US Navy Bird Strike

GDR

It appeared that the impact was at or near the port side windshield.

In my admitted ignorance, I concluded that the "distraction" resulted in a loss of control at low altitude and the necessity of ejection.

I believe it was an instructional flight but don't think a bird strike would ordinarily result in a "loss of equipment".

Where do I err?

Engine probably quit.....Couldn't make the airfield...Ejection the only option...remember the snowbird

If this was an instructional flight the Instructor was probably in the back seat and when the bird hit, and was ingested in the engine, the engine quit and at that point the aircraft became a brick on a short flight.

image.jpeg

NARRATIVE

4.1. SEQUENCE OF EVENTS

The MAC executed an out-and-out flight from KCRP (Corpus Christi, TX) to KNFW (NAS JRB Fort
Worth) for their first scheduled sortie of the day. Both flights were instrument training sortiess for
MNFS. 

The weather out of KCRP and into KNFW was VMC, and would remain VMC throughout the day. 

BASH was not briefed, but was reported as "MODERATE" at KCRPand "LOW" at KNFW. signed for MA; 
Takeoff out of KCRP and the flight enroute to KNFW was uneventful.

MF flew the HI-TACAN instrument approach for runway 18 at KNFW, followed by a low TACAN
approach for runway 18 at KNFW.  

MA was in a landing configuration (gear down, flaps set to half, and speed brakes out), at 140 KIAS during
the approach. 3.7 NM from the field and 780' AGL, MA flew through a flock of roughly 3-4 birds. 

After impacting the starboard intake, the engine ingested one bird. 

Immediately after bird ingestion, MA experienced a compressor stall, with an engine
overtemp condition occurring approximately 3 seconds after impact. 

MIP announced over ICS "Prepare to eject" to MNFS. 

MA pitched down and impacted the ground into multiple backyards of a residential neighborhood.

Seat/man separation occurred immediately, with both ejection seats landing in adjacent streets of the residential neighborhood. 

MIP was unharmed, MNFS's parachute landed in nearby power lines, resulting in injuries. 

Witnesses of the ejection were able to recover MNFS from his gear, MNFS was transported via helicopter due to the extent of his injuries. No injuries resulted from MA's impact or subsequent fire.

Additionally, post-inspection of the aircraft revealed bird remains, including blood on the
starboard intake, in the engine.