) around 1970 and was able to do  some LAPES drops at that time. 

Edited by GDR

16 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

436 (T) Sqn and 426(T) - Instructing on the C-130 ............ total hours  ......3961.2 hours.

It was certainly a fun aircraft to fly. I would compare it to an older  single engine jet as far as maneuverabilty went. Technically we were restricted to 60 degrees of bank but I took students up and showed them that 120 degrees was easily attainable, with the correct airspeed, and light hands on the CW, as well as a very low G rollout.

One day I was in CFS  Alert at -40C and the next day I was in Rio at + 33C , (took a MRP /Mobile Repair Party ), to Rio as 435(T) Sqn C-130 😱 had blown an engine in Rio....

The best story, which is in AEF somewhere, was the race to be the first C-130  pilot to land closest to the North Pole on an ice strip...

Certainly wish I had an iPhone back in those days for all the photos that could have been taken.

The 130 handled so well. Also with the props turning at a constant speed you had pretty much instant power by simply adjusting the pitch. Maybe the best example of aircraft design ever. They are still building them  nearly 70 years later after the first A model came off the line.

Incidentally I got to fly the B models that we had for a short time as we waited  for the E's to arrive but that was just while I was on the OTU and just off the pipeline.