Space / Aerospace / Aircraft

The moon may contain more water than previously believed

Ashley Strickland

CNNDigital

Contact

Published Monday, October 26, 2020 12:25PM EDT
Moon Water

The moon may contain more water than previously believed. (Matt Cardy/Getty Images)

There may be more water on the moon than previously believed, and it could be used as a resource during upcoming missions -- like NASA's return of humans to the lunar surface through the Artemis program.

The two studies published in the journal Nature Astronomy, and researchers shared their findings during a NASA press conference on Monday.

The research is based on data gathered by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, in orbit around the moon since June 2009, as well as the agency's Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy airborne telescope, called SOFIA. The latter is a Boeing 747SP aircraft modified to carry a 2.7-meter telescope.

In the first study, researchers used SOFIA to observe the moon at a wavelength that revealed the signature of molecular water, or H2O.

"For the first time, water has been confirmed to be present on the sunlit surface of the moon," said Paul Hertz, NASA's Astrophysics Division director during Monday's press conference.

Previous research revealed detections of water on the surface of the moon near the south pole. But the signature of molecular water at the wavelength used in this research could also be associated with hydroxyl, which is oxygen bonded with hydrogen. In organic chemistry, alcohols tend to include hydroxyl, which contributes to making molecules soluble in water. Hydroxyl is also an ingredient in drain cleaner.

The SOFIA detections confirm that water, not hydroxyl, can be found trapped in glass beads or in between grains on the moon at its high southern latitudes. There, water is present between 100 to 400 parts per million.

The fact that this water is inside grains or in between grains on the lunar surface helps protect it from the moon's harsh and irradiated environment.

In the second study, researchers used data from the lunar orbiter to study cold traps in permanently shadowed areas on the moon where water could remain frozen. Some of these cold traps may have evaded the sun for billions of years.

ICE-FILLED POLAR TRAPS

The most common hidden pockets of water across the lunar surface could be trapped in tiny penny-size ice patches that live in permanent shadows, the researchers discovered.

"If you can imagine standing on the surface of the moon near one of its poles, you would see shadows all over the place," said Paul Hayne, lead study author and assistant professor in the Laboratory of Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado Boulder, in a statement. "Many of those tiny shadows could be full of ice."

After assessing the potential size of the traps, ranging from centimeters to kilometers, the researchers determined that permanently shadowed areas at both of the moon's polar regions could contain a multitude of these "micro" cold traps. In fact, they could be hundreds to thousands of times more abundant than large cold traps.

The moon could contain 15,000 square miles of permanently shadowed traps in a range of sizes that could preserve water ice, the researchers estimated. Previous estimates have put the estimate at about half of that -- at about 7,000 square miles.

"If we're right, water is going to be more accessible for drinking water, for rocket fuel, everything that NASA needs water for," Hayne said.

Previous searches for ice on the moon have been concentrated around the large craters at the poles, where temperatures have been measured as low as negative 405.67 degrees Fahrenheit.

Massive craters close to the lunar south pole include Shackleton Crater, which is several miles deep and about 13 miles across. And most of it is permanently in shadow.

"The temperatures are so low in cold traps that ice would behave like a rock," Hayne said. "If water gets in there, it's not going anywhere for a billion years."

By using data from the lunar orbiter and modeling, the researchers determined that the lunar surface resembles that of a golf ball.

Of course, actual proof of these ice-filled shadowy pockets will require future digging by rovers or humans on the lunar surface.

But future missions to the moon, like landing the first woman and next man near the south lunar pole by 2024 through NASA's Artemis program, could reveal more information.

Ahead of that, Hayne is also leading the Lunar Compact Infrared Imaging System, a NASA effort that will capture heat-sensing panoramic images of the moon's surface near its south pole in 2022.

"Astronauts may not need to go into these deep, dark shadows," Hayne said. "They could walk around and find one that's a meter wide and that might be just as likely to harbor ice."

The Propulsion We're Supplying, It's Electrifying
by Jimi Russell for Glenn News
Cleveland OH (SPX) Oct 23, 2020

An illustration of the PPE-HALO in lunar orbit.image.png.44a69d2655d837314da6543a53ee7864.png

Since the beginning of the space program, people have been captivated by big, powerful rockets-like NASA's Saturn V rocket that sent Apollo to the lunar surface, or the Space Launch System that will produce millions of pounds of thrust as it sends Artemis astronauts back to the Moon.

But what if the most powerful propulsion system in NASA's toolbox produces less than one pound of thrust while reaching speeds of up to 200,000 mph? What if it costs less, carries more, and uses less fuel?

This radical system is in-space electric propulsion. It can reduce the amount of fuel, or propellant, needed by up to 90% compared to chemical propulsion systems, saving millions in launch costs while providing greater mission flexibility.

Newton's Third Law in Space
Chemical propulsion uses a fuel and an oxidizer, converting energy stored in the chemical bonds of the propellants, to produce a short, powerful thrust, or what we see as fire. It's loud and exciting, but not all that efficient.

An electric propulsion system uses energy collected by either solar arrays (solar electric propulsion) or a nuclear reactor (nuclear electric propulsion) to generate thrust, eliminating many of the needs and limitations of storing propellants onboard.

That power is then converted and used to ionize-or positively charge-inert gas propellants like Xenon and Krypton (no, it's not from Superman's home planet). A combination of electric and magnetic fields (Hall effect thruster) or an electrostatic (gridded ion) field then accelerates the ions and pushes them out of the thruster driving the spacecraft to tremendous speeds over time. And instead of fire, its exhaust is a glowing greenish-blue trail, like something straight out of science fiction.

Drag race vs. road trip
A chemical spacecraft is a top fuel dragster as it departs Earth's orbit toward its destination. The initial burst is quite powerful, but it can really only go in the direction it's pointing when you stomp on the gas pedal. The spacecraft is off like a bullet, but after its fuel supply is exhausted, there is little ability to speed up, slow down or change direction. So, the mission is locked into specific launch windows and orbital departure timeframes, and it can make only minimal corrections along the way.

An electric propulsion spacecraft, once it's in space, is out for a cross-country drive, limited only by the gas in the tank. The initial thrust is quite low, but it can continue accelerating for months or even years, and it can also slow down and change direction.

NASA's Dawn mission is a perfect example. After launch, it accelerated toward Vesta in the asteroid belt. Because of the spacecraft's small solar arrays it took over five years to get there, but as it approached, the spacecraft flipped 180-degrees, burned its thrusters to slow down and orbited for a year. When it was done, it fired back up and traveled to Ceres, where it still orbits today. This wouldn't be possible with chemically propelled spacecraft.

Systems like the one on Dawn are in wide use across NASA and the commercial sector, typically operating in the 1-10 kilowatt (kW) range. But as we prepare to use electric propulsion for more complex science and technology missions, and on human missions for the first time, we're going to need more power.

More power for people!
The Power and Propulsion Element (PPE) for Gateway will demonstrate advanced, high-power solar electric propulsion around the Moon. It is a 60kW-class spacecraft, 50 of which can be dedicated to propulsion, making it about four times more powerful than current electric propulsion spacecraft. We do this not by building one big thruster, but by combining several into a string with giant solar arrays.

This advanced system will allow our orbiting platform to support lunar exploration for 15 years given its high fuel economy, and its ability to move while in orbit will allow explorers to land virtually anywhere on the Moon's surface.

While it's a critical piece of our Artemis lunar exploration plans, the PPE will also help drive U.S. commercial investments in higher power electric propulsion systems, like those that could be used to get to Mars.

Next stop, Mars
Future Mars transfer vehicles will need around 400kW-2 megawatts of power to successfully ferry our astronauts or cargo to and from the Red Planet. We're still exploring vehicle and propulsion concepts for Mars, including a combination of nuclear electric and chemical propulsion and other emerging options like Nuclear Thermal Propulsion.

No matter how we get to the Moon and eventually Mars, one thing is for certain... the future of space exploration is exciting, one might even say it's electrifying.

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

Better than  a bucket of pebbles from an asteroid.....benefits all mankind.

Neat and I guess you posted it here because it is a spin off from the aerospace industry?   Or ????????  

If not you will likely get more exposure if you repost it in the Non Aviation forum in Reality 2020.   ?

Thanks for the advice Malcolm.?..I think I will leave it here. As you know I am generally opposed to the waste of funds in this space exploration thing so just pushing a few buttons for readers here ?

Just my opinion but I would be pro space exploration if we, as earth people, had the blue marble up to speed as far as the environment went  but I am rather embarrassed to admit to my grand children that I was, (not any more), of the attitude that things were going well here.

I guess now that the "spurs have been hung up" I have more time to see just how bad this beautiful place has become and shudder when I see billions spent because of the misguided search for "what"? Not only have we done exceptional well in polluting our planet....would you be surprised to know that we still have close to 5000 satellites orbiting this planet. While I agree that some have been very beneficial to mankind, do we really need all that junk up there ??

What can I do?? Well I am going back into flying and, when once again qualified, will put my energy into showing, those that will allow me, just how bad things are and how bad they are going to get unless we spend the $$$$ and get the train back on the tracks.

Sorry for the rant/tangent...☺️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Thanks for the advice Malcolm.?..I think I will leave it here. As you know I am generally opposed to the waste of funds in this space exploration thing so just pushing a few buttons for readers here ?

Just my opinion but I would be pro space exploration if we, as earth people, had the blue marble up to speed as far as the environment went  but I am rather embarrassed to admit to my grand children that I was, (not any more), of the attitude that things were going well here.

I guess now that the "spurs have been hung up" I have more time to see just how bad this beautiful place has become and shudder when I see billions spent because of the misguided search for "what"? Not only have we done exceptional well in polluting our planet....would you be surprised to know that we still have close to 5000 satellites orbiting this planet. While I agree that some have been very beneficial to mankind, do we really need all that junk up there ??

What can I do?? Well I am going back into flying and, when once again qualified, will put my energy into showing, those that will allow me, just how bad things are and how bad they are going to get unless we spend the $$$$ and get the train back on the tracks.

Sorry for the rant/tangent...☺️

Just remember KIP that at one time exploration beyond the limits of the day was thought to be a waste of time. This time around, as then, we are pushed by birthrates and the ability of the planet to handle that,  to look for and find somewhere else we can survive, and that appears to be off this planet.  'We are outgrowing this planet.  Of course another world wide war / pandemic may limit the need to look further for now.  ......   I suspect neither you or I will live long enough to see the final solution but our Grandchildren will and in my opinion their only salvation will be found off "Earth". 

15 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

That’s awesome, and exciting! ?. What sort of flying are you planning?

1 hour ago, conehead said:

That’s awesome, and exciting! ?. What sort of flying are you planning?

Have to wake up the old brain and finish the course...Will post photos of my new aircraft if....and when...... I pass the course. Gonna take me until end of December...??

• Like 1

Deeper job cuts at Boeing as pandemic throttles air travel

38 mins ago

The Canadian Press logoDeeper job cuts at Boeing as pandemic throttles air travel

image.png.ca0f211d841c09aeb86f5197a3f5aa97.png

Boeing said Wednesday that it will cut 7,000 more jobs as it continues to bleed money during a pandemic that has smothered demand for new airline planes.

%7B© Provided by The Canadian Press

The company said that when retirements and other employee departures are included, its workforce will shrink to about 130,000 by the end of next year, or 30,000 fewer people than it had at the start of 2020. Just three months ago, the company figured 19,000 workers would leave.

Boeing Co. outlined the job cuts on the same day it reported a $449 million loss for the third quarter, a swing from the $1.17 billion it earned in the same period last year. The loss was not as bad as feared, however.

Revenue tumbled 29% to $14.14 billion.

Boeing has been whipsawed by falling revenue since its 737 Max was grounded in March 2019 after two deadly crashes, and then a coronavirus pandemic that caused air travel to plunge and left airlines with more planes than they need.

It has been a bruising stretch for one of America’s preeminent manufacturers. Thursday marks the second anniversary of the crash of a Lion Air 737 Max off the coast of Indonesia. Less than five months later, another Max crashed in Ethiopia. In all, 346 people died.

The virus has intensified Boeing's financial troubles.

Air traffic in the U.S. has only recovered to about one-third of pre-pandemic levels, European traffic is similarly depressed, although the picture looks brighter in Asia.

Most experts think it will take airlines three years or longer to make a full recovery. With customers in no mood to buy expensive new planes, Boeing expects to keep burning cash. Chief Financial Officer Greg Smith said the company won’t generate cash until 2022.

The Max was Boeing’s bestselling plane, but now the company has 450 in storage that it can’t deliver. Boeing expects to ship about half of those to customers by the end of 2021, and it may have to find new buyers and reconfigure seating or other features for some, Smith said. The company also has an inventory of about 50 unsold 787s or Dreamliners.

Boeing has spent about two years overhauling flight-control software and computers on the Max, and it continues to expect that regulators will allow it to resume deliveries before the end of the year ends.

Boeing has ambitious plans to ramp up production of the Max. Cowen analyst Cai von Rumohr said that suggests the company believes airlines will still take the plane, or that it is willing to whittle down its inventory more slowly.

Last week Boeing’s biggest customer, Southwest Airlines, said that it is looking at the Airbus A220 jet. Southwest’s fleet consists entirely of Boeing 737s, and the airline was forced to cancel thousands of flights last year because of the Max grounding.

Boeing CEO David Calhoun said Wednesday that Southwest's fleet will be mostly Boeing “for a long time coming ... we hope it stays all Boeing.”

“The Max has cost us a lot of money” and has forced Boeing to borrow “to make up for the fact that we couldn’t ship the world’s most popular airplane,” Calhoun said on CNBC. “We are getting very close I believe to the finish line with respect to certifying the Max and to begin deliveries.”

After paying out $3.1 billion in cash and other compensation to Max owners, Boeing estimates it still owes customers about $6 billion for lost use of their planes.

The company has other challenges. Because of the Max crisis, it has delayed a decision whether to design a new and slightly larger plane — hesitation that could result in ceding part of the airplane market to Airbus and its A321XLR.

Boeing's defence business has remained mostly stable, but even that is not immune to the virus.

“We believe there will be pressure on defence spending as a result of all the COVID-related spending that, of course, governments around the world have been experiencing,” Calhoun said on a call with analysts. “So I don’t think we’re looking at that world through rose-colored glasses.”

The Chicago-based company, which has airplane assembly plants near Seattle and in South Carolina, has borrowed billions of dollars in private credit to get through the downturn, although it bypassed federal pandemic-relief funds. It is giving up office space to save money, and will use company stock — not cash — to cover $4 billion in payments to employee pensions and retirement accounts.

Boeing said that excluding non-repeating gains, it lost $1.39 per share. Wall Street expected a loss of $2.35 per share, according to a FactSet survey. Revenue was lower than expected, however, with the FactSet survey pointing to sales of $14.20 billion.

Shares of Boeing closed Wednesday down $7.10, or 4.6%, at $148.14. They have dropped 54.5% this year, compared with an increase of 1.3% in the Standard & Poor’s 500 index.

David Koenig, The Associated Press

Two Canadian technologies are going to the Moon

LONGUEUIL, QC, Oct. 29, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ – The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) is helping prepare Canada’s space industry for future missions to the Moon. The CSA is awarding $3.3 million in contributions to support the demonstration of two lunar technology payloads and their launch to the Moon.

This is the first time Canada will conduct a technology demonstration in lunar orbit and on the Moon’s surface. It represents a significant step in Canada’s participation in the next chapter of Moon exploration.

The demonstrations are:

• Ontario company Canadensys Aerospace Corporation will develop, launch and test a lightweight and energy-efficient 360° camera that will capture stunning panoramic images of the lunar surface.
  • Quebec-based NGC Aerospace Ltd. will demonstrate a planetary navigation system similar to the GPS technology used on Earth. The system will use features on the surface of the Moon to guide and land a lunar vehicle safely, in a precise location.

These innovative technologies will enable new commercial opportunities and position the Canadian space industry for the future economy created by Moon exploration. The CSA will continue to support Canadian organizations by providing a wide range of opportunities for Canadian science and technology activities in lunar orbit, on the Moon’s surface, and beyond.

“In supporting the Canadian space sector, our Government is committed to the growth and career development of tomorrow’s industry leaders. Not only will this funding put Canada on the Moon, but it will also help strengthen Canada’s R&D capabilities, advance our scientific knowledge, and put Canada in a prime position for further space exploration.”

The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry

Quick facts

• Canadensys Aerospace Corporation is receiving a contribution of $2.49 million.
  • NGC Aerospace Ltd. is receiving a contribution of $840,153.
  • The two technologies will launch to the Moon by April 2024.
  • Funding for these projects stems from the CSA’s Lunar Exploration Accelerator Program (LEAP). LEAP is preparing Canada’s space sector for humanity’s return to the Moon by earmarking $150 million over five years to help small and medium-sized businesses in Canada develop new technologies to be used and tested in lunar orbit and on the Moon’s surface in fields that include artificial intelligence, robotics, and health.
  • The two contributions are the first awarded as part of the LEAP Capability Demonstration Announcement of Opportunity.

Links

Contributions Awarded – Lunar Exploration Accelerator Program (LEAP) 
Canada’s role in lunar exploration
Space Strategy for Canada
Innovation and Skills Plan

Share this:

will there be mining in space? Will this reduce the impact of mining on earth?

A closer look at asteroid estimated to be worth more than Earth's economy

Published Friday, October 30, 2020 1:51PM EDT
16 Psyche

The massive asteroid 16 Psyche is the subject of a new study by SwRI scientist Tracy Becker, who observed the object at ultraviolet wavelengths. (Courtesy of Maxar/ASU/P. Rubin/NASA/JPL-Caltech)

TORONTO -- New images from the Hubble Space Telescope have given scientists a closer look at one of the largest and most intriguing asteroids floating around the solar system – one that is thought to consist of metal estimated to be worth more than the entire global economy.

The gigantic asteroid, called 16 Psyche, is approximately 225 kilometres in diameter and orbits between Jupiter and Mars in the main asteroid belt. It’s of particular interest to scientists because, unlike most other asteroids that are rocky or icy, this one appears to be largely made up of metallic iron and nickel.

According to NASA, 16 Psyche may be the exposed core of an early planet – possibly as large as Mars – that lost its outer layers in violent collisions billions of years ago.

“Through some exciting collisions in its past, the mantle and the crust were stripped away, leaving bare this exposed, metallic core,” Tracy Becker, who led the study to examine the asteroid with the Hubble Space Telescope, told CTVNews.ca.

Becker, a planetary scientist at the Southwest Research Institute in Texas, said that 16 Psyche might have been a protoplanet – a planet that has not yet fully formed – and that by studying it, scientists might be able to learn more about the Earth’s own core.

“If we can study the asteroid, we could potentially learn a little bit about Earth in the sense of having direct access to a planetary core, which we can never do here on Earth is see our own core,” she explained in a telephone interview on Thursday.

While astronomers have known about 16 Psyche’s existence for some years, they had never taken such a close look at it until Becker and her team used the Hubble Space Telescope to observe its surface at ultraviolet (UV) wavelengths.

“The way it reflects light in ultraviolet could tell us, potentially, about its metal content and any other materials that we might see on the surface,” Becker said.

The scientists studied 16 Psyche at two specific points in its rotation in order to view both sides of the asteroid in great detail.

Becker says the telescope scans led to two major findings that were published in The Planetary Science Journal this week.

The first was observing UV light reflecting off 16 Psyche in similar way to how it’s reflected off metallic meteorites or a slab of iron.

“We confirmed that in the UV, it does look like it has metal on the surface,” she said.

However, their second observation called into question just how much metal is actually there. Based on their computer modelling, Becker said they determined that even a small presence of iron could dominate their UV observations.

“You can imagine, just like sprinkling a little bit of iron with other materials, and it would look very kind of iron-like in the way it reflected,” she said. “It doesn’t mean that it isn’t 100 per cent iron, it just means it could be as little as only 10 per cent.”

Despite this inconclusive data, Becker said they discovered that the asteroid actually brightened when they looked at it at deeper UV wavelengths. She said this could be an indication of some sort of “processing” on its surface from solar weathering.

“When we’ve seen this brightening in the deep UV before, it's indicated to us that it could be processing due to things like the solar wind, which are just the charged particles coming from the sun and hitting that surface over the millions or even billions of years that it may have been exposed for,” she said.

While further research is needed, Becker said the processing could provide insight into the age and formation of the asteroid.

Becker said they conducted the study in order to get a better picture of 16 Psyche before NASA sends an unmanned spacecraft on a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket to study the asteroid in 2022.

According to NASA, the “mission’s goal is, among other things, to determine whether Psyche is indeed the core of a planet-size object.”  

Becker said she’s excited to see what the mission uncovers because if 16 Psyche is, indeed, a “big piece of metal,” they’re going to learn a lot about the Earth’s core and how the core of all planets in the solar system are formed.

“Even if it turns out that it's not very in high metal content and it is a little bit more rocky than initially thought, it's still going to tell us a lot about how these kinds of objects can form in the solar system and how they've changed, how they evolved, and how they’ve had collisions and things like that,” she said.

The asteroid’s composition has been a subject of great curiosity among scientists who even estimated its iron contents could be worth $10,000 quadrillion back in 2017. That’s such a big number it’s hard to conceive, but suffice to say it’s substantially larger than the $90 trillion worth of the global economy in 2019.

No matter its worth, Becker said we don’t have the technology to even think about a mission to bring pieces of it back to Earth.

“I think it would cost probably more to get there and get a piece and bring it back then than a small piece might be worth,” she said with a laugh.

“For me, the worth is really in the science that we can get out of studying it.” 

"Fireball" meteorite contains pristine extraterrestrial organic compounds
by Staff Writers
Chicago IL (SPX) Oct 28, 2020

hamburg-meteorite-hg.jpg
The meteorite fragment that fell on Strawberry Lake which contains pristine extraterrestrial organic compounds.

On the night of January 16, 2018, a fireball meteor streaked across the sky over the Midwest and Ontario before landing on a frozen lake in Michigan. Scientists used weather radar to find where the pieces landed and meteorite hunters were able to collect the meteorite quickly, before its chemical makeup got changed by exposure to liquid water. And, as a new paper in Meteoritics and Planetary Science shows, that gave scientists a glimpse of what space rocks are like when they're still in outer space--including a look at pristine organic compounds that could tell us about the origins of life.

"This meteorite is special because it fell onto a frozen lake and was recovered quickly. It was very pristine. We could see the minerals weren't much altered and later found that it contained a rich inventory of extraterrestrial organic compounds," says Philipp Heck, a curator at the Field Museum, associate professor at the University of Chicago, and lead author of the new paper. "These kinds of organic compounds were likely delivered to the early Earth by meteorites and might have contributed to the ingredients of life."

Meteorites, simply put, are space rocks that have fallen to Earth. When things like asteroids collide in outer space, fragments can break off. These pieces of rock, called meteoroids, continue floating through space, and sometimes, their new paths collide with moons or planets. When a meteoroid breaks through the Earth's atmosphere and we can see it as a fireball or shooting star, it's called a meteor. If pieces of that meteor survive the trip through the atmosphere, the bits that actually land on Earth are called meteorites.

When the fireball arrived in Michigan, scientists used NASA's weather radar to track where the pieces went. "Weather radar is meant to detect hail and rain," explains Heck. "These pieces of meteorite fell into that size range, and so weather radar helped show the position and velocity of the meteorite. That meant that we were able to find it very quickly."

Less than two days after it landed, meteorite hunter Robert Ward found the first piece of the meteorite on the frozen surface of Strawberry Lake, near Hamburg, Michigan. Ward worked with Terry Boudreaux to donate the meteorite to the Field Museum, where Heck and Jennika Greer, a graduate student at the Field and the University of Chicago and one of the paper's authors, began to study it.

"When the meteorite arrived at the Field, I spent the entire weekend analyzing it, because I was so excited to find out what kind of meteorite it was and what was in it," says Greer. "With every meteorite that falls, there's a chance that there's something completely new and totally unexpected."

The researchers quickly determined that the meteorite was an H4 chondrite--only 4% of all meteorites falling to Earth these days are of this type. But the real thing that makes the Hamburg meteorite exceptional is because of how quickly it was collected and how well-analyzed it is.

"This meteorite shows a high diversity of organics, in that if somebody was interested in studying organics, this is not normally the type of meteorite that they would ask to look at," says Greer. "But because there was so much excitement surrounding it, everybody wanted to apply their own technique to it, so we have an unusually comprehensive set of data for a single meteorite."

Scientists aren't sure how the organic (carbon-containing) compounds responsible for life on Earth got here; one theory is that they hitched their way here on meteorites. That doesn't mean that the meteorites themselves contain extraterrestrial life; rather, some of the organic compounds that help make up life might have first formed in an asteroid that later fell to Earth. (In short, sorry, we didn't find any aliens.)

"Scientists who study meteorites and space sometimes get asked, do you ever see signs of life? And I always answer, yes, every meteorite is full of life, but terrestrial, Earth life," says Heck. "As soon as the thing lands, it gets covered with microbes and life from Earth. We have meteorites with lichens growing on them. So the fact that this meteorite was collected so quickly after it fell, and that it landed on ice rather than in the dirt, helped keep it cleaner."

The buzz around the meteorite when it landed also helped scientists learn much more about it than many other meteorites of its kind--they used a wide variety of analytical techniques and studied samples from different parts of the meteorite to get a more complete picture of the minerals it contains. "You learn a lot more about a meteorite when you sample different pieces. It's like if you had a supreme pizza, if you only looked at one little section, you might think it was just pepperoni, but there might be mushrooms or peppers somewhere else," says Greer.

"This study is a demonstration of how we can work with specialists around the world to get most out of the small piece of raw, precious piece of rock," says Heck. "When a new meteorite falls onto a frozen lake, maybe even sometime this winter, we'll be ready. And that next fall might be something we have never seen before."

Nov. 3, 2020
MEDIA ADVISORY M20-121

NASA TV Coverage Set for First Crew Rotation Flight on US Commercial Spacecraft

From left: Shannon Walker, Victor Glover, Michael Hopkins, all NASA astronauts, and Soichi Noguchi, JAXA astronaut
NASA’s SpaceX Crew-1 astronauts participate in crew equipment interface testing at SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California, on Sept. 24, 2020. From left are mission specialist Shannon Walker, pilot Victor Glover, and Crew Dragon commander Michael Hopkins, all NASA astronauts, and mission specialist Soichi Noguchi, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) astronaut. NASA’s SpaceX Crew-1 mission is the first crew rotational flight of a U.S. commercial spacecraft with astronauts to the International Space Station. The Crew-1 mission will launch from Launch Complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Crew-1 is part of NASA's Commercial Crew Program, which has returned human spaceflight capabilities to the U.S.
Credits: SpaceX

NASA will provide coverage of the upcoming prelaunch and launch activities for the agency’s SpaceX Crew-1 mission with astronauts to the International Space Station. This is the first crew rotation flight of the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft on a Falcon 9 rocket following certification by NASA for regular flights to the space station as part of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program.

The launch is targeted for 7:49 p.m. EST Saturday, Nov. 14, from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The Crew Dragon is scheduled to dock to the space station at 4:20 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 15. Launch, prelaunch activities, and docking will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

The Crew-1 flight will carry Crew Dragon Commander Michael Hopkins, Pilot Victor Glover, and Mission Specialist Shannon Walker, all of NASA, along with Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) Mission Specialist Soichi Noguchi to the space station for a six-month science mission.

The deadline has passed for media accreditation for in-person coverage of this launch. More information about media accreditation is available by emailing: ksc-media-accreditat@mail.nasa.gov.

All media participation in the following news conferences will be remote except where specifically listed below, and only a limited number of media will be accommodated at Kennedy due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Please note that the Kennedy Press Site News Center facilities will remain closed throughout these events for the protection of Kennedy employees and journalists, except for a limited number of media who will receive confirmation in writing in the coming days.

NASA’s SpaceX Crew-1 mission coverage is as follows (all times Eastern):

Sunday, Nov. 8

2 p.m. (approximately) – Crew Arrival Media Event at Kennedy with the following participants (limited, previously confirmed in-person media only):

• NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
  • Kennedy Center Director Bob Cabana
  • Junichi Sakai, manager, International Space Station Program, JAXA
  • NASA astronaut Michael Hopkins, spacecraft commander
  • NASA astronaut Victor Glover, pilot
  • NASA astronaut Shannon Walker, mission specialist
  • JAXA astronaut Soichi Noguchi, mission specialist

No teleconference option is available for this event.

Monday, Nov. 9

1:15 p.m. – Virtual Crew Media Engagement at Kennedy with Crew-1 astronauts:

• NASA astronaut Michael Hopkins, spacecraft commander
  • NASA astronaut Victor Glover, pilot
  • NASA astronaut Shannon Walker, mission specialist
  • JAXA astronaut Soichi Noguchi, mission specialist

Media may ask questions via phone only. For the dial-in number and passcode, please contact the newsroom at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston no later than 11:15 a.m. Monday, Nov. 9, at: jsccommu@mail.nasa.gov.

Time TBD – Flight Readiness Review Media Teleconference at Kennedy (no earlier than one hour after completion of the Flight Readiness Review, which may continue Tuesday, Nov. 10) with the following participants:

• Kathy Lueders, associate administrator, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
  • Steve Stich, manager, Commercial Crew Program, Johnson
  • Joel Montalbano, manager, International Space Station, Johnson
  • Norm Knight, deputy manager, Flight Operations Directorate, Johnson
  • Benji Reed, senior director, Human Spaceflight Programs, SpaceX
  • Junichi Sakai, manager, International Space Station Program, JAXA
  • FAA representative

Media may ask questions via phone only. For the dial-in number and passcode, please contact the Kennedy newsroom no later than 5 p.m. Monday, Nov. 9, at: ksc-newsroom@mail.nasa.gov.

Thursday, Nov. 12

Time TBD – Prelaunch News Conference at Kennedy (no earlier than one hour after completion of the Launch Readiness Review) with the following participants:

• Kirt Costello, chief scientist, International Space Station Program, Johnson
  • Norm Knight, deputy manager, Flight Operations Directorate, Johnson
  • Benji Reed, senior director, Human Spaceflight Programs, SpaceX
  • Arlena Moses, launch weather officer, U.S. Air Force 45th Weather Squadron

Media may ask questions via phone only. For the dial-in number and passcode, please contact the Kennedy newsroom no later than noon on Thursday, Nov. 12, at: ksc-newsroom@mail.nasa.gov.

Friday, Nov. 13

10 a.m. – Administrator Countdown Clock Briefing with the following participants (limited, previously confirmed in-person media only):

• Kennedy Center Director Bob Cabana
  • Hiroshi Sasaki, vice president and director general, JAXA’s Human Spaceflight Technology Directorate
  • NASA astronaut representative

No teleconference option is available for this event.

Saturday, Nov. 14

3:30 p.m. – NASA Television launch coverage begins. NASA Television will have continuous coverage, including docking, hatch open, and welcome ceremony, with a news conference following docking activities.

Sunday, Nov. 15

4:20 a.m. – Docking

7 a.m. (approximately) – Welcome Ceremony from the International Space Station

7:20 a.m. (approximately – immediately following Welcome Ceremony) - Post-docking news conference from Johnson with the following participants:

• Kathy Lueders, associate administrator, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
  • Hiroshi Sasaki, vice president and director general, JAXA’s Human Spaceflight Technology Directorate
  • Johnson Center Director Mark Geyer
  • SpaceX representative

Media may ask questions via phone only. For the dial-in number and passcode, please contact the Johnson newsroom no later than 4 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 15, at: jsccommu@mail.nasa.gov.

Monday, Nov. 16

• 2 weeks later...

Central Florida lands hub for Jetsons-like ‘flying cars’

yesterday

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The nation’s first regional hub for “flying cars” is being built in central Florida and once completed in five years, the vehicles will be able to take passengers from Orlando to Tampa in a half hour, officials said Wednesday.

The Tavistock Development Corp. said it was constructing a Jetsons-like aviation facility in Orlando’s Lake Nona area, the mixed-use planned community it built. Lake Nona already is home to several medical and research facilities.

The aircraft will be supplied by Lilium, a Germany-based aviation company that manufacturers the industry’s only five-passenger “electric vertical takeoff and landing” aircraft. At the moment, the Lilium Jets can travel up to 185 miles (nearly 300 kilometers) on a one-hour charge.

Passengers wanting a ride on the aircraft will be able to book reservations via their phones in a way similar to ride-share companies Uber and Lyft, officials said.

The vehicles flying and landing out of the Lake Nona Vertiport will accommodate four passengers and a pilot. The cost will be similar to a first-class fare, though the price will likely go down as the service becomes more popular, officials said.

Unlike airplanes and helicopters, the vehicles offer quick point-to-point personal travel, at least in principle. They could do away with the hassle of airports and traffic jams.

Battery sizes, air traffic control and other infrastructure issues are among the many potential challenges to commercializing them, according to experts. Experts compare the buzz over flying cars to the days when the aviation industry got started with the Wright brothers and the auto industry with the Ford Model T.

The Lake Nona Vertiport has applied for approval from the Federal Aviation Administration and Department of Transportation.

History in the making, this is a full launch by a privately built space craft rather than one built by a government,  set your clocks.  http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

Saturday, Nov. 14

3:30 p.m. – Coverage of the Launch of NASA's SpaceX Crew-1 Mission on the “Resilience” Crew Dragon to the International Space Station (Mike Hopkins, Victor Glover, Shannon Walker, Soichi Noguchi; launch scheduled at 7:49 p.m. EST; coverage will be continuous through docking and hatch opening on Sunday, Nov. 15) – Kennedy Space Center/ Hawthorne, Calif./Johnson Space Center

Sunday, Nov. 15
4:20 a.m. – Docking of the SpaceX “Resilience” Crew Dragon and the Crew-1 Crew to the International Space Station – Hawthorne, Calif./Johnson Space Center
7 a.m. – Hatch Opening and Welcoming Ceremony for the SpaceX “Resilience” Crew Dragon Crew-1 Crew at the International Space Station (Mike Hopkins, Victor Glover, Shannon Walker, Soichi Noguchi) - Hawthorne, Calif./Johnson Space Center

NASA and SpaceX are now targeting 7:27 p.m. EST Sunday, Nov. 15, for liftoff of the agency’s SpaceX Crew-1 mission to fly astronauts from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida to the International Space Station.

Teams moved the launch by one day because of onshore winds and to enable recovery of the first stage booster, which is planned to be reused to launch the Crew-2 mission next year. The booster is expected to land on the recovery ship about nine minutes after launch.

NASA will provide continuous coverage - more than 30 hours - of the prelaunch, launch, docking and arrival activities for the first crew rotation flight of the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft on a Falcon 9 rocket following certification by NASA for regular flights to the space station as part of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program.

The Crew Dragon is scheduled to dock to the space station around 11 p.m. Monday, Nov. 16. Launch, prelaunch activities, and docking will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

SpaceX delays 2nd crew flight until Sunday, citing high winds

By Marcia Dunn  The Associated Press
Posted November 14, 2020 7:32 am
 Updated November 14, 2020 7:35 am

SpaceX delayed its second astronaut flight by a day because of high wind and weather conditions that could jeopardize the recovery and recycling of the rocket booster, pushing the launch to Sunday.

Friday’s postponement news came after SpaceX chief Elon Musk disclosed he had gotten mixed test results for COVID-19 and was awaiting the outcome of a more definitive test.

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said anyone testing positive for COVID-19 must quarantine under NASA policy and remain isolated. Officials said contact tracing by SpaceX found no link between Musk and any personnel in close touch with the four astronauts, who remain cleared for flight.

“I can assure everyone that we’re looking good for the (crew) launch and all of the critical personnel involved,” said SpaceX’s Benji Reed, senior director for human spaceflight.

It wasn’t immediately known if Musk would be allowed at the Kennedy Space Center launching site even if later tests came up negative.

Norm Knight, a deputy manager at NASA, said the guidelines are rigid for restricting access to astronauts before flight in order to keep them safe and healthy.

“No one’s above this access. It doesn’t matter if you’re Elon Musk or Jim Bridenstine,” Knight said at a news conference Friday night. “If you have not met those protocols, or if any of those protocols have been compromised, then we’re not going to let you near the crew.”

Click to play video '‘Quite an odyssey’: NASA astronauts speak after historic splashdown in SpaceX capsule'2:35‘Quite an odyssey’: NASA astronauts speak after historic splashdown in SpaceX capsule

‘Quite an odyssey’: NASA astronauts speak after historic splashdown in SpaceX capsule – Aug 2, 2020

Musk said via Twitter that he tested positive for coronavirus, then negative twice, then positive again. He said he wasn’t feeling too well the past few days — sniffles, cough, low fever — but currently had no symptoms.

“So `Elon Musk Tests Negative for Covid’ is an equally correct title,” he tweeted.

Musk said his first tests were rapid tests, and he was awaiting the results of lab tests. The 15-minute rapid tests are less sensitive than the lab tests, which take hours longer to process.

NASA and SpaceX representatives wouldn’t say where Musk was Friday, although officials confirmed he was not at Kennedy. His company is based in Southern California, where he makes his home. He was inside Kennedy’s Launch Control last May for SpaceX’s first astronaut flight last May.

Four astronauts — three Americans and one Japanese — are scheduled to rocket to the International Space Station on Sunday night.

One of the test pilots on SpaceX’s first astronaut flight, Doug Hurley, said he’s certain Musk will be involved with the launch — regardless of where he is.

“Knowing Elon the way I do, they will figure out a way for him to be very much connected,” Hurley told The Associated Press from Houston.

The upcoming crew flight comes just three months after the end of the test flight with Hurley and Bob Behnken, both NASA astronauts. The four astronauts are going up for a full space station stay of five to six months. They will be replaced in the spring by yet another crew launched by SpaceX.board SpaceX Dragon, says toilet aboard ‘worked very well’

Astronaut Doug Hurley describes experience aboard SpaceX Dragon, says toilet aboard ‘worked very well’ – Jun 1, 2020

The latest launch was bumped a day in order to give SpaceX’s booster-landing platform enough time to get into position in the Atlantic, given the rough seas in the wake of Tropical Storm Eta. NASA and SpaceX are especially eager to retrieve this first-stage booster; it will be used for the next crew launch.

NASA turned over space station ferry trips to SpaceX and Boeing, which has yet to launch anyone, following the retirement of the shuttle fleet in 2011. The space agency is looking to save big by no longer having to buy seats on Russian Soyuz capsules for U.S. astronauts. The last ticket, used by a NASA astronaut launched from Kazakhstan in October, cost $90 million.

One launch pad over, meanwhile, an Atlas V rocket thundered into the sunset Friday with a classified spy satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office. The launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station had been delayed repeatedly by pad and weather issues.

Why Elon Musk's SpaceX is launching astronauts for Nasa

By Paul Rincon

Elon Musk's SpaceX is flying people to and from the International Space Station (ISS), using the Crew Dragon vehicle. But why is Nasa paying a private company to launch its astronauts?

To understand the background to the Crew Dragon missions, we need to go back almost 20 years to a tragic accident.

On 1 February 2003, the space shuttle Columbia broke apart while re-entering the Earth's atmosphere. All seven astronauts aboard perished in the disaster.

The loss of Columbia and its crew was the trigger for a dramatic shift in direction for America's human spaceflight programme.

On 14 January 2004, President George W Bush announced that the space shuttle would be retired after completion of the International Space Station (ISS). In its place, America would build a new vehicle capable of returning astronauts to the Moon.

Nasa conceived of the Orion spacecraft as a replacement to the shuttle

The following year, then-Nasa chief Mike Griffin announced that the completion of the ISS would, for the first time, open up commercial opportunities for the routine transportation of cargo and astronauts to low-Earth orbit.

This, Griffin reasoned, was required to free up enough funds to achieve a Moon return. Nasa established a Commercial Crew & Cargo Program Office (C3PO) to oversee the effort.

At the time, SpaceX, the company started by South African-born entrepreneur Elon Musk was just a few years old. Musk had lofty ambitions about bringing down the cost of spaceflight by re-using space hardware and settling humans on Mars.

"SpaceX was founded to make life multi-planetary," says Jessica Jensen, director of Starship mission hardware and operation at SpaceX.

But, she adds: "We were a very small company for several years. So we had to look for opportunities - how do you go from being a small company to actually putting people into orbit. When Nasa came out with the need to fly cargo to and from the International Space Station, we jumped on that."

The Dragon 1 spacecraft was designed to carry cargo to and from the space station

SpaceX was shortlisted for evaluation under the Nasa cargo programme in 2006. But by 2008, SpaceX and Tesla, the electric car manufacturer in which Musk had invested, were running low on cash. Musk was faced with an impossible choice: "I could either split the funds that I had between the two companies, or focus it on one company - with certain death for the other," he told Business Insider in 2013.

"I decided in the end to split what I had and try to keep both companies alive. But that could have been a terrible decision that could have resulted in both companies dying."

Fortunately, on 23 December 2008, Nasa awarded SpaceX with a $1.6bn contract to ferry cargo and supplies to the ISS. Describing his reaction, Musk said: "I couldn't even maintain my composure, I was like: 'I love you guys'."

The company's Dragon 1 capsule could carry cargo and supplies, but not humans. Nevertheless, it represented a milestone for the company.

In November 2008, Barack Obama had been elected president. His administration kicked off a review of the human spaceflight programme, which led to the cancellation of his predecessor's plan to return to the Moon (known as Constellation).

SpaceX performed a successful flight to the space station without crew in 2019

However, the Obama administration favoured the continued commercialisation of space, backing the development of private crew vehicles. But it would take time and, after the space shuttle was retired, Nasa had to fill the gap by paying Russia tens of millions of dollars per seat to fly its astronauts to the ISS on the Soyuz vehicle, which launches from Baikonur in Kazakhstan.

Congress was initially sceptical about the Commercial Crew Program and did not provide sufficient funds at first. But Charles Bolden, the former astronaut who took over from Griffin as Nasa chief under Obama, persisted and eventually secured the support he needed.

From their initial $50m investment in the programme in 2010, the space agency whittled several competing companies down to two - SpaceX and Boeing - in 2014.

Since then, they have been refining and testing their spacecraft designs.

In March 2019, SpaceX performed a triumphant launch of the Crew Dragon without astronauts. Using automated procedures, the capsule successfully approached and docked with the space station.

It was carrying a mannequin called Ripley - after Ellen Ripley, the protagonist in the Alien movies - decked out with sensors to measure the G forces experienced during flight, particularly the launch and return phases.

Despite this success, and others along the way, it hasn't always been plain sailing for SpaceX. In 2016, a Falcon 9 rocket blew up on the launch pad. And in April 2019, a Crew Dragon capsule exploded during a so-called static fire test on the ground. No one was hurt in either event.

The spacecraft was also having problems with the parachute system designed to bring it back safely to Earth.

These mishaps, along with earlier funding shortfalls for the Commercial Crew Program, had introduced delays to an original timeline that would have seen SpaceX launch crew to the ISS in October 2016.

Frustrated by the hold ups and the time SpaceX was spending on its Starship project to build a super heavy-lift launch vehicle, Nasa administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted

September 27, 2019

Bridenstine sent the tweet the night before a major Starship media event where Musk was due to speak.

The next day, Musk shot back with a dig at the agency's own timelines. Asked about the tweet by CNN, Musk answered: "Did he (Bridenstine) say Commercial Crew or SLS?"

The SpaceX founder was referring to Nasa's Space Launch System rocket - designed to launch humans to the Moon - which has also been hit by delays and cost overruns.

Musk's company wasn't alone in experiencing challenges, however. A timing anomaly prevented Boeing's spacecraft - the CST-100 Starliner - from docking with the space station during an uncrewed test flight last year.

media caption"Go Nasa, go SpaceX. God speed Bob and Doug"

However, a successful in-flight test of the Crew Dragon's launch abort system in January 2020 helped clear the way for the historic first lift-off with astronauts from Florida's Kennedy Space Center on 30 May.

Nasa's Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken spent two months aboard the ISS before returning to Earth safely in the capsule.

In the post-launch press conference, both Bridenstine and Musk struck more conciliatory tones, in contrast to the tensions over the Starship project.

"If you would have told me then (eight months prior, when he sent the tweet) that we would be right here today, I don't know that I would have believed it," said Bridenstine.

"Since that day, Elon Musk and SpaceX have delivered on everything Nasa has asked them to deliver on - and at a speed that we never would have guessed."

The Nasa chief also congratulated SpaceX on its safety culture. Musk replied: "Nasa made us way better than we would otherwise have been - and of course, we couldn't even have got started without Nasa."