CYYZ CBSA officers - and these guys have unrestricted access and no need to get searched

anonymous

Canadian border agents at Toronto’s Pearson airport arrested on suspicion of drug smuggling

c22fbe20799d91fae8089156012b711a?s=34&d=mm

Postmedia News | April 28, 2017 10:54 AM ET
More from Postmedia News

Cocaine seized by RCMP in a drug bust that included a Barrie border security agent
RCMP handoutCocaine seized by RCMP in a drug bust that included a Barrie border security agent

Two Canadian border agents are among five people arrested on suspicion of drug smuggling.

The RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) said the agents worked at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. Charged with offences including breach of trust, conspiracy, and importing a narcotic are CBSA agents Patrick Ruddy, 37, of Toronto, and Brano Andrews, 41, of Barrie, Ont.

Facing similar charges are Roberto Leyva, 32, of Niagara Falls, Ont., and Keith Hamid, 41, and Rennie Escoffery, 57, both of Brampton, Ont.

“Serious and organized crime in Canada is a multi-faceted and borderless problem impacting all Canadians, directly or indirectly”, said RCMP Insp. Donna Streeter. Allegations of improper or illegal behaviour by CBSA employees are taken very seriously

“Through a variety of specialized programs and teams, the RCMP combats serious and organized crime by implementing intelligence-led police operations with the collaboration of domestic and international partners,” she added.

“The results of this investigation are an example of the partnership between our two enforcement agencies with the shared mandate of public safety,” Streeter said.

The RCMP state the joint investigation, which lasted more than a year, led to the co-ordinated seizures of cocaine shipped from Colombia and Jamaica destined for Toronto.

They further allege the two Canadian agents facilitated the importation of more than 30 kilograms of cocaine between January 2016 and April of this year.

“Allegations of improper or illegal behaviour by CBSA employees are taken very seriously,” said Goran Vragovic, CBSA regional director general. “These allegations in no way reflect upon the true professionalism, dedication and integrity displayed each and every day by our CBSA staff.”

All men were to appear in a Brampton court on Thursday.

The RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) said the agents worked at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. Charged with offences including breach of trust, conspiracy, and importing a narcotic are CBSA agents Patrick Ruddy, 37, of Toronto, and Brano Andrews, 41, of Barrie, Ont.

I'm curious how many years of service these two individuals had with CBSA?  

It does not surprise me one bit.

In my years I have known 3 CBSA officers well:

The first was my friends mom, she worked land crossings and when she started dating a biker it wasn't long before she was wrapped up in things... I don't think she was ever caught but that 25 years ago...

One was my friend brother who had a criminal and drug filled past - last time I saw him he was bragging about the difficult time he was giving regular people and making racist jokes about someone he sent for a strip search. He's now estranged from the family and an instructor in the CBSA. 

One started with the goal of getting experience and transferring into the foreign service, embassy work sorta stuff. His words were he had to quit when he found he became so wrapped up in the negative, demeaning, aggressive culture of Canada's CBSA. He is now a nurse in Calgary. We are still friends.

For most of those in CBSA, it isn't a permanent career goal, more of best thing they could come across at the time. There is a lot of resentment in some cases because they washed out, or didn't get selected in the RCMP or city police or similar.

For most of those in CBSA, it isn't a permanent career goal, more of best thing they could come across at the time. There is a lot of resentment in some cases because they washed out, or didn't get selected in the RCMP or city police or similar.

.....or the post office wasn't hiring that week. :) 

Archived