G G Caves

Kip Powick

OTTAWA—Governor-General David Johnston has agreed to meet First Nations leaders at Rideau Hall following their meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday.

“The Prime Minister has asked the Gov. Gen. to host a ceremonial meeting with First Nations leaders at Rideau Hall following the working meeting on Friday afternoon, and the Gov. Gen. has accepted,” said a statement from the PMO emailed to the media on Thursday afternoon.

The announcement came just as the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs was wrapping up a news conference in Ottawa where they threatened to boycott the Friday meeting unless Johnston attended and suggested other aboriginal leaders would reveal similar positions throughout the day.

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence, who has been avoiding solid foods while living in a teepee on a small island up the Ottawa River from Parliament Hill since Dec. 11, announced on Wednesday that she would not attend the meeting unless Johnston was there.

On Tuesday, Rideau Hall announced Johnston would not attend what has been described as a “working meeting” to discuss government policy issues.

The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs ended their news conference just as the announcement came, so it remains unknown whether a “ceremonial meeting” at Rideau Hall would be enough to satisfy them on this issue.

Rideau Hall later announced the meeting would take place at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

“His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, has accepted to host a ceremonial meeting at Rideau Hall on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 6:30 p.m., where First Nations leaders will be welcomed following the working meeting with the Prime Minister and Government officials,” said a statement from the Rideau Hall press office.

At first I was disappointed that the GG had acquiesced but on second thought I expect the "Theresa Spence" show to be such a train wreck that it might be for the best. Let's get as much of the dirty wash done as we can while we have the firehose going!

The whole idea of the protests and meetings is disgusting.

I didn't think that the PM should be held to ransom let alone the Governor General.

But in the end it takes away the attitude from the Indians that someone is a martyr.

Kip: how do you see it as the "GG Caves" when he is only meeting upon the request of the PM and at that , it will be after the meeting of the Chiefs.

Pretty simple.... The GG , through the PM, gave in to Spence's demand...oh sure, he won't be at the "meeting" but she gets her way and will have a 'face-to-face' with the GG even though the "meeting" is over or do you really think she will not be able to approach the GG. This move by the PM/GG just shows how much backbone the present government has when it comes to dealing with individuals who have been bleeding this country for decades, and will do so forever because it is easy as hell if you are not a tax paying Canadian. The whole issue disgusts me..

And here in Ontario we have school teachers going on strike on Friday, even though a contract was imposed upon them by the government with a "no strike clause" included. The union is going to get around that by saying it is not a 'strike' but a 'protest,' which according to the Human Rights Charter, is not a strike.

I wish Reagan, (the ATC issue), was around...fire them all and hire people who want to work. Plenty of graduate teachers out there who now have to wait about 4 years to fill a vacancy.

Rant over :angry_smile:

I wish Reagan, (the ATC issue), was around...fire them all and hire people who want to work. Plenty of graduate teachers out there who now have to wait about 4 years to fill a vacancy.

Rant over :angry_smile:

Jeeez Kip, you're sounding more and more like my old uncle - his solution for everything was; "fire them all and hire someone who wants to work!" I don't live in Ontario and don't care to spend any time learning about the teachers' situation but I do know that when you take away a union's right to strike you should budget for a little blowback.

Exactly, McGuinty walked away from the table with little in the way of real negotiations and then brings out a Howitzer to resolve an "impasse". Don't poke a bear if you're not prepared to see it gnashing its teeth a little.

It's a one day protest Kip... Nobody likes to be told they have no right to strike. I agree with their protest and applaud their actions.

Yeh, the speed limit on Wallbridge Loyalist Road was 80kph.

The police advised everyone for about 3 months that the speed was going to be reduced to 60kph. It was reduced on Monday. Saw laser radar on it yesterday and cars getting tickets...maybe they can convince the judge that the LAW is not fair and they were just doing a one day protest.......

Mitch.., in the mid 1980s, Canada was second to Italy in productivity days lost due to Union sanctioned strikes......I'm afraid I am not partial to unions, or their tactics ...............in most cases.............. and if the teachers can't see the economic situation in Canada and the world today, they must have just fallen out of a tree.

How many days does the normal 'Joe' work a year, and how many holidays does he get ,and how many of these 'Joes' have gold plated pensions??

And that my friend is my last post on this issue....guaranteed. :glare:

Found this on other social media, attributed to a post on CTV.CA.....
A comment from a reader on CTVNews.ca:

"…It doesn't matter if you love teachers or you hate teachers. It doesn't matter if you don't care about teachers at all. What everyone should be concerned about is the government and their new tactic of "convenience laws" that violate pre-existing laws. The government has target...ed a specific group of people and are rallying hatred towards them while they enacted legislation that violates pre-existing human and legal rights. *THAT* is what this is about. *THAT* is the whole problem. If you take away all the 'he said' 'she said' and whom is involved, and any of the side issues (nobody cared whether extras were happening until they weren't anyway) then you boil it all down to the above statement. And no, it doesn't matter that they said they're repealing the law. They've used it. It's too late. Now, whenever people refuse to something the government wants, they will enact legislation that tramples those people's rights in order to make them do what was wanted; and once the people do it, the government will repeal the law, thus saving themselves from any responsibility or legal challenge. That is simply terrifying. I guess if I wondered what it was like to live with a dictatorship that the general public tacitly approved of...I now know. "

Archived