Panic and emergency declared on Air NZ flight as masks drop

Specs

https://crewroom.ca/panic-and-emergency-declared-on-air-nz-flight-as-masks-drop/

As the aircraft fell from 34,000 feet to 27,000 feet, according to a statement from the airline’s chief operational integrity and safety officer Captain David Morgan, oxygen masks were automatically deployed to prevent anticipated turbulence.

So let me make sure I understand this.   Doing what prevents turbulence?

There should be awards for the reporter with the funniest airplane story

Edited by Specs
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Specs said:

There should be awards for the reporter with the funniest airplane story

Yeah, that was pretty bad reporting. Doesn't even mention the aircraft type. Was it an Airbus? As for your question about preventing turbulence, everyone knows about the Weather Radar input to the CIDS system, which will trigger the Turbulence Avoidance function, deploying the O2 masks and playing the "Emergency" message through the cabin audio system, simultaneously taking control of the AFCS and commanding the turbulence avoidance manouvers. This gives the CIDS the authority to climb or descend within an envelope of 10,000ft. I'm happy to see that the Captain continued to allow the flow of O2 to the passenger masks after they had been deployed. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I understand reporting these things is down to a science now.  passengers are sent a PDF fillable form to describe their experience.  So far it appears to have a glitch, all of the drop down choices are 'terrified'....

Vs

I always like "The Airplane fell from XXXX to XXXX feet"  As if it were held up there by the pressurized air in the cabin.

It did not fall.  it was driven there

• Like 1