Hurricane Matthew

blues deville

This strong end of season hurricane has already done some damage in Haiti and Cuba with its sights set on the US eastern coastline. Its exact path seems to be unknown. Westjet has already cancelled my son's Friday flight home from FLL and rescheduled it for Saturday afternoon. Doesn't really fit in to our weekend holiday plans so he re-booked on AC who apparently will operate their Friday evening flight to YYZ. I think the storm center will be near Daytona Beach by Friday pm so hopefully AC/rouge will complete their flight close to scheduled times. I was a little surprised to see WS cancel and re-schedule so early but perhaps in this case a planned offence is better than an irops defence. 

Mobile app is not returning anything either

Nevermind just really slow o respond.  Flight still shows scheduled but we are over 24 hours out.  Judging by the press conference it may be hairy as they are telling everyone in coastal zones to leave.

They are saying the ground fall will be Palm Beach.  Category 4 or 5 and are evacuating everyone.  The weather maps show it already affecting the coast so over the next several hours it is going to get worse.  No telling what the impact will be but FLL is not far from Palm beach.

Thanks boestar. It looks like the winds at MIA and FLL are going to peak around 8pm tonight and start to subside by morning to something more operational. My kid lives in Pompano Beach which is south of PBI. He drove over to the west side gulf beaches at Indian Shores. Popular area for Ontarians.  

Fly.faa.gov posted this:

Due to WEATHER / HURRICANE MATTHEW, the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL) was closed as of Oct 06 at 11:00 AM EDT.  The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Oct 07 at 11:00 AM EDT.

MCO closed down last (Thurs) at 8;00 pm.  It's supposed to be closed all of Friday but I'm here in the thick of it south of Orlando under the 'HURRICANE WARNING' conditions and with a curfew in effect but wouldn't be surprised it it opened up and restarted operations later today.  At the very last I understand AC will be adding a few few extra flights with upgauged aircraft over the weekend. 

The storm lost a bit of strength last night.  Winds are mild right now after the peak and the gusts don't seem particularly high.  There's no flooding and after a short walk this morning with just an umbrella I didn't use I saw some debris but not a single broken tree limb.   I've seen much worse in Toronto in August.

It's interesting to watch the crowd dynamics prior to the event.  There was a definite sense of urgency in the air as people rushed around at the last minute to get emergency supplies but most folks maintained their cool.  A few of course went into panic mode - My wife had to surrender her 2 scented candles to a panicked threatening woman who had already cleaned off the main candle shelf.  A half hour later that same lady later chased down my wife in the store to give her the candles back.  The gas station lineups were curious - Some stations were sold out.  Some would only give out $20 rations and some were gouging  ($5.50/gallon).. As you might expect there were a few vehicle owners cutting through the lines to get their gas..  What are you going to do in a state that has the Stand your Ground law in effect?.      

Archived