Report ranks WestJet most punctual airline in Canada

Report ranks WestJet most punctual airline in Canada, Air Canada 20th worldwide

News provided by The Star – link to full story

By The Canadian Press Fri., Jan. 3, 2020

westjet.png?w=1024

A travel data provider ranks WestJet Airlines Ltd. as the most punctual airline in Canada.

OAG’s annual report regarding on-time performance says the Calgary-based carrier placed sixth among low-cost carriers in North America last year.

The report also lists WestJet at No. 15 among low-cost carriers worldwide with 79 per cent of its flights arriving on-time.

air_canada_logo.jpg?w=1024

Air Canada squeaked into the so-called punctuality league, placing 20th among “mega airlines” behind the big four U.S. carriers as well as British Airways, Lufthansa, and Air China.

The report says the Toronto-based airline’s on-time performance was 66 per cent.

Calgary and Edmonton were the only Canadian airports to reach the top 20 for on-time performance, placing 17th and 20th in the large and medium categories, respectively.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 3, 2020.

I would expect a careful statistical analysis of all the airlines in the sample would reveal that being "on-time" is more a function of the airports served than the airline itself.

57 minutes ago, seeker said:

I would expect a careful statistical analysis of all the airlines in the sample would reveal that being "on-time" is more a function of the airports served than the airline itself.

Along with the distance of the flight, my son and his wife flew from MEL to YVR this week and arrived 15mins late after over a 14hour flight.  Shameful? or perhaps just what happens then you fly that amount of time? 

1 minute ago, Marshall said:

Along with the distance of the flight, my son and his wife flew from MEL to YVR this week and arrived 15mins late after over a 14hour flight.  Shameful? or perhaps just what happens then you fly that amount of time? 

On a flight of 14 hours I would think any arrival within an hour of the sked time is good enough.  That's just my opinion and I realize that airlines are routinely capable of better performance but, for me personally, +/- 1 hour and I'd be happy.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:42 PM, Marshall said:

Along with the distance of the flight, my son and his wife flew from MEL to YVR this week and arrived 15mins late after over a 14hour flight.

I'm sure you were glad to have them back home safe. How was it down there?

56 minutes ago, J.O. said:

I'm sure you were glad to have them back home safe. How was it down there?

MEL is  887km south of SYD and there was little effect from the fires, except for some occasional smoke. There were some fires reported in the MEL area but that was not in the city (MEL has an area of 999,000 Hectars and over 4million people in the area)  Further re their flights, their baggage connected both ways through YVR with no problems. Onboard service was good but of course the food was airline quality and that has def. slipped over the years. Prior to AC putting on the Non Stop flight, their journey would have been over LAX, so the AC flight was a def. positive choice.

Archived